Newbie Card Collector Here!

JHardensBeard

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Sam
Gday lads I think I’m in the right place positing this if I’m not please make sure to let me know! I’m a huge basketball fan and have always liked the idea behind collecting cool cards but funds haven’t always been there for me to do so. I have just found a new job and it’s given me a bit of room to maybe make this a cool hobby. I guess my biggest question is where do I start? Is there a right answer to this question? I’m a die hard rockets man and of course would love to collect some cool rockets autos and patches but I don’t want to just exclusively collect rockets stuff. Is the best way to go about it to just browse eBay and bid on things that catch my eye? Or is buying boxes a semi exciting way to start your collecting? I’d appreciate any feedback and comments lads thanks in advance!

Hey mate. In the section above Basketball on the main page you will see a link to New Member Intros where these usually go.

Re your question of where do you start you probably should experience a bit of everything you listed to see what floats your boat. Buying boxes provides the fun of pack opening and seeing if you pull some James Harden mojo, but you need to appreciate that you will rarely find a box where the cards you get equal the value you paid for the box. I tend to hope for 50% value in cards and the other 50% in fun.

You can also go in Breaks where you pay for a spot in a break and get a random team allocated, or a pick your team break where you can buy a team. Maybe visit cherrycollectables.com.au and in the menu select Breaks and you will see some options. Again the risk is you get bugger all for your money, but it’s not a bad way to gather cards that you can then sell to build up your PayPal balance or trade for Rockets cards. eBay is a good way to target specific types of cards, but be aware there are people bidding their own prices up, plus there is now GST charged for overseas.

You could start here by posting a thread in the Wanted section saying the types of cards you are interested in, and members will post some pics for you to see and provide pricing.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Well firstly welcome to the hobby. All can agree that collecting can be expensive at times but my advice to you is pick a player or a few you want to concentrate on as doing a whole team can really burn your money and with no certainty of a player staying to the team. Besides buying boxes there is also group break where you buy the team you wanted or a random team is the cheaper option you can do aswell. Good luck and I hope it helps you a bit.

Welcome aboard mate. I would agree with the others, if there are some key players you want an auto or rookie of grab those first and work your way through. Breaks can be rewarding but can also disappoint it's like buying a lotto ticket to put it simply. So in the first instance maybe i would think getting some nice pieces that you like first.
Then have a flirt with breaks or buying a box.
Main thing is to enjoy the hobby, don't let it destroy your budget. Keep a level view on things and you will enjoy the sh!t out of collecting.
Good luck with it!

Welcome to the forum! I am new to the forum as well. I also don't have that many funds to enjoy breaking boxes, etc so I can feel you. One thing I do, as stated by some members already is joining group breaks. I joined Cherry's breaks a few times and what's good is each week there's a Pick Your Own Team break and you can just pick Rockets every week.

Back
Top Bottom