Official NBL 2014/15 Season Thread

Bit of a smashing for Adelaide last night :confused: They have now lost their last 2 playoff games by a combined 63 points! I was hoping this would be a good series.

Unfortunately expecting the same for the Wildcats tonight vs Cairns. They limped into the playoffs and have now lost Redhage for the rest of the season, so it's not looking good for the Cats.

Todd Blanchfield was apparently also named Most Improved. Terrible way to make the announcements, but I'm guessing the NBL rushed this out last night because the Crocs had their awards dinner.

The NBL awards night probably needs to be before the playoffs. Conklin flies back to the US today, so even if there still is an NBL awards night this season, the MVP wont be there.

Let's hope these things are fixed for next season.

Todd Blanchfield was apparently also named Most Improved. Terrible way to make the announcements, but I'm guessing the NBL rushed this out last night because the Crocs had their awards dinner.

The NBL awards night probably needs to be before the playoffs. Conklin flies back to the US today, so even if there still is an NBL awards night this season, the MVP wont be there.

Let's hope these things are fixed for next season.

I think you're letting the NBL off lightly Dave!!

Disgraceful showing and even if it was the "Interim CEO's idea", going by how they handled this and how no-one saw it as a bad idea, the NBL is doomed.

Yep true Matt. As many people know, I love the NBL and I have defended the NBL hundreds of times and tried my best to get people to go to games.

BUT, when the NBL does things like this, even I am starting to think why bother!

Pathetic, amateur stuff.

Yep true Matt. As many people know, I love the NBL and I have defended the NBL hundreds of times and tried my best to get people to go to games.

BUT, when the NBL does things like this, even I am starting to think why bother!

Pathetic, amateur stuff.

I think I started following and watching NBA in '92 and NBL in '96 or '97, going to a live game converted me to an NBL fan, THE hardest task I think the NBL has in front of it - converting an NBA fan to an NBL fan. And they did it. It took 5 years, but eventually I gave it a shot and liked the product. (well maybe an NRL to NBL fan might be tougher but it's up there).

Somewhere along the line of instability at the top (CEO etc) and a seemingly ever-dwindling fan base leading to a less-than-CPI change in the salary cap which affected the end product, they lost me. I had a change in job (working shift) and started a family and I hope to return to going to more live games yes, but I can't justify buying the NBL.TV given the quality vs cost and I think sometimes you have to vote with your feet EVEN when it's your home team - I wasn't happy with the spending on the team and the coach getting a free pass for life and the continual change in Hawks management, so I stopped going to games. The Hawks are a team in turmoil - brought back from the dead, never wanting to spend what it takes to get title-contending imports, an Entertainment Centre venue that is part of the problem of the funds drain - I could go on and on but I think I'm ranting now and I hope most of this makes sense :lol:

To sum it up - I love the NBL too and want it to succeed and try to tell people give it a chance. It's hard though when it seems it is being sabotaged from within.

It must be hard for a Hawks fan. They finally get an owner with deep pockets and he sets about making his own signings (Carson, Nevill) and forces the team to release a "favourite son" in Gruber. To make matters worse, they get Martin back, but keep both import guards, who are basically carbon copies of each other. Add it all up and it was never going to work, so no wonder their crowds were low.

Unfortunately I agree with you Bill. No Redhage was already tough enough. Now no Hire as well.

What an unfortunate season :(

Wollongong Hawks have gone into volunteer administration. I sincerely hope they can get some sponsors on board and come out of this ok.

Wollongong Hawks have gone into volunteer administration. I sincerely hope they can get some sponsors on board and come out of this ok.

Unbelievable. Wollongong Coal pulling out 2 years into a 5 year deal..... $600k/year is going to be a huge gap to cover if that's really what they need.

@JahiiCarson: Lol my old team in Australia tried to say I was a disappointment. I lead the team in scoring with 25 minutes a game.

@JahiiCarson: No freedom to play my game. No freedom to eat and still lease the team in scoring and I was the second highest paid on the team as a rookie

@JahiiCarson: Come on now they need to cut it out. I didn't say nothing the whole season about them and they tried to down play me

Not a good idea from Carson. He wont be getting another job in the NBL any time soon.

He actually played 27mpg and was only the Hawks leading scorer by 0.4ppg !

It also wasn't the Hawks calling him a disappointment, it was the journalist.

Back
Top Bottom