PS3 Play TV

Probably depends a bit on the recording device/codec that is used. A 500 Gb drive should serve you pretty well though.

Here is a list from the whirlpool forums:

Sample recording sizes for Melbourne (November 2009, sizes may change over time and differ in different regions):

Channel Hour:Minutes Size
ABC1 1:00 2.75GB
ABC1 0:35 1.5GB
ABC2 0:50 1.75GB
ABCHD 0:30 2.2GB

SBS1 1:00 2.15GB
SBS2 1:00 1.55GB
SBS HD 1:00 4.25GB

7 SD 0:35 1.5GB
7TWO SD 1:10 2.25GB
7 HD 1:10 6GB

Nine SD 0:35 1.65GB
Nine SD 1:00 2.75GB
Nine HD 1:10 6.5GB
Nine HD 0:30 2.7GB

Go! 1:05 1.4GB

Ten SD 1:10 2.35GB

One SD 0:30 0.80GB
One HD 0:30 2.85GB

Thanks heaps for the info Doc :thumbsup:

So a full day of cricket is only going to eat up around 40 gig :lol:

WOW! Never heard of it but it does sound fantastic.
And you can watch one HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (AND RECORD)

Other countries have had it for ages now and the aus release date has been continually pushed forward...

i still havent brought a ps3 or xbox 360 as ive been waiting for this..i heard about it when ps3 got released but now i might have just made a decision to buy instead of having to buy a HD recorder! when you get it mate keep us informed of how it goes.

how would you connect it all to surround sound though? would you run sound through the ps3 to tv or ps3 to surround sound?

i still havent brought a ps3 or xbox 360 as ive been waiting for this..i heard about it when ps3 got released but now i might have just made a decision to buy instead of having to buy a HD recorder! when you get it mate keep us informed of how it goes.

how would you connect it all to surround sound though? would you run sound through the ps3 to tv or ps3 to surround sound?

If you have a new receiver, you can HDMI from PS3 to receiver and then receiver to TV, for both sound and vision.

If you have an old HiFi, you can still output digital optical from PS3 to the HiFi.

If you have a new receiver, you can HDMI from PS3 to receiver and then receiver to TV, for both sound and vision.

If you have an old HiFi, you can still output digital optical from PS3 to the HiFi.

ahhh the good dr....always prescribing the right remedy!!

i think this play tv thing is a great idea if it actually does the job, would negate the need for a dvd/blu ray player and a HD recorder meaning all you'd have is ur tv and the ps3 and your speakers.....im really hoping its as good in real life as it is in theory. i might have to sell my blu ray player and redesign my home ent unit im about to have made!!

I thought it was coming out this week? Nov 19th release date was my understanding.

Was hoping to pick mine up tomorrow as well, might be a bit longer wait now. Still would like to find out if you can transfer the recorded data to a external HHD.

Howzat, 500gb is the way to go! Currently got one in my PS3, you cant go wrong!

Yeah exactly what the doc said about the HDMI cable :thumbsup:

I think it will work great slobby :D Other countries have had it for a long time now, but Sony has encountered troubles with oz broadcasters and access to epg's (don't know the full story)

You could be right 911turbo! The online date is the 26th, but might be able to get it instore this week. I have a 500gb samsung drive coming - $127dlvd, should arrive this week. Hopefully it is as easy to swap over as it appears!

As for the external HDD, I tried a spare 320gb external HDD, but the PS3 didn't recognise it, maybe it would recognise smaller external drives?! 120's?

At the end of the day I just hope the mrs doesn't start filling it with all the old home and away reruns that 7two are playing :mad:

Yeah exactly what the doc said about the HDMI cable :thumbsup:

I think it will work great slobby :D Other countries have had it for a long time now, but Sony has encountered troubles with oz broadcasters and access to epg's (don't know the full story)

You could be right 911turbo! The online date is the 26th, but might be able to get it instore this week. I have a 500gb samsung drive coming - $127dlvd, should arrive this week. Hopefully it is as easy to swap over as it appears!

As for the external HDD, I tried a spare 320gb external HDD, but the PS3 didn't recognise it, maybe it would recognise smaller external drives?! 120's?

At the end of the day I just hope the mrs doesn't start filling it with all the old home and away reruns that 7two are playing :mad:

Looks like its been pushed back a week, might have mine by the weekend though. One of the only good reasons to work at a large electrical retailer :p

Apparently the swapover is quite easy. However, if you have a lot of saved games on there, might not be able to copy them across. When i upgraded the HDD, i lost all my game saves and game data :( Luckily i didnt have many game saves.

As for the external, i have a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive, and the PS3 recognises it. Might depend on the brand and how the hard drive is set up.

For example, ive been told PS3s wont recognise hard drives with multiple partitions (eg - 1TB is split into 2 x 500gb partitions). Might not be the correct terminology, but its the best i could do :p

Looks like its been pushed back a week, might have mine by the weekend though. One of the only good reasons to work at a large electrical retailer :p

Apparently the swapover is quite easy. However, if you have a lot of saved games on there, might not be able to copy them across. When i upgraded the HDD, i lost all my game saves and game data :( Luckily i didnt have many game saves.

As for the external, i have a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive, and the PS3 recognises it. Might depend on the brand and how the hard drive is set up.

For example, ive been told PS3s wont recognise hard drives with multiple partitions (eg - 1TB is split into 2 x 500gb partitions). Might not be the correct terminology, but its the best i could do :p

The swapover is a piece of cake. You can actually make a backup of your current PS3 HDD directly to an external (USB) drive, then after you put in the new HDD and format it in the PS3, you can restore the files to the new internal drive.

Recognising external drives depends mainly on the formatting, it needs to be FAT32 (not NTFS, the standard for large HDD's), so you need to use a special formatting utility on your PC to format before the PS3 will recognise it.

I am not the best on computers had know idea what i was doing but managed to upgrade my ps3 from 40gb to 320 and all my games transfered across. If you type in online there are guides everywhere or go to the sony website they pretty much guide u step by step.

Well, i picked mine up today :) Havent installed yet, hopefully will do that tomorrow.

Anyone bought it? Positives/negatives?

EDIT: Well, i got bored and installed it tonight :D

Simple to install, pretty easy to use. Only problem i had was no or bugger all signal from ABC and Seven :( Hopefully it was only a once-off thing and not a constant :mad:

would love to hear what people think of this...im thinking of getting a ps3 and this play tv

Thanks for the advice Doc and 911 :thumbsup: I changed the HDD and set up playtv all in about an hour, including backing up, formatting etc! All channels have great signal strength. Set it up in background recording mode (so you can record while watching a blu ray or playing a game) and it says the quality of the recording can be affected, so I will pass judgement when I watch the Real NBA show that I am recording :) Seems great so far!!! Now my entertainment unit just has the 50", receiver and PS3 (playtv box is tucked away) and I can do everything I want to do :D

Im still having problems with my signal, sometimes it wont show any ABC channels.

Its all a bit weird, considering i have never had any trouble with signal strength with my STB.

Ive done a couple of channel scans, each with different results :p Got a new antenna cable, hopefully that fixes it up :thumbsup:

Other than that, im glad i bought it. Only recorded one show so far to test it, and it seemed to turn out fine.

ok now im pretty confused about this play tv thing. Im normally pretty good with this sorta thing but at this point of time im abit confused. Does the play tv PICK UP extra "free to air" channels such as ABC2, GO and Seven2 OR does it only allow you to RECORD these programs?

Simply put- does it recieve the "extra" channels OR does it simply give you the option of recording these "extra" channels?

Im my household currently we have one top box to pick up the extra free to air channels - but i was recently looking to buy another one for my bedroom - however i feel as if i should wait until i understand this play tv setup before i make my choice.

EDIT!: i did a upgrade on my ps3 today so it now has 320gb - so i no longer need help with this!

Thanks for any help guys :)
Brplat

hey guys hows your play tv's going....i have been hearing mixed results

Back
Top Bottom