Official NBL 2013/14 Season Thread

To all those complaining about the reffing, please take a moment to source the memo online from the league asking the game to be called this way. All three of the officials referee internationally, with 1 getting the gold medal game at the last Olympics and still remains in career best form. Basketball Australia, along with the NBL complying, has said that the closer to the hoop you are the more contact is going to be called - with an emphasis on putting them at the line. I'm disappointed that people can go out there and say how much they are favoring one side, or carrying bias as I know these guys personally through my own officiating career. Yes I watched the game also and the inconsistencies to the general public are stemming from the memo from the league on how they want the points of emphasis applied.
That is why I said I am now thinking I just don't like the NBL, because of the way they want the game called.

But there IS such thing as refs favouring one team. It doesn't mean they are doing it on purpose. Refs gets a number of calls wrong in every game of basketball. If more of those wrong calls go to one team, it is favouring them.
Its not a personal dig at your mates!

That is why I said I am now thinking I just don't like the NBL, because of the way they want the game called.

But there IS such thing as refs favouring one team. It doesn't mean they are doing it on purpose. Refs gets a number of calls wrong in every game of basketball. If more of those wrong calls go to one team, it is favouring them.
Its not a personal dig at your mates!

In grass roots and lower levels, yes I would not be surprised that it would happen... However I (with inside experience) do not believe this happens at all in the upper echelons of the sport in Australia. Australian referee's are known as some of the best in the world under the FIBA banner, and even suggesting that it happens is ridiculous. Whilst yes, calls are missed - I think you'd be surprised at what is actually deemed to be an incorrect call by FIBA interpretation. Example being bumping of cutters. Coaches preach this year in and year out, however it is an illegal move and is called accordingly, with much frustration from fans, players and team personnel. The national level referees, are critiqued on every game (sometimes by multiple people), both on the court, monthly fitness tests and rule exams. Last I checked, the rule exam needed a 95% pass rate, the fitness test is meerly a modified version of the beep test that can be found on the FIBA website for use, and on their calls being made within the game, within the officiating crew and within the Point of Emphasis being handed down from the leagues office. I can't give a number for the pass rate required on NBL finals, as I've never been involved in that from a mentoring / learning perspective, however I do know its a lot higher than the already stringent standards accepted during the season.

I believe favoring someone, is another word for cheating, so I'm a little quick to defend in that scenario only because I hate being accused of it myself by upset parent's in rep. The officials, particuarly at this level, honestly do not care who wins or loses a game, they just want the game to end without 'awakening' it and for the right team on the day to win. Wrong calls are always in the game and are apart of it (whether due to an unfortunate screen that blocks their view, or not being able to get to position fast enough in transition), which ever way they go. Some games they are for you, others against. It does not mean that the officials are helping the other side win by doing so, as this thread as established they have 'swung' both ways already this series...

In no way have I taken anything said as a personal attack against the referees on the series, I'm just purely wanting to open the education levels to the die hard fans of the sport, on what goes from the other side that we don't normally get to see. After all, a player can have 3 turn overs in a quarter and shoot bugger all from the field and still be amongst the games best. If a referee makes 3 questional calls in a game they're likely to be dropped at that level.

I think its a good discussion topic, no more no less. I love to talk hoops and this is a side that doesn't usually come up for discussion :)

I'll be honest I've only jumped on the wagon through the gf series but man I cannot watch this junk.

It's like Footy just whistle after whistle after whistle. It's so hard to watch this after watching say 20 nba games.

Fair enough I'm an Adelaide boy but I'm pretty fair when it comes to nbl.

Turned off.

Wow I'm done with this game and calls for flopping. Worst game I've ever seen. Redhage is awful.

TV off....

Problem is that the NBL allows it. They have to 'sell' fouls to get them called. Gibson flopped a couple of times as well. Redhage and Hire were Definately worse, but you can't pick and choose who is allowed to do it.

After this series, I think I rate Adam Gibson up there with Ben Madgen as the biggest dicks in the league!

Yeah baby! Stoked to watch the Wildcats win another Championship.

Congrats to Adelaide on a great season.

I just want to also say I am pretty disappointed with the Cats fans who boo'ed Ervin and Wright after the game. There is no need for that and it is a poor effort that reflects badly on the rest of us.

884492_714347431950482_8750340409214027799_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom