PSA Grading Question

My first ever submission (12 cards) is now showing as being at the shipping stage of the time-line. Is there anyway to see what grades you received? or do you have to wait until you physically receive the cards back?

Any advice much appreciated
Not sure, we always use 3rd parties to handle this, doing a first time BGS though, not PSA sorry.

Pretty sure BGS email you the grade if you paid for the premium service. I’m assuming PSA would offer something similar. Might just have to wait it out. Please share what they were when they come back :)

Nice, look forward to hearing, doubt there is many 10's due to centering, but they have been generous on some cards that I have seen as 10's this year with prizm

I hope I get 1 PSA10. That will have been worth it. If they are all 9 and less it will have been $500 down the plughole. It seems that a PSA 9 is roughly the equivalent of a raw version give or take( with most modern cards) .

Two of the cards I'm keeping slabbed regardless of the grade, but any of the others that get 8.5 's will need to be cracked. Even a 9 might be crack-worthy, especially SSP.

I'll post them up as soon as I get them back.

Pretty sure the Aaron Judge 2018 Topps Chrome 1983 Topps Orange Refractor Autograph got a PSA 9 because there weren't any in the pop reports previously and now there's 1. Not sure if I've potentially gained or lost anything commercially, in that instance.

The Andres Gimenez 2018 Bowman Prospects Autographs Red Shimmer /5 looks like it got an 8. There's 3 graded and I'm pretty sure there was already a PSA 9 and a PSA 10. That sucks.

Edit: Just remembered I put in a minimum 9 for the Gimenez card. The PSA 8 is not mine. Got to stop stressing!

Last edited:
I hope I get 1 PSA10. That will have been worth it. If they are all 9 and less it will have been $500 down the plughole. It seems that a PSA 9 is roughly the equivalent of a raw version give or take( with most modern cards) .

Two of the cards I'm keeping slabbed regardless of the grade, but any of the others that get 8.5 's will need to be cracked. Even a 9 might be crack-worthy, especially SSP.

I'll post them up as soon as I get them back.

Yes its interesting a BGS 9.5 is about a PSA 10 but the market under values the BGS 9.5. We have been happily buying BGS 9.5 of Giannis and Tatum rookies at great prices, a nice way to get these champs who could MVP at a discounted rate.

Got 9 BGS submissions and about 10 PSA submissions on the go, will see how they pan out.

Yes its interesting a BGS 9.5 is about a PSA 10 but the market under values the BGS 9.5. We have been happily buying BGS 9.5 of Giannis and Tatum rookies at great prices, a nice way to get these champs who could MVP at a discounted rate.

Got 9 BGS submissions and about 10 PSA submissions on the go, will see how they pan out.

I considered BGS, but it was around $50 per card as opposed to $20 for PSA. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the BGS 10 and the Black Label. Words can not adequately describe the ridiculousness of that. That caper is straight from Gimmickery 101 and they lose - or at least ought to lose- a lot of credibility for that.

Can't go wrong buying Giannis and Tatum. Very sound choices. I just flipped a couple of Tatums for a minimal profit( not too bad % wise) but his prices have a lot of room for growth and he's a hold until the at least the end of the season and probably beyond. If Boston go deep in the finals and Tatum's balling( imagine if the Celtics take down the Bucks? ) his prices will go nuts. Wish I'd bought a few more Tatums. So undervalued.

And regardless of the outcome of my first grading experience my love of the hobby is growing stronger by the week. Two and a bit years in now and it's getting more and more enjoyable as you start to see how diverse and dynamic it is. I haven't succeeded in making any converts out of friends and family but there are definitely some signs of curiosity creeping in here and there - mainly the ears prick up when they hear of a successful flip - as they see how passionate I'm becoming about it.

Just loving the hobby at the moment.

Last edited:
And regardless of the outcome of my first grading experience my love of the hobby is growing stronger by the week. Two and a bit years in now and it's getting more and more enjoyable as you start to see how diverse and dynamic it is. I haven't succeeded in making any converts out of friends and family but there are definitely some signs of curiosity creeping in here and there - mainly the ears prick up when they hear of a successful flip - as they see how passionate I'm becoming about it.

Just loving the hobby at the moment.
Yeah thats great, I share it all with my kids, they love it, are NBA stat fans now, have the Luka bug etc, really enjoyable :)

One of the things about selecting cards to grade is take any emotion out of it and carefully check your cards. If you want nothing less than a PSA 10 then you need to be brutally honest with yourself, because the person grading your cards will be 😁

I hear you mate. And perhaps in future I will be much more selective and may just send a few off to a third party to be cleaned and bulk submitted. Having said that, one gets the feeling that they go marginally easier (and maybe they should) on cards like /5, especially when there are /10, /25, /50, /150, /250 etc. in the same product. I don't mean high end product where everything is low numbered.

I honestly doubt they would ever give the Bowman Chrome RC Ohtani Superfractor less than a 9. It would look very bad all round if cards like that get poor grades ( unless of course the flaws were very obvious, even to the untrained eye).

I did check the cards closely ( one was a BGS 8.5 which I cracked hoping for a PSA 9). Most had very sharp corners, good edges and good surfaces. And I wiped them down with a micro fibre cloth.

I would love to do more grading in future but not if I'm losing money each and every time. If it is a poor result across the board this time I'll give it another try with someone who really knows their stuff, but if that fails too, then raw it shall be.

I'll try to post close up picks when I get them back and see what some of the more experienced members think? Again, any advice is always much appreciated.

I hear you mate. And perhaps in future I will be much more selective and may just send a few off to a third party to be cleaned and bulk submitted. Having said that, one gets the feeling that they go marginally easier (and maybe they should) on cards like /5, especially when there are /10, /25, /50, /150, /250 etc. in the same product. I don't mean high end product where everything is low numbered.

I honestly doubt they would ever give the Bowman Chrome RC Ohtani Superfractor less than a 9. It would look very bad all round if cards like that get poor grades ( unless of course the flaws were very obvious, even to the untrained eye).

I did check the cards closely ( one was a BGS 8.5 which I cracked hoping for a PSA 9). Most had very sharp corners, good edges and good surfaces. And I wiped them down with a micro fibre cloth.

I would love to do more grading in future but not if I'm losing money each and every time. If it is a poor result across the board this time I'll give it another try with someone who really knows their stuff, but if that fails too, then raw it shall be.

I'll try to post close up picks when I get them back and see what some of the more experienced members think? Again, any advice is always much appreciated.
It would be interesting to hear the conversations between Panini and BGS/PSA, as grades would pressure the Panini QA department.

Turns out the only thing stopping the grades from showing was a functioning credit card!

I'll try to copy the results. It's a mixed bag to say the least. I did get 1 PSA10 but I also got a PSA8 which I cracked out of a BGS 8.5. Also copped a PSA6 which is the only one of its kind in the pop report.

Fair to say the Pliers and screwdriver will be called into action when the cards are returned. Hopefully the PSA 10 covers a significant part of the overall cost.

Another step on the hobby path.

Last edited:
11 45505437 GEM MINT 10 2019 Bowman Prospect Autographs Chrome Vmj Victor Mesa Jr. Gold Refractor Card
21 45505438 MINT 9 2018 Bowman Prospect Autographs Chrome AG Andres Gimenez Red Shimmer Card
31 45505439 MINT 9 2018 Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs Cpaef Estevan Florial Blue Refractor Card
41 45505440 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2016 Bowman Draft Chrome Draft Picks Autographs Cdadc Dylan Carlson Purple Refractor Card
51 45505441 NEAR MINT 7 2016 Bowman Draft Chrome Draft Picks Autographs Cdadc Dylan Carlson Refractor Card
61 45505442 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2016 Bowman Draft Chrome Draft Picks Autographs Cdadc Dylan Carlson Card
71 45505443 MINT 9 2010 Bowman Sterling Prospects Bspcy Christian Yelich Autograph Card
81 45505444 MINT 9 2018 Topps Chrome 1983 Topps Autographs AJ Aaron Judge Orange Refractor

91 45505445 MINT 9 2018 Topps Pro Debut 50 Gleyber Torres Autograph-Orange Card
101 45505446 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2018 Topps Update US200 Gleyber Torres Pinstripe Jersey-Gold Card
111 45505447 EXCELLENT 5 2018 Topps 699 Gleyber Torres Card
121 45505448 MINT 9 2018 Panini Prizm 299 Dallas Goedert Gold Vinyl

Last edited:
The 2 Gleybers were the real disappointments. The 3 Dylan Carlsons were a gamble. I'll be cracking 5 out of the 12.

I was offered $200US on the Aaron Judge raw a while ago. Not sure if the 9 adds, or subtracts value or remains the same. Find out soon enough. The Yelich and the Torres autos I'm keeping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom