Official 2014 NBA All Star Weekend Thread - SPOILERS

The dunk comp was basically a fossil as it was so at least they tried something new and try to get some life into it. Will they stay with that same one next year, I'd say not, but enough people were whinging about it as it was and/or not watching it so yeah let's see what happens!

It was a bit anti-climactic not actually seeing a head to head and winner declared but something had to change. Next year something else might again.
All they needed to do was take those 3 winning guys at the end (George, Ross, Wall) and then have them do 2 dunks each in the traditional /50 format. So we have the 6 dunks we saw today, followed by 6 more, and a clear winner. I don't think we saw enough of guys like Paul George today. Would have loved to see PG, Wall and Ross have 2 more each at the end.

I think less is more, a tweaked version of the 2000 dunk format would be my ideal version. One dunk attempt, 3 dunks per round, no shot clock, best 2 of 3 dunks counts in the first round counted for the score, 2 players advance to Finals. Finals same deal but only two dunks this round, but you get two attempts at a dunk. The tweak is that the judges can use a lifeline only once and award a final attempt to either player to allow them to make up for a poor score after both players have completed their rounds. I hate when players attempt dunks so many times ala Nate Robinson. The excitement and anticipation is gone after the missed dunk. You don't get do overs in the middle of a game.

All they needed to do was take those 3 winning guys at the end (George, Ross, Wall) and then have them do 2 dunks each in the traditional /50 format. So we have the 6 dunks we saw today, followed by 6 more, and a clear winner. I don't think we saw enough of guys like Paul George today. Would have loved to see PG, Wall and Ross have 2 more each at the end.

Agree!
First round timed Layup line to get the action going, no one trying to do the same dunk 12 times, East v West elimination, then remaining 2 or 3 dunks each judged by judges for a winner, no fan voting as it's a time limited popularity contest.

@FrankCaliendo: BREAKING:
NEW ORLEANS- Dwight Howard says he finally has the right players around him to win a championship. #NBAAllStarGame

@FrankCaliendo: The only way this Pre-game ceremony could have taken any longer is if Chris Webber had called time out.
#NBAAllStar

Back
Top Bottom