NSW RL Team Touring QLD 1927. Some Help with some history?

Sharky

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Steve
eBay User
sharkysparky
Some Help with some history if possible

A Colleague from work came across this photograph of his grandfather and I am curious if any of you knowledgeable folk out there have any history

NSWRL1927sm.jpg

Google has turned up empty so far

appreciate any help :)

Guy in the suit back row H Osmond = visitor. I'd love to know the story of how he got in the team photo!

Which one is your mates Grandfather?

On an interesting note for this time of the year NSW won the 4 game series 3 to 1

Not sure if your interested but I enjoyed a wasted hour or so looking up the St George players and this is what I learnt:

St George came last in 1926. They signed big in the off season and one of the signings was Stan Brain, Dragons were runners up in 1927 which was the Dragons first ever Grand Final appearance.

Aub "Jockey" "The Terror" Kelly
5 seasons for St George. He was St George Captain for 3 games in 1927 was a local junior and one of three Saints' players sent off in a match against Wests and received a lengthy season-ending suspension for stomping on the face of an opponent in 1928.

"...He was one of the many players who were forced out of the district to look for work during the Great Depression.
During his career, Kelly was described as, "almost universally the greatest forward in Australia, and one of the greatest the league code has produced. He was greatest as a destroyer and some of his diving tackles will never be forgotten..."

Arthur "Snowy" Justice: 3rd Dragon ever to represent Australia and played in the scoreless draw against the Poms on the 1929 tour. 113 games for the Dragons 1 club man.

Eddie Root: (great name) Played with St George in 1935 after playing most of his career with Souths. Capt Coach in St George match v Canterbury Bankstown that is still a record score 91-6.

Ernie "Curly" Lapham: A St George Junior and foundation player. Played in initial first grade match for Saints in 1921 and was the last remaining member alive of that initial team when he died at 99 in 2000.

Cheers
Ross

Back
Top Bottom