New Immortals named tonight.....

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

Love to hear you everyone is choosing for the next Immortal(s) named tonight?

I know they said they will only pick 1 or 2 so my choices would be in order:

1 - Dally Messenger
2 - Norm Provan
3 - Mal Meninga
4 - Darren Lockyer
5 - Ron Coote

Maybe they will posthumously award Immortal Status to Messenger and then name 2 new living Immortals (Provan/Meninga)?

Almost makes me think there should be a new/old card release tied into this?

Cheers
Matt

I want Provan but don’t think it will be . Dally M and Meninga if they pick 2?

1 - Dally Messenger
2 - Norm Provan
3 - Darren Lockyer
4- Ron Coote
5 - Mal Meninga

Although in saying that I maybe biased but I still don't get how Brett kenny doesn't get a look in. Wally Lewis said he was the best player he played against. He kept lewis out of the test team when he was vice captain and kept Meninga out of centre spot.

1 - Dally Messenger
2 - Norm Provan
3 - Darren Lockyer
4- Ron Coote
5 - Mal Meninga

Although in saying that I maybe biased but I still don't get how Brett kenny doesn't get a look in. Wally Lewis said he was the best player he played against. He kept lewis out of the test team when he was vice captain and kept Meninga out of centre spot.

Wonderful player Bert, one of the absolute greats. I am sure his lack of media profile post career has kept him out of many discussions.

Has to be Dally M and Sticks. Mal should get in before Locky though.

Wonderful player Bert, one of the absolute greats. I am sure his lack of media profile post career has kept him out of many discussions.

Has to be Dally M and Sticks. Mal should get in before Locky though.
yeah still dont get how Dally M isn't an immortal yet, baffles me. NRL top individual award is named after him yet he's still yet to be named an immortal

They totally missed a trick here.

Should have done 2 new Modern Age (post war) Immortals.

Then they should have gone back and done a pre-WWII Immortals set - 10-15 Immortals of pioneers who created the game and made it was it is - Messenger, Dave Brown, George Treweek, etc.

It's sad though - the Immortals concept was established to sell RLW and port.

When the NRL took it back, it really needed to be morphed in to the Hall of Fame.

In fact, if I had my way, the 25 they named to be short listed for Hall of Fame would have been immediately inducted.

I'd also just induct all the 100 players of the Centenary to the Hall of Fame too. And then add on for 2009-2018. From there on in, induct one new Hall of Famer from the following eras:

* Pioneers - 1908-1925.
* Pre War - 1926-1945
* Post War - 1946-1959.
* Sixties
* Seventies
* Eighties
* Nineties
* 2000s
* 2010s

That'd give you at least 8-9 per year inducted. With a good sprinkling of dead RL players, old blokes and middle agers.

Hi everyone,

Love to hear you everyone is choosing for the next Immortal(s) named tonight?

I know they said they will only pick 1 or 2 so my choices would be in order:

1 - Dally Messenger
2 - Norm Provan
3 - Mal Meninga
4 - Darren Lockyer
5 - Ron Coote

Maybe they will posthumously award Immortal Status to Messenger and then name 2 new living Immortals (Provan/Meninga)?

Almost makes me think there should be a new/old card release tied into this?

Cheers
Matt
Good idea Matt....and maybe they should release it towards the end of the year when Elite settles down...

The players who were picked in Team of the Century who aren’t already Immortals should get automatic Immortal status. Everybody wins

The players who were picked in Team of the Century who aren’t already Immortals should get automatic Immortal status. Everybody wins

I love the Immortal concept despite the fact that it was more a marketing gimmick and was poorly managed for so long but the gradual adding of members over a period of time appeals to me and makes it more special.
And then there were 11...

Dally Messenger
Frank Burge
Dave Brown

All immediately inducted as Immortals as nods to the pioneers.

Fantastic IMHO.

Agreed. Love the nostalgic aspect the Immortal concept delivers.
Dave Brown, first and only Immortal who didn’t make the TOTC

Back
Top Bottom