Philadelphia 76ers Off-Season Thread

nenjabin

World's #1 Pat Burke Collector
Real Name
Benjamin Smith
eBay User
nenjabin
Well a solid season is over and time to assess the needs of the team. Here's a Quoted portion of the below link on a Roster Report:

Roster Report

Most Valuable Player: Andre Miller by a wide margin. Although Andre Iguodala averaged a team-high 19.9 points, Miller averaged a career-high 17.0 points and shot a career-best 49.2 percent from the field. He had a knack for picking up the offensive slack at key times, especially when others were struggling, and continued to find open teammates for easy baskets.

Most Disappointing Player: After a pretty good regular season, Andre Iguodala learned in the playoffs that he has a lot of work to do if he wants to be an elite player. He averaged just 13.2 points, shot 33.3 percent from the field and led the NBA in turnovers with 4.3 in six games against the Pistons. Tayshaun Prince forced Iguodala to become a jump shooter, which is not his strong suit, especially when the shots are contested by a long 6-9 player like Prince.

Biggest Needs: The Sixers are craving a power forward that can score inside, rebound and add toughness. The team’s No. 2 need is a three-point shooter—they ranked last in the league beyond the arc in 2007-08—followed by a backup point guard.

Free Agent Focus: G Kevin Ollie, F Shavlik Randolph and F Louis Amundson are unrestricted free agents not likely to be back. C Calvin Booth could be unrestricted if he declines a $1.14 million player option, but probably won’t do that. F/G Andre Iguodala and G Lou Williams are restricted free agents who played essential roles in 2007-08. Iguodala already turned down a five-year, $57 million extension, which president/GM Ed Stefanski does not have to offer him. It’ll be interesting to see how much money Williams, who earned the third-year minimum of $800,000, is seeking. Rookie F/C Herbert Hill, who missed the season because of two knee surgeries, is restricted, thanks to a partial guarantee for next season.

Player Notes:

• F Thaddeus Young, coming off an encouraging final four months of his rookie season, has set some offseason goals for himself.

“I’d probably say expand my range a little more with the jump shots and work on my ball-handling a little bit,” Young said.

• G Lou Williams, who becomes a restricted free agent July 1, is confident that the Sixers making the playoffs and winning two of the first three games from the heavily-favored Pistons will serve as a motivating factor this summer.

“With that level of success and us tasting it, I think it definitely makes us hungrier and have everybody come back to training camp ready to go,” Williams said.

• F Shavlik Randolph, whose contract is up and who isn’t expected to be back with the Sixers, said it was tough to be healthy for the second half of the season—he missed the final five months in 2007-08 with a fractured and dislocated ankle and wasn’t 100 percent until February—yet only appearing in nine games for a total of 27 minutes.

“I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t frustrating and discouraging at times,” Randolph said.

76ers Team Report - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Totally agree with most of what is said there but I am more inclined to believe we should try and trade Miller, perhaps in a deal with the Bulls for Hinrich so they can free some cap room? Have heard that wouldn;t be a terrible situation. Include Gooden on the deal and we get a PF that is solid.

cool!!! They do need to make some changes!

As well as Iguodala needs to do some work this off season!!! He has the potential, he just needs to work hard at it!!

Miller for Hinrich would probably be a great trade!! And Gooden as PF would be sweet!!!

Nicely done Ben

I think they should get rid of iggy I don't rate him at all...

I'm with you. Been saying it all year, he'd be a good in a role like Pippen was to MJ (complimentary to a Star player). He's not a star player, he's an all round player but just cannot carry a team as was evident that he took a backseat to Miller.

I'm with you. Been saying it all year, he'd be a good in a role like Pippen was to MJ (complimentary to a Star player). He's not a star player, he's an all round player but just cannot carry a team as was evident that he took a backseat to Miller.

I'd rather see Gordon play along side Iggy than Hinrich. Draft a good PF (plenty in this class) hopefully big Sam will have a good season, and you have yourself a playoff contender...

I'd rather see Gordon play along side Iggy than Hinrich. Draft a good PF (plenty in this class) hopefully big Sam will have a good season, and you have yourself a playoff contender...

But what are they going to trade for Gordon? We have no other PG other than Miller as Lou Will is more a Ben Gordon type small SG. That and Gordon is a hack...

But what are they going to trade for Gordon? We have no other PG other than Miller as Lou Will is more a Ben Gordon type small SG. That and Gordon is a hack...

They desperately need a scorer. Gordon can provide that, there will be cheap pg's going around this post season (guessing Ridnour, duhon, jason will etc).
Hinrich would be awesome in the backcourt for them, and Gooden would definetly help on the boards, but neither will provide that missing firepower.

They desperately need a scorer. Gordon can provide that, there will be cheap pg's going around this post season (guessing Ridnour, duhon, jason will etc).
Hinrich would be awesome in the backcourt for them, and Gooden would definetly help on the boards, but neither will provide that missing firepower.

I'd rather not spend $70MIL+ on Gordon though which is likely what the guy is going to ask for...I reckon Lou Will can step up this year with more court time and be that added scorer. Did it quite often anyway coming off the bench for 12ppg and numerous 20 point efforts. Duhon would be a decent PG, but there is a reason why Ridnour and JWill are likely to be free agents ;)

I'd rather not spend $70MIL+ on Gordon though which is likely what the guy is going to ask for...I reckon Lou Will can step up this year with more court time and be that added scorer. Did it quite often anyway coming off the bench for 12ppg and numerous 20 point efforts. Duhon would be a decent PG, but there is a reason why Ridnour and JWill are likely to be free agents ;)

TJ another one... but I don't think that 12ppg is considered "firepower" somehow. He will have to more than improve his game....

TJ another one... but I don't think that 12ppg is considered "firepower" somehow. He will have to more than improve his game....

Forgot I hadn;t said that in this threadm said it in your Top 5 improvers thread, he'll be a big improver this year IMO. We need firepower, Lou Will can provide it and I think he'll get the opportunity this year. 12ppg was only cause some games he'd get 10mins off the bench due to not being needed or Miller being hot, but in the games he got time he was very good and is still very young.

Gordon has firepower but can;t do squat else. If the Bulls want to give him $70MIL to play, they can do it. I wouldn;t want a mediocre scorer whom does nothing else on my roster for more than $40MIL. Gotta be better options than Gordon, particularly when you'd be leaving your team with no PG to get him!

Forgot I hadn;t said that in this threadm said it in your Top 5 improvers thread, he'll be a big improver this year IMO. We need firepower, Lou Will can provide it and I think he'll get the opportunity this year. 12ppg was only cause some games he'd get 10mins off the bench due to not being needed or Miller being hot, but in the games he got time he was very good and is still very young.

Gordon has firepower but can;t do squat else. If the Bulls want to give him $70MIL to play, they can do it. I wouldn;t want a mediocre scorer whom does nothing else on my roster for more than $40MIL. Gotta be better options than Gordon, particularly when you'd be leaving your team with no PG to get him!

I just hope you guys draft smart, get a scorer, even a brandon rush type of player would suit if you traded for duhon or hinrich...

Louis Williams re-signed :D

76ers re-sign free agent guard Louis Williams
Aug 4, 4:30 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintPHILADELPHIA (AP)—The 76ers re-signed guard Louis Williams on Monday, keeping a key member of Philadelphia’s first playoff team in three years.

The deal was reportedly worth more than $25 million over five years.

Williams, who was a restricted free agent, averaged 11.5 points in 23 minutes per game last season.

The 21-year-old Williams was selected out of high school with the No. 45 overall pick in the second round of the 2005 NBA draft. He’s averaged 7.2 points, 2.2 assists and 1.5 rebounds in his first three seasons.

Philadelphia signed two-time All-Star forward Elton Brand earlier this summer, and added free-agent guards Royal Ivey and Kareem Rush last week. Forward Andre Iguodala remains a restricted free agent.

Interesting read on Iggy. Will put up my opinions soon.

Trading Andre Iguodala
By Kelly Dwyer

Understand that I'm usually (if not, nearly always) pretty loathe to take on these sorts of posts, partially because I don't like reading them myself, partially because a lot of the time an NBA trade rarely works out solidly for both ends, and mostly because I'm more interested in the on-court action than off. Alas, I'm forging ahead, here.

If the reports are correct, and they likely aren't, Andre Iguodala and the Philadelphia 76ers are at a stalemate. The guard/forward (eh, "forward") is about to enter his fifth season, he's a restricted free agent, and reports indicate he's looking for a contract in the six-year, 75 million dollar range.

Now, this could be a plant from the Sixers, or someone's educated guess (75 million would seem in line with someone who wouldn't be signed as of the first week of August), or it could be spot on. The specifics hardly matter to me, because I barely think he's worth eight figures a year. AI's a fine player, but even with the addition of Elton Brand and the continued improvement of Louis Williams, he might not be what the 76ers need. His game is a little more "Corey Maggette" than it is "Paul Pierce." A lot more. The guy has issues creating shots.

So why not cut out now? Why not mix things up with a sign-and-trade? Why not follow the voice of every message board denizen? Actually, for this one, that might work.

Trading AI straight-up in a sign-and-trade for one of his Class of 2004 brethren (like, say, Ben Gordon) is too complicated due to Base-Year Compensation rules, and any sign-and-trade deal that Iggy gets dealt within would have to invoke that clause.

Because of the raise in his deal, the contracts that come back to the 76ers would have to match up with half of Iguodala's first year salary, plus whatever salary they'd add on with other players. So if Iguodala is signed to a deal that has him making 12 million quid in the first season, it would only be worth six million in a trade. Good news if the 76ers want to deal for Matt Harpring, bad news if they want to try and replicate Iguodala's still-solid (and still-rising, for years after this) production.

Initially, I went to look for deals involving Class of 2003 guys, because those with significant gifts would already be working on their post-rookie contracts, which would be worth the full amount in a trade due to their BYC status expiring after 2007-08. Kirk Hinrich? On the block, but the Bulls don't need another wing player. Jameer Nelson? Same, and same. T.J. Ford? Already dealt. LeBron James? Too good. Reece Gaines? Too pretty for Philly. Leandro Barbosa? The Suns probably won't play ball.

Josh Howard? Hmm.

This isn't a reaction to Howard's latest indiscretion. Not sure if you've heard, but Mark Cuban is a pretty sound businessman, and he's knows that a fan base disappointed in a few off-court misdeeds rarely translates into actual losses at the gate, though losing basketball will always translate into ticket-buying indifference. And Howard sells tickets, because he helps win games. Or, he used to. Until last year, at least.

Howard is 28. He's in his prime. This is it. 2008-09 has to be his best year, and if it isn't, then ... yikes. Is the atmosphere right for him to pull off that career year? Sure, Avery Johnson is gone, and those two had their moments, but is he long for this team and an owner that really digs Brandon Bass?

Meanwhile, the 76ers just signed Elton Brand. Andre Miller is running the point. Their window to win is right flippin' now, in spite of all the young talent. Iguodala, for all his gifts, was an absolute millstone during last spring's playoffs; and even if we excuse the play because of two words ("Tayshaun" and "Prince"), the team still needs someone who can create in a pinch when things break down in the post. And not by firing a Maggette-esque three-pointer.

So why not give Iggy his 12-million per year, ship him to Dallas with Willie Green, and take Howard on? The Mavs get a Richard Jefferson-esque oop partner for Jason Kidd, someone to run enough with to dupe media types into thinking that Dallas is a fast-break team (like Kidd and Jefferson did in New Jersey), backcourt depth in Green, and they cut ties with Howard for a player almost four years younger.

Philly gets a smoother shooter who can create, defend, and knows how to contribute when the looks aren't there, or the looks aren't falling. Better yet, at two more years for 20 million and then a team option for 11 more, the 76ers stay in contract control. Also, Willie Green stinks.

I think it works, I think both sides do well, and I think fans of both teams would be happy with the deal one, three, and five years from now - even with, five years from now, Iguodala in his prime and Howard long gone from Philadelphia. Something about a Thaddeus Young.

What do you think?

Looks like it would have been hard for anyone to steal him away from Philly, considering he signed at an amount close to the MLE. Philly would have matched anyone offering Louis the full MLE.

Agreed. And I think that kid is too much of the future for the team to let him go.

However I like the read above about Iggy. I'm not a big wrap for Iggy at all and the above sounds pretty darn good/solid to me.

All I can say is "Cry Baby much"? :cry:

Andre Iguodala doesn't want to be called 'Iggy' anymore
By J.E. Skeets

Via Sixersoul, Phil Jasner at the Philadelphia Daily News reports that new $80 million dollar man Andre Iguodola would like you to stop calling him 'Iggy,' thanks. "In 4 years, he has been called 'A.I.2,' 'Iggy' and 'The Other A.I.' "I don't like 'Iggy,' I don't mind 'The Other A.I.,'" he said. "It just shows the fans are watching basketball and know what I do. I want to be 'Dre, that's it. 'The A.I. thing, it's about Allen, always being in his shadow. He's a different player, brings a different element. It's like Kobe and Michael Jordan. Everybody says, 'Who's the next M.J?' You never want to be compared to another player [that way]. I just want to be me.'" Manuel "don't call me Manny" Lee feels 'Dre's pain.

Looks like the fans agree with me.

Andre Iguodala doesn't want to be called 'Iggy' anymore - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

sixers are conference semis bound if they can all play well together.....

not sure if they got the firepower to knock off the pistons or celtics though

Back
Top Bottom