New member, NBA, NRL, NSWRL, QRL etc.

treiziste

OzCardTrader
Real Name
John
eBay User
blakbunny
Hi everyone, yet another person returning to the hobby. I started collecting in the early 80's as a young kid - mostly NSW Rugby League. I then dropped out and came back during the card explosion from 89 (NSWRL, NBA, Batman, Turtles etc). Imanaged to put together a large collection, only for my ex wife to put the boxes out into our shed, where most of it was heavily water damaged. Everything from a bunch of late 80's NBA, baseball and NFL, to 1968 and 69 NSWRL, UK rugby league, Scanlens cricket, and even weird stuff like Neighbours cards. I managed to find that I had kept a small lot in the house - 89-96 rugby league, 92 NSWRL (cards I had sent to clubs and they sent back signed), a few 68's and NBA, NFL and NHL bits and pieces.

Flash forward to a few months ago, and I've been buying occasional packs of NRL cards for my sons, chasing Rabbitohs, and decided as a lark to grab a couple of packs of NBA Optic, looking to suss it out before trying again this year for a Giddey rookie (along with Cunningham, Mobley and Wagner etc). I was blown away by the prices of the packs and decided to pass, but was curious enough to come back another day, and even more blown away by the value of the purple Lamelo and silver Edwards I pulled.

So to this point, I've ripped a few boxes, have a few more coming, and for my boys I gave them a box of NRL Traders for their birthdays. I've signed up to ShipMyCards and have a bunch of cards headed our way.

Great story and very relatable as most card collectors have periods where life gets in the way of the glorious pursuit of card collecting. Pity about your 80's NBA collection great to hear you still salvaged some rugby cards. Wow neighbours cards very cool and hope you hit that Giddey Rookie sign. yes unfortunately the old school card collectors are having to pay overs for cards to compete against the modern collector who treats cards like a quick Bitcoin opportunity to make money, still could be worse if we were into stamp collecting at least their still value in the cards and for the hobbyist a lot of fun hope your kids enjoy the experience.

Thanks, yeah it's a bit weird seeing boxes of cards selling out before hitting the market and robbing kids of the chance to be a part of the hobby, at least when it comes to basketball. Investing in cards is a positive thing and I don't knock it, but if the buyer can't help themselves from buying every box in the store then Panini should be putting limits up, or at the very least produce a series of cards which is collectable but worthless, so kids have something to go after. Print Hoops or something else 20x over, and then pull back on print runs for other series for hardcore collectors.

Welcome! I'm always envious reading about people in USA finding stuff in the attic or on craigs list or garage sale days as I think it's a different culture here and we don't get to discover things like that for the most part!

Love @ShipMyCards - great service - good luck with the box busting!

Back
Top Bottom