NEWTOWN JETS first members badge

the game rugby league

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
moz
Are there any die hard newtown supporters here that can tell me when the jets released their 1st club members badge. I know the story goes to form and open the clubhouse there had to be a certain amount of members and at the time they could not achieve this and some how got the figures to open it. I Know they are a founding club in 1908

Last edited:
Not a fan as such but if I had my way Newtown and North Sydney would be back in the comp tomorrow and the merger teams seperated. Abolutely tragic what happened to the NSWRL.
In contrast the VFL only lost 2 teams. One through relocation: South Melbourne>Sydney and one through a merger: Fitzroy which got swallowed up by Brisbane. Both South Melbourne and Fitzroy were foundation members from the inaugural 1897 season.

The NRL has Souths( almost kicked out) and Easts. That's all that's left from 1908.

Insert man yelling at cloud gif

Not a fan as such but if I had my way Newtown and North Sydney would be back in the comp tomorrow and the merger teams seperated. Abolutely tragic what happened to the NSWRL.
In contrast the VFL only lost 2 teams. One through relocation: South Melbourne>Sydney and one through a merger: Fitzroy which got swallowed up by Brisbane. Both South Melbourne and Fitzroy were foundation members from the inaugural 1897 season.

The NRL has Souths( almost kicked out) and Easts. That's all that's left from 1908.

Insert man yelling at cloud gif
Your forgetting Newcastle.
They were a foundation team as well.

Just to expand on whatI said so I don't get misconstrued. I'm all for expansion but not at the expense of existing clubs.

Perhaps the NRL could've done what the poms do and have more than 1 division with promotion and relegation. It would've meant that Newtown would still be around and while they may have ended up playing in the second division for a long time there' would've been the hope that things could turn around and they get back to the top.

I love the tradition of the game and it's sad to me that Newtown and North Sydney are not in the league anymore. And that Balmain Wests St.Gerorge and Illawarra are not stand alone teams. Eventually another team will enter along with the Dolphins,( hopefully PNG) but I'd be shattered if that meant another merger, relocation etc.. Hopefully the NRL can work with 18 teams or even 20 in the future. I hope Perth gets a team back and pehaps a 4th team in QLD

Cumberland out

Newcastle out
Annandale in
University in

Annandale out
St.George in

Glebe out

Canterbury-Bankstown in

University out

Parramatta in
Manly-Warringah in

Penrith in
Cronulla-Sutherland in

Canberra in
Illawarra in

Newtown out

Brisbane in
Gold Coast in
Newcastle back in

North Queensland ( Townsville) in
South Queensland Crushers ( Brisbane) in
Western Reds( Perth) in
Auckland Warriors in

Disaster

1998 -2001
"The Great Cull"

Cumberland out

Newcastle out
Annandale in
University in

Annandale out
St.George in

Glebe out

Canterbury-Bankstown in

University out

Parramatta in
Manly-Warringah in

Penrith in
Cronulla-Sutherland in

Canberra in
Illawarra in

Newtown out

Brisbane in
Gold Coast in
Newcastle back in

North Queensland ( Townsville) in
South Queensland Crushers ( Brisbane) in
Western Reds( Perth) in
Auckland Warriors in

Disaster

1998 -2001
"The Great Cull"
What about Adelaide Do they form part of the disaster.

Hey Moz,

Drifting back onto topic for a moment what year was the first Jets badge?

Ross
1959 was the first badge.

IMG_6947 (2).PNG

Wow 1959 that's old. I don't recall really ever seeing any Newtown badges before. Interesting 1959-1960 on the badge and also a 1960. With Dragons badges the ones spanning 2 years like 1959-1960 where associates badges but that was always printed on the badge, did that change for Newtown over time?

1963 was the first for the Dragons.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom