not enough rugby league

saintsforever

OzCardTrader
Real Name
david
eBay User
rugbydolltoys
started to get a bit bored with no matches to watch, whilst looking for something else came across all the videos and cd's, so I grabbed 1 and put it on.
1971 Grand final- souths vs saints.
wow forgot how good a match it was, black and white, players look small in statue, dry old scg pitch, are those were the days, not for the light hearted.
Probably the best player on the day was ron coote, hard to say from a saints point of view.
To hear a score of 1-0 half time lead to souths was bringing back the memories thick and fast.
Might watch some earlier ones next and then work to current matches.
Any thoughts or memories, feel free to comment, keep it clean boys and girls.

Foxtel has been playing all of the old grand finals and semi finals recently and I watched quite a few great games and realised how tough it was back then. One game I watched there was all in brawls and nearly every player had their heads removed in tackles.

There was a Panthers game from the early 90's I saw where I reckon in one set of six every tackle would have been a penalty today.

I must say it was great watching players such as Kenny, Sterling, Lamb, Elias, Roach etc running around.

The players these days I think are fitter and stronger but there were plenty in the old days that made up for it with skill.

Also how about the scrums......they used to charge into each other.........these days its a gentle cuddle and a chance for a rest.

JB HIFI has some good deals with old games. Come in nice collectable tins for the collector amongst us.

53CD47AC-3A44-4239-8394-1AB060C91DDA.png

Foxtel has been playing all of the old grand finals and semi finals recently and I watched quite a few great games and realised how tough it was back then. One game I watched there was all in brawls and nearly every player had their heads removed in tackles.

There was a Panthers game from the early 90's I saw where I reckon in one set of six every tackle would have been a penalty today.

I must say it was great watching players such as Kenny, Sterling, Lamb, Elias, Roach etc running around.

The players these days I think are fitter and stronger but there were plenty in the old days that made up for it with skill.

Also how about the scrums......they used to charge into each other.........these days its a gentle cuddle and a chance for a rest.
Matt, how far are they going back.

Matt, how far are they going back.

There was a late 70's game the other night and was just watching a bit of the 1981 Grand Final between Newtown and Parra.

I did a quick check and tonight they are going through until the 1986 GF and then showing a whole heap of different Manly games over the next 24 hours.......all different eras....80/90/10 and current games.

Looked up the guide and Jan 12th is Panthers day with a heap of games from the early 90's which will be great to watch!

Look for any Newtown game with Tommy in it lol. Everything he does is illegal . What a legend.
More off the ball hits in one game then you would see in a season now.

started to get a bit bored with no matches to watch, whilst looking for something else came across all the videos and cd's, so I grabbed 1 and put it on.
1971 Grand final- souths vs saints.
wow forgot how good a match it was, black and white, players look small in statue, dry old scg pitch, are those were the days, not for the light hearted.
Probably the best player on the day was ron coote, hard to say from a saints point of view.
To hear a score of 1-0 half time lead to souths was bringing back the memories thick and fast.
Might watch some earlier ones next and then work to current matches.
Any thoughts or memories, feel free to comment, keep it clean boys and girls.
Number 8 for the Red V was my old man 👍🏻

Look for any Newtown game with Tommy in it lol. Everything he does is illegal . What a legend.
More off the ball hits in one game then you would see in a season now.

Not wrong......he was on fire old Tommy. Legend!

I love watching the old games as well, the speed of the game no time wasting , no wrestling just a very tough game of attrition.
pulled out 1968 world cup, might watch that tomorow.
Ross, gotta love the swinging arms, the old rake backs in the play the balls, can't wait to get to the brass and peard era on the bombs.

pulled out 1968 world cup, might watch that tomorow.
Ross, gotta love the swinging arms, the old rake backs in the play the balls, can't wait to get to the brass and peard era on the bombs.

What about no marker.....play the ball forward and play on.

I love the ferocity of the scrums.......they take a run up to pack them! LOL

luv'n it.
Started reading some old rugby league weeks of late, looking for a few references.
Came across something i had completely forgotten about back in 1979.
Big mal was in talks with the mighty saints about signing.
He eventually went to brisbane souths.
Wow what could have been,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom