Cedric Jackson (New Zealand Breakers)
Scottie Wilbekin (Cairns Taipans)
Josh Childress (Sydney Kings)
Brock Motum (Adelaide 36ers)
Brian Conklin (Townsville Crocodiles)

ALL-NBL SECOND TEAM

Jamar Wilson (Adelaide 36ers)
Jordan McRae (Melbourne united)
Todd Blanchfield (Townsville Crocodiles)
Ekene Ibekwe (New Zealand Breakers)
Matt Knight (Perth Wildcats)

And then there were six - Crocs enter voluntary administration

A second NBL club has gone into voluntary administration in the space of a week after Townsville Crocodiles called in the administrators on Monday night.

The Crocs managed to save themselves at the end of last NBL season when their long-time owners handed back their licence as a group of local supporters sourced enough funding to last through this season under a community-run model.

The NBL released a statement on Tuesday night to confirm the situation and added voluntary administration would give the club "flexibility to explore their options".

Which lead to...

Andrew Gaze calls for NBL to be shut down for a season

Gaze used his own radio show on SEN to advocate for a gap year to be taken in order to right the ship of the 36-year-old competition.

"Shut it down, get the right model, because the model is broken," he said.

"Don't put band aids over it. The model is broken, there's got to be new ideas and a new thought process on how the competition could be run because this is death by a thousand cuts."

Such a move would follow the path of Australian soccer, which went into hiatus between April 2004 and August 2005 in between the final National Soccer League season, and the first installment of the now-thriving A-League.

Andrew Gaze is off his head if he thinks the answer is for the NBL to take a season off. They will struggle even more than they do now to get the fans and sponsors back if they do that.

The best thing people can do is support their team and go to games!!!

If anyone is on twitter, tweet your favourite NBL moments form last season and use the hashtag #WeAreTheNBL

Well apparently the Perth Wildcats are now looking to relocate and any hopes of reviving the Brisbane Bullets are dead and buried (as being reported by Adelaide now).

I agree with Gaze in saying that they need to get this business model right. It's obviously broken and for long term stability of the league it has to be addressed. If shutting it down is the answer to implement the right processes without it being rushed thrn do so. They turned down (what I believe is) a great proposal to get there within 36 months last offseason so not sure what they plan to do moving forward now.

Well apparently the Perth Wildcats are now looking to relocate and any hopes of reviving the Brisbane Bullets are dead and buried (as being reported by Adelaide now).
The Wildcats are looking at options to play in Asian leagues, but that will be in the off season.

The Bullets bid is still alive, but obviously looks like not happening for next season. The league now owns the Bullets IP and the only problem was an Arena to play in.

I agree with Gaze in saying that they need to get this business model right. It's obviously broken and for long term stability of the league it has to be addressed. If shutting it down is the answer to implement the right processes without it being rushed thrn do so. They turned down (what I believe is) a great proposal to get there within 36 months last offseason so not sure what they plan to do moving forward now.
Shutting down for a year would mean the loss of ALOT of fans and sponsors. I don't see any way that doing that would be a good thing.

The A league managed to do it successfully, I don't see why the NBL can't. From a business perspective I believe it's a necessary evil.

And all reports I'm reading are saying the Bullets are dead for the foreseeable future.

THE bid to resurrect the Brisbane Bullets is dead in the water – and basketball legend Brian Kerle wants to know why.

But good luck getting answers from interim NBL CEO Bret Mactavish, who on Tuesday stonewalled any attempt to extract explanation about why the country’s third largest city will remain without a professional basketball franschise for an eighth straight year.

Mactavish told The Courier-Mail yesterday he “completely understands’’ that the Brisbane basketball community wanted answers on the city’s basketball future.

Regardless, he refused to provide any.

“I don’t have any comment regarding the Brisbane Bullets at this time … I can’t confirm anything,’’ Mactavish said.

“I don’t have any information to provide you with definitive answers on your questions.

“If you are going to keep asking questions, we’re just going to have to end this call … this conversation needs to cease.’’

Last year, former NBL CEO Fraser Neill publicly guaranteed the Bullets would be back for the 2015/2016 season after dropping out of the competition in 2008.

Neill left the NBL late last year, and seemingly took hopes of a Bulets rebirth with him.

The Courier-Mail understands the cashed-up consortium led by businessman Paul Bendat and basketball great Larry Sengstock has withdrawn the bid after failing to come to an agreement with the NBL.

Ownership licence fees, intellectual property rights and a playing venue were at the heart of the loss of goodwill.

Both the consortium and the NBL would not confirm or deny the demise of the bid yesterday but the basketball community is resigned to the latest resuscitation attempt being shot down.

The consortium registered the business name “Brisbane Bullets Basketball’’ in January when an announcement about the club’s re-entry was imminent.

But it grew increasingly frustrated with the range of conditions placed on them by NBL head office.

Bendat is the son of Perth Wildcats owner Jack Bendat who is worth over $650 million while Sengstock is a four-time Olympian, five-time NBL title winner and former Basketball Australia boss.

They had the money and motivation and for them to walk away speaks volumes about their dissatisfaction with the NBL.

Kerle said he will “never give up’’ on bringing back the Bullets and is the process of organising a forum to rally support for another bid.

The Courier-Mail understands the cashed-up consortium led by businessman Paul Bendat and basketball great Larry Sengstock has withdrawn the bid after failing to come to an agreement with the NBL.

Ownership licence fees, intellectual property rights and a playing venue were at the heart of the loss of goodwill.

Both the consortium and the NBL would not confirm or deny the demise of the bid yesterday but the basketball community is resigned to the latest resuscitation attempt being shot down.

The consortium registered the business name “Brisbane Bullets Basketball’’ in January when an announcement about the club’s re-entry was imminent.

The former Bullets coach, who guided the club to two titles in the halcyon days of the 1980s, is frustrated and says a genuine opportunity has gone begging.

“Now that it (the bid) has fallen over, the people of Brisbane deserve answers. They deserve better treatment from the NBL,’’ Kerle said.

“Do they want the Bullets in? Are they embarrassed because the previous CEO made statements that the Bullets would definitely be back in?

“I’ve been trying to call them to see what the next step is, but they won’t return my calls.

“The saddest and most tragic thing is that this was the closest that anybody has ever got to reviving the club.

“It was the best opportunity because you don’t get too many people prepared to invest that kind of money into a basketball team but the powers-that-be haven’t grabbed that opportunity.”

The A league managed to do it successfully, I don't see why the NBL can't.
Money mate, its a simple as that. People always seem to forget the NBL has no money and there isn't sponsors signing up to be on board like the A League had.

And all reports I'm reading are saying the Bullets are dead for the foreseeable future.
Foreseeable future maybe, as in not next season, but the guy who wants to own it is still keen, from what I have been told.

Oh and in my opinion, guys like Gaze, Kerle and Cole are league legends, but they are all out of touch with the current league and how it is operated. I take everything they say with a massive pinch of salt.

Someone was tweeting saying for everyone to get involve and ask why there is no federal funding for the NBL but I seen someone reply with a link stating around $5.8m went to Basketball Australia last year.

Anyone know what the go is there and if so, where the money goes. Should we be bombarding these people in Parliament? Minister for Sport etc

I'd say the funding would actually be going into grassroots sport. Programs like Aussie Hoops, Hoop Time, etc as well as toward the programs at the AIS, which I have experienced first hand.

honestly, I think that some of these legends are probably better at coming up with a solution than some of BA's board members. They mostly seem to have little to know idea about how they, or the state bodies run.

He actually played 27mpg and was only the Hawks leading scorer by 0.4ppg !

It also wasn't the Hawks calling him a disappointment, it was the journalist.

more on Carson lol

translated (badly) from http://www.kkmetalac.org.rs/

After a real small plane odyssey that included a flight from Phoenix to New York, then the road to Istanbul, to end the landing in Belgrade, where a few days ago was preceded trip from Australia to the US, a new player Metalca, American Džahi Carson (Carson Jahia) arrived in Serbia.
22 - year-old playmaker, who left the university in 2014 Arizona State last week finished the season in the Australian league, where he played for the last placed Wollongong Hawks (Wollongong Hawks), hungry for new challenges came in Valjevo.
- After participating in the NBA draft in 2014, in which the prediction was that I would be a club probably taken in the first, and almost certainly in the second round draft pick, my family and I were shocked when it did not happen. Since I left for college this move two years ago, it seemed to me that for my career was best to go to Australia, where I played an average of 25 minutes per game with solid statistics, but the problem was that I was in a mediocre league played for worst team. My ambition is to play in the NBA, and to do that I have yet to improving their game and I think I chose the right environment for it. I have heard that there are very high quality competition and that there are many who follow the progress of players and recruit them for the NBA .
Behind Carson is a great college career, during which he became very popular, so his facebook page by around 60 thousand people.
- I was second team all-American high school basketball, I shared recognition for the best rookie league in 2013 and two years ago I was in an ideal team of the Pacific, the second leading scorer in two seasons in the history of Arizona. I broke many records in college and enjoy their achievements so far in karijeri.Sada'm here and I want you and I together Rad progress .
One of Karsonovih quality is also a reflection by which they will be remembered in history as the sixth draft. We asked him for other qualities, but flaws
- Everyone has things that could improve. People recognize my weaknesses, and to me is to eliminate them. As for the quality of this game are in transition and counterattacking game two on two. It is important to have good teammates who will be able to rely on me, and I in them. Assists will enable them to achieve as many points. Personally, I am strong inroads in the basket, while shooting a three point I had a 40% success rate in college in Australia. I still have a lot of room for improvement and repair both good and bad qualities, and I look forward to the games in Metalac

The nbl is looking like it could be at deaths door which as a long time fan is a shame

Townsville the latest to go into voluntary administration

Doubt the Hawks will return, they have debts of over $1 million with monies owed to the tax office plus unpaid superannuation to players.

Back
Top Bottom