Official Matthew Dellavedova Thread

A pickup game with Mike Brown’s Son helped Delly’s NBA chance
Posted on October 3, 2013 by Tom Read
delly11.jpg

One of #believethehype’s favourite sons, Aussie rookie Matthew Dellavedova is currently in Cleveland with a shot at grabbing one of the final two Cavaliers roster spots. All word coming out of Cleveland is that they have been impressed with him. Not only over the past few weeks, but all Summer from when he first joined the team for Summer League.
In August, the Cavs signed Delly to a 2 Year $1.3m partially guaranteed contract & invited him to come to Cleveland a few weeks before Training Camp begins to help get him properly equipped with the Cavs system.
Today, Jodie Valade of Cleveland.com reported that Matthew Dellavedova partially owes his shot at an NBA roster this season to a chance pick-up game with Mike Brown’s son, Elijah.
The Australian is affable and friendly, and probably can owe his spot on the Cavaliers’ training camp roster and his two-year, $1.3 million, partially guaranteed contract with Cleveland to his kind and welcoming nature.
After all, Dellavedova acted in much the same way when Elijah Brown, son of coach Mike Brown, took a recruiting visit to St. Mary’s last year.
Dellavedova played pick-up ball with Elijah and impressed the onlooking Brown to the point that the coach had a ready reason to invite the third point guard to Cleveland’s training camp – even after Elijah Brown opted to attend Butler.
“That’s why we gave him (a training camp spot),” Brown deadpanned. “If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been here. Delly knows. He’s smart.”
delly2.jpg
I’m seconding what Valade wrote, Delly is a really nice guy. If this article teaches you anything it’s that opportunities present themselves to nice people.
The former St Marys point guard averaged 2.8ppg, 3apg & 1.2spg in 20mins over his 5 Summer League games for the Cavs. Although the numbers don’t neccesarily stand out, his gameplay certainly did. Delly was clearly the floor general for the Cavs whenever he was out on the court. Dictating the offense & taking a leadership role, something that you rarely see during this League. Delly also went a long way to dispell the myths that he isn’t a good positional defender. He was easily able to hold his own out there even against much more athletic 1 & 2 guards.
Mike Brown went on to tell Valade that Delly’s currently in pole position to be able to grab that final backcourt roster spot:
“He’s doing a nice job, so far,” Brown said. “But I’ve only seen three practices and then (Summer League). The kid Elliot Williams is pretty interesting, too. We feel like we have competitive guys in camp at that point guard position, so it’ll be fun to see how it shakes out.”
Dellavedova is thankful for the opportunity after going undrafted in June. He played for the Cavaliers’ summer league team in Vegas and his head-start on the defensive terminology and offensive sets might give him a slight edge in earning the third point guard spot.
“I think that’s definitely helped out a lot, learning the defensive rules, and the offensive concepts,” he said. “It’s helped out a lot so far.”
Here’s hoping that Delly continues to impress Mike Brown & the Cavs to sure up a position on the team come the Cavs first regular season game on the 30th October vs the Brooklyn Nets.
ICYMI: #believethehype caught up with Matthew Dellavedova in August for an interview during the FIBA Oceania Championships & spoke about his Summer League experiences & the upcoming training camp.

http://believethehypenba.com/2013/1...d-matthew-dellavedovas-shot-at-an-nba-roster/

“If I were to bet, I’d bet half my salary that I’d get a dunk before he does, and I’m not even playing anymore,” Cavs coach Mike Brown said. “He’s a non-athlete, but he gets everything out of his body you could hope or ask for. That’s all you want.”

ouch

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/growingup-delly-131011

On Thursday afternoon, Coach Brown shared a story about the 6-4, 190-pounder from pre-Draft workouts. Brought in to Cleveland with five other potential draftees, Dellavedova’s teams won three or four straight 3-on-3 games. Brown “traded” Dellavedova to the other team and that team proceeded to win the next three games.

Good on him man, regardless of the outcome, that's a friggin' rare acheivement for one of us. Go son!

Only played one minute so far in three games. Will be getting most of his minutes in garbage time. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs sent him to Canton (our D League team) so he can get some playing time

Back
Top Bottom