Official 2015-16 NBA Season Thread

BG32 with the ball handling skills

SeveralDimwittedCurlew.gif

Bumping this thread up as it's the official season thread (i think).

News today: NBA Playoff seeding to go purely by record for 2015-16 season. Still conferences but no more seedings based on division champs. AKA no more Portland at 4 seed. Thoughts? Great move i think, but why do they still have divisions at all? Do any teams actually care about being division champs?

I could be wrong, but don't the divisions still assist in scheduling games - ie teams play teams in their division 4 times or something? If so, that would still be its purpose.

I could be wrong, but don't the divisions still assist in scheduling games - ie teams play teams in their division 4 times or something? If so, that would still be its purpose.
yeah you might be onto something there. Anyway, thank god they fixed the seeding. It's a shame we had to have Spurs Clippers in the first round before they finally said enough is enough.

Last edited:

i think the NBA should scrap divisions, they've lost almost all meaning. i know they're used for the schedule, as you have correctly pointed out but if the NBA adapts the kind of system that the AFL does for their fixture- break the teams up into 3 pools in each conference and then each team in that pool plays each other 4 times in a season.

for example, lets use the West from last season:

1- Golden State
2- Houston
3- LA Clippers
4-Portland
5- Memphis

6- San Antonio
7- Dallas
8- New Orleans
9- Oklahoma City
10- Phoenix

11- Utah
12- Denver
13- Sacramento
14- LA Lakers
15- Minnesota

So the way this would work, the top bracket (red) would all face each other 4 times in the season, with the same rule applying for the blue and green pools of teams.

lets use GSW for an example.

if they face those 4 teams in their pool 4 times, that would account for 16 games. then they would face the rest of the 10 teams at a minimum 3 times, which accounts for 30 games. Then they face the teams from the east twice, which accounts for 30 games.

this adds up to 76 games and then the NBA can decide the other 6 games depending on TV deals, national TV broadcasts and all that business stuff. Or alternatively, they could make it a 76 game season, which would make it a fairer schedule and allows players more in-season rest

Last edited:
i think the NBA should scrap divisions, they've lost almost all meaning. i know they're used for the schedule, as you have correctly pointed out but if the NBA adapts the kind of system that the AFL does for their fixture- break the teams up into 3 pools in each conference and then each team in that pool plays each other 4 times in a season.

for example, lets use the West from last season:

1- Golden State
2- Houston
3- LA Clippers
4-Portland
5- Memphis

6- San Antonio
7- Dallas
8- New Orleans
9- Oklahoma City
10- Phoenix

11- Utah
12- Denver
13- Sacramento
14- LA Lakers
15- Minnesota

So the way this would work, the top bracket (red) would all face each other 4 times in the season, with the same rule applying for the blue and green pools of teams.

lets use GSW for an example.

if they face those 4 teams in their pool 4 times, that would account for 16 games. then they would face the rest of the 10 teams at a minimum 3 times, which accounts for 30 games. Then they face the teams from the east twice, which accounts for 30 games.

this adds up to 76 games and then the NBA can decide the other 6 games depending on TV deals, national TV broadcasts and all that business stuff. Or alternatively, they could make it a 76 game season, which would make it a fairer schedule and allows players more in-season rest

That's a really good proposal. It would hopefully have the result the AFL was pushing for - rivalries forming between the top teams.

Not really related to this season, however:

Via ESPN
"The US men's basketball team could go from Dream Team to D-League when it comes to qualifying for the 2019 Basketball World Cup.

With a new qualifying schedule that will feature two of the four windows of play occurring during the NBA season, it is possible the men's national team could be comprised of D-Leaguers."

"The two will be in late June and early September, theoretically allowing NBA players of all nationalities to represent their country in the offseason. The other two will be in November and February. And while most leagues around the world will simply shut down for a 10-day period to accommodate FIBA play, that concept has been deemed a non-starter in the NBA -- with an early idea of allowing an out to go on national duty during All Star Weekend taken off the table"

"The whole concept was developed in very close cooperation with the NBA and USA Basketball" FIBA 's sport and competition director Predrag Bogosavljev told ESPN"

Back
Top Bottom