Old Timers Mailday

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
This mailday is a long overdue for @boosta who was kind enough to send me a couple old timer parallel and GU cards so here's a write up for you mate!

The Inserts / Parallels

Isiah Thomas Energizers - Love the look of these inserts, the blinginess of Certified goes well with the lightning effect. I always see these cards as players having wings of lightning, reminds me of a poor man's version of Scoring Kings.

SCN_0293.jpg

Mark Aguirre Purple Prizm Die Cut - I've seriously lost track of how many parallels there are with the latest products. Anyhoo, bit of a throw back pic of Aguirre's days on the Mavs where he was a BIG TIME scorer in the mid to high 20s who also had a good sense for finding the open man. Most famous for being traded to the Bad Boy Pistons where he won back to back titles and most notably repeatedly threatening to get Scottie Pippen in the parking lot during the playoffs!

SCN_0295.jpg

The Obligatory GU

Artis Gilmore Throwback Threads - Started his career in the ABA as a member of the Kentucky Colonels and for those first five years was averaging about 20 / 20 / 3 / 3. Won the 1972 ROY and MVP awards in the ABA and an ABA Championship in 1975. Upon joining the NBA he played years with the Bulls and 5 with the Spurs and racking up 6 NBA All-Star Selections but never captured the same accolades or success he had in the ABA. A controversially late selection to the HOF in 2011 which was viewed by many as a sleight against players who racked up big numbers and accolades in the ABA instead of the NBA. I actually met this guy in real life and to be honest....he's a bit of a %&^*(.

SCN_0286.jpg

Moses Malone Throwback Threads - The original Chairman of the Boards. Three time MVP. Captured his only NBA title and Finals MVP in 1983 as part of the 76ers with Dr J sweeping a Lakers outfit featuring Magic and Kareem just before the Showtime era took full effect. For such a dominant player he was passed around spending 6 years with the Rockets, 5 with the 76ers, 2 with the BUllets, 3 with the Hawks, 2 with the Bucks and his last with the Spurs. Sadly passed away in 2015.

SCN_0296.jpg

The Scribble

Norm Nixon Certified auto - An all-star and 2 time NBA champ with the Lakers who was shipped cross town to the Clippers (essentially for Byron Scott) where he also captured another all-star appearance. Knee and achillies injuries ruined his career after 8 seasons.

SCN_0282.jpg

Buck Williams Innovation auto - One of those blue collar role players who put his hard hat on and took care of the rebounding and defence. Had great early success with the Nets winning the 1982 ROY, 3 all-star selections and a selection to the 1983 All NBA 2nd team. Traded to the Blazers he had new found success with multiple All NBA All Defensive team selections (including back to back All Defensive 1st team selections) helping to drive the Trailblazers as a western conference power making it to the NBA Finals twice before losing to the Bad Boy Pistons in 1990 and those famous Chicago Bulls in 1992...

SCN_0207.jpg

Sidney Moncrief Threads auto - Sid the Squid was a defensive stud who chalked up the first two DPOY awards ever awarded. Had a golden run of form from 1982 to 1986 where he racked up 5 x all-star appearances, 5 x all-defensive team 1st team selections and 5 x all NBA team selections - including an all NBA 1st team selection in 1983.

SCN_0283.jpg

Bob Dandridge Certified auto (on card) - The Greyhound captured 4 all-star berths as a high scoring SF for the Bucks and Bullets where he captured a title with each team in 1971 and 1979. Had a career year in 1979 capturing his second title and his only all defensive team selection and all NBA team selection.

SCN_0287.jpg

David Thompson Preferred auto (on card) - The original Skywalker only played 8 years in the NBA but captured two all NBA 1st team selections and 5 all star selections. A high scoring, high flying shooting guard he was plagued by substance abuse problems throughout his short lived career.

SCN_0342.jpg

Rik Smits absolute auto (on card) - The Dunking Dutchman stood at 7'4' and was a lifetime Pacer playing alongside Reggie Miller. Drafted 2nd overall behind Danny Manning in the 1988 draft he was known as a very capable low post scoring threat but fairly soft on the defensive end only ever averaging more than 7 rpg once in his 11 year career starting close to 800 games.

SCN_0310.jpg

Isiah Thomas Spectra GU auto (on card) - Leader of the Bad Boys who captured those back to back titles in 89 and 90. Controversially omitted from the 92 Dream Team after being 'black balled' by Jordan and Pippen. Thomas chalks it up to 'politics' and there are many that agree with him... Either way, he was an awesome baller regardless!

