WoobieZarz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scotty
eBay User
WoobieZarz
COMC User
WoobieZarz
Ok, so I've been wondering, just how good are the Superstars of today's NBA...

Each Season brings new Leaders, new Improved players, new Shooters, new Passers, etc etc etc.

Here's what I'm thinking.

With the NBA Stars today, would they be stars IF....

* If they played for a different team
* If they had a different Coach
* If they came off the bench
* If they started
* etc etc etc

What are your thoughts on these players:

Jason Kidd
13th Season
Career Averages: 14.6ppg, 9.2apg, 6.6rpg, 2.0spg

We've all see Kidd this season, and last, and before, that and the other 10 years before that. What makes me wonder, any Point Guard who averages near 10-10 (10ppg, 10apg) is good yeah? It means they're scoring, and passing. But is Kidd a good rebounder? I think not. I've not seen him actuall box out, and crash the boards. While he's had a season high of 14 Rebounds, does this mean he's good at it, or just happens to be in the right place at the right time, or that there's no one there when the ball comes off the backboard & rim?

Next...

Lebron James
4th Season
Career Averages: 26.5ppg, 6.6apg, 6.6rpg, 1.08pg, 41.4mpg

I'm sure we all know by now, this kid has the shoes that MJ once wore. He just hasnt worn them yet. Now don't get me wrong, it's only his 4th Season, it's not like anyone from his Draft Year has won a ring... oh wait D Wade has. Anyways, bad joke.

As a Rook, Brons' stats were VERY close to his current career stats (20.9ppg, 5.9apg, 5.5rpg, 1.6spg & 39.5mpg), but for someone with his "skill" wouldnt you think he'd be doing more 3 years on? For someone who handles the ball 9/10 times down the floor, and shoots it 8/10 times, don't you think he should have a higher point average?

What if Lebron was drafted by the Nuggets (3rd) and Melo #1 Overall Pick? Or Wade or Bosh? Would Bron have the same impact that he's having in Cleveland if he played with Camby, K-Mart, JR Smith, and 'Dre Miller??

I think not. I think Bron has done what he's done, because he's got no Supporting Cast.

Which leads me to my next Superstar...

Kevin Garnett
12th Season
Career Averages: 20.4ppg, 4.5apg, 11.3rpg, 1.70bpg, 1.4spg, 41.4mpg

Ya know, for a guy this big, and athletic, is there any reason why KG isn't putting up 25 & 15? Or 30 & 15? He has no help on the boards, so why only the 11rpg?? 4 Years ago (03-04) KG was averaging 24.2ppg & 13.9rpg, and his stats pretty much doubled the first 4 seasons in the NBA.

Are we expecting too much from young KG?

How about we surroung KG with a decent PG, would that help? Mike James isnt the greatest PASSER, he tends to shoot first, pass in the next quarter/half/game.

He's got Ricky D no one OUTSTANDING, but he's still pretty decent. But he has very little of any other help.

Let's give him a decent Centre, say Houston's Yao Ming (18.1ppg & 8.9rpg). Would KG have the same PPG and RPG as he once averaged?

Is it just that because KG has no other supporting cast, he feels the need to do it all? Would moving him to another Team give him a ring?

Doubt it.

Who's next...

Steve Nash
11th Season
Career Averages: 13.7ppg, 7.2apg, 42% 3PT

2-Time League MVP. Pretty impressive!
Or is it?

It took Mr Nash 6 seasons to average double figures in scoring, and it wasnt until 2003-04 Season that he averaged 8 assists per game (what some would call "decent").

Sure, his early days weren't that great, and it wasnt until he joined up with Dirk, and Co. that he started to get a name for himself. Then his move out to Phoenix, joining up with Amare, Matrix, Barbosa, Bