Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

adhunt99

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
adhunt99
Hey guys, I know we've had this discussion many times, but here's my question.

Should I give neutral or positive feedback for this seller:

Charged US$6 for postage within Australia (approx A$8).
Postage was stated in the auction.
Contacted the seller after auction to see if it could be cheaper - seller said no.
Item was in a bubble mailer and toploader.
Postage was $1.10.

So I guess I'm annoyed, as that was a blatent rip off, but it was stated in the auction. Definitely not worth a neg, but I don't feel that my experience was 100% positive (despite getting a good card cheaply).

Thoughts? :wave:

well ill be adding you to me can not bid list. thanks. Don't like the postage cost, don't bid!!

Haha don't know if you're the seller but that's fine by me.

I note that the seller's received a negative feedback in the past week:

Seller refused to sell card;tryed charging US$6.00 when he lives in Australia

Poll added :wave:

well ill be adding you to my can not bid list. thanks. Don't like the postage cost, don't bid!!

That's only relevant if you charge too much for postage. Otherwise I couldn't see you having any problems with the member bidding and winning your auctions.

I agree that you asked and it came back no. And you bid knowing it would come with the $1 postage on it so I say cop it on the chin and leave poor star rating as Cocky said.

i agree its steep, but u knew that b4 bidding. Adjust your bidding accordingly.

As I said, that's a reason in favour of leaving positive. Interestingly I'm sure the seller would argue 'you got a bargain' so not to complain about the shipping. But what they probably don't realise is the postage cost is why it went so cheaply... :cool:

As I said, that's a reason in favour of leaving positive. Interestingly I'm sure the seller would argue 'you got a bargain' so not to complain about the shipping. But what they probably don't realise is the postage cost is why it went so cheaply... :cool:

Absolutely!

I look at this way...if i get the item (inc post ) at a good price then im happy.
Ide much rather give a my cash to the seller than help those thieving ebay swines.

exchange rate is a killer in cases like this, ends up being $9-$10 for postage when its about $3 - $4 in reality.

Id prob put a positive. Postage stated, arrived safe and sound. Low star should cover it.

exchange rate is a killer in cases like this, ends up being $9-$10 for postage when its about $3 - $4 in reality.

Id prob put a positive. Postage stated, arrived safe and sound. Low star should cover it.

Not sure if I mentioned it clearly enough but the seller was also in Aus! :wave:

Not sure if I mentioned it clearly enough but the seller was also in Aus! :wave:

yeah,was meaning US $6 ends up being close to AU $10 if you pay for it in paypal :lol::lol:

i got the complete opposite today, paid $5us for an auction, cost the seller almost $9.00 just for the postage.

I would leave positive feedback, but low star rating for postage costs.

Excatly!!! Nothing else should be done! A Neg is way over the top for this sort of stuff, because the person bidding agreed to that postage cost when bidding!!!

But I agree with you on the fact its way to much to charge for postage within Aus!!!! But, I just wouldnt bid on it full stop, or ajust my bidding accordingly.

It sucks, but I imagine you knew full well how it would be sent (weren't expecting a one-touch) before you bid. As you state, it went cheap (auction price) because the postage was high. So, all in all, it was still a good price for you, right? A neutral is too harsh for a situation where there was no deceit and you got what you wanted.

It sucks, but I imagine you knew full well how it would be sent (weren't expecting a one-touch) before you bid. As you state, it went cheap (auction price) because the postage was high. So, all in all, it was still a good price for you, right? A neutral is too harsh for a situation where there was no deceit and you got what you wanted.

Yep, and I'm starting to agree with those recommending positive, though I will mention shipping in my comment also...

According to Ebay

Excessive Postage and Handling Policy

Sellers may charge reasonable postage and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay can not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge for their listings, eBay will rely on member reports and other resources to determine whether or not a seller’s postage, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive, unreasonable or unnecessary. Sellers must charge only actual postage and actual packaging costs (or less) in order to be in compliance with this policy. Postage and handling fees must not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price. More details are set out below.

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge any of the following additional costs:

Actual Postage cost: This must be limited to the actual cost (i.e. postage) for posting the item.

Packaging cost: This must be limited to the actual cost of packaging materials used for the item, such as bubble wrap, tape, box and mailing label and must not be excessive or unnecessary.

Handling cost: This must be limited to the reasonable costs for selecting and preparing the item for shipping and must not be excessive or unnecessary.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance must only charge the actual fee for insurance relating to the item (or less). No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers must only offer postal insurance provided by a licensed 3rd party insurance provider.

Note: Postage and Handling costs must not include storage costs, employee costs (except for the reasonable cost of selecting and preparing the item for shipping), business overhead expenses, or any other general business cost.

For cross border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyers may be responsible for actual, applicable tariffs, and duties as required by respective country laws.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

HideSome Examples

Examples of violating listings:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001, DVD)

BIN: AU $1

Postage: AU $22 Registered Mail via Australia Post Explanation: The actual cost to post this DVD would be less than $6 using Registered Mail as stated in the listing. This seller is charging all costs for this item in the postage price thus hiding the “true” cost for this item from buyers.

New Pink Motorola L6 L 6 Unlocked Slvr GSM World Phone

BIN: AU $98.95

Postage: AU $64.84 Courier Firm surface mail

Explanation: The seller has clearly stated that Courier Firm surface mail will be used to post this item, thus overall postage charges are inflated.

Sony 2 GB Memory Stick Pro Card

BIN: AU $37.35

Postage: AU $26.99 Standard Post

Explanation: The seller states that the item will be posted “Standard Post” and not overnight or private courier company. Given the small size/weight of this item, overall postage charges are inflated.

Examples of Listings in Compliance:

NEW SONY ERICSSON T237 GSM UNLOCKED COLOR PHONE * FEDEX

BIN: AU $36.95

Postage: AU $18.95 Standard Flat Rate Postage for Courier Company

Explanation: The seller is posting this item via Courier Company and states the actual flat rate cost in the listing.

Creative Labs Zen Micro Photo 8GB Pink MP3 Player

BIN: AU $195

Postage: AU $11.99 Courier Company Surface Mail

Explanation: The seller is posting the item via Courier Company Surface Mail and is charging actual postage prices plus a reasonable fee.

SOLID STATE Abstract Art Painting Taylor HUGE

Painting measures 36” x 24” / canvas supported by panel

Starting bid: AU $20

Postage: AU $40 Courier Company Surface Mail

Explanation: The postage charge is greater due to the size/bulk of the item being posted and custom crating.

reading through that
The section on appropriate handling charges:
Seller charged $6US around $10 Aust.
Postage = $1.10
Bubble Mailer = $0.80 (cheaper if they buy in bulk)

Which means the seller charged roughly $8 for handling etc. That seems pretty excessive to me.

I think probably a positive/neutral with comment and bad star rating are in order, but the seller needs to realise he is breaking ebays policies by doing it as well.

According to Ebay

reading through that
The section on appropriate handling charges:
Seller charged $6US around $10 Aust.
Postage = $1.10
Bubble Mailer = $0.80 (cheaper if they buy in bulk)

Which means the seller charged roughly $8 for handling etc. That seems pretty excessive to me.

I think probably a positive/neutral with comment and bad star rating are in order, but the seller needs to realise he is breaking ebays policies by doing it as well.

Interesting point, and an argument in favour of a neutral.

Back
Top Bottom