SCN_0317.jpg

Hakeem Olajuwon GS GU auto (on cardboard!) - Hakeem the Dream did it all during his career! Hakeem formed the original twin towers with Ralph Sampson and went to the NBA Finals in 1986 before capturing 2 back to back titles in 94 and 95 (with 2 Finals MVPs), A lazy dozen all star selections, a dozen all NBA selections, 9 x all defensive team selections, 2 DPOYs and an MVP for good measure. An automatic selection to the HOF in 2012. As a coach I loved watching his footwork in the post, drop steps, hooks, turn arounds, fadeaways and all were at the mercy of his Dreamshake. Hakeem had moves, counter moves and counter counter moves! He just made even the best defenders look silly.

SCN_0279.jpg

Well that's it for now - keep checking back often though because the maildays will be coming thick and fast!

Thanks for ending me your eyeballs and having a look and a read. These NBA veterans really do deserve some more hobby love and attention! As always comments and likes are most appreciated.

WHAT!!!!! 2 maildays in in 2 days.... where is admin when you need them, this guy is clearly a spammer!!!

Couple of gems in there, those Crown Royale Majestics are one of my favourite cards panini did.... wish they still had Crown Royale as a stand alone product

Nice commentary and cards and great to see some life on the board, intrigued as to how you met Artis Gilmore being a Spurs tragic and all. I have a signed Gilmore jersey with HOF 2011 Inscription and have since read plenty of bad press about him.

WHAT!!!!! 2 maildays in in 2 days.... where is admin when you need them, this guy is clearly a spammer!!!
Couple of gems in there, those Crown Royale Majestics are one of my favourite cards panini did.... wish they still had Crown Royale as a stand alone product

Couldn't have you stealing all the limelight just because you posted a couple of old cards from the 80s.... ;) Crown Royale is a nice simple die cut design.....as compared to the Buck William Innovation die cut insanity!

Nice commentary and cards and great to see some life on the board, intrigued as to how you met Artis Gilmore being a Spurs tragic and all. I have a signed Gilmore jersey with HOF 2011 Inscription and have since read plenty of bad press about him.

I met him at the National Sports Collectors Conference in Chicago and had him sign some stuff... Pretty sure I have a pic with him somewhere. Not only did he not engage in small talk, he even refused to acknowledge my presence and when I asked for a photo you would have thought I was trying to rob him of one of his kidneys! I get these guys do a lot of signings but people are paying for the privilege in that instance, it's not like I'm stopping him in his own time somewhere out in public...

I'll actually be down in Mt Gambier this weekend, I see the SEABL final is on, I guess you'll be there? If I can grab some tickets I might see you there!

Couldn't have you stealing all the limelight just because you posted a couple of old cards from the 80s.... ;) Crown Royale is a nice simple die cut design.....as compared to the Buck William Innovation die cut insanity!

I met him at the National Sports Collectors Conference in Chicago and had him sign some stuff... Pretty sure I have a pic with him somewhere. Not only did he not engage in small talk, he even refused to acknowledge my presence and when I asked for a photo you would have thought I was trying to rob him of one of his kidneys! I get these guys do a lot of signings but people are paying for the privilege in that instance, it's not like I'm stopping him in his own time somewhere out in public...

I'll actually be down in Mt Gambier this weekend, I see the SEABL final is on, I guess you'll be there? If I can grab some tickets I might see you there!

Yeah the guy is a real douche from various sources, he should never have been inducted to the HOF for his ABA achievements, he carried the Spurs for 2 seasons when Gervin left and then that was about it. Hopefully you catch a ticket in tomorrow night's sale and I might catch you at the game or sometime over the weekend.

Epic writes ups and plenty of good old school knowledge. A couple of great Thomas cards. The malone has a real old school look about it which is awesome.

Yeah the guy is a real douche from various sources, he should never have been inducted to the HOF for his ABA achievements, he carried the Spurs for 2 seasons when Gervin left and then that was about it. Hopefully you catch a ticket in tomorrow night's sale and I might catch you at the game or sometime over the weekend.

Douche would be an understatement mate! His per item signing fee is actually way above some real decent all-star calibre players too.........

Some big names of the game there, great stuff.

Even big names have some small low end cads - heh heh

All good mate, always enjoy the player commentaries from you.

Cheers mate, I know I kept you waiting, I do appreciate the freebies though!

Epic writes ups and plenty of good old school knowledge. A couple of great Thomas cards. The malone has a real old school look about it which is awesome.

That Mo Malone is a real time warp - just screams the 70s which is what makes it cool I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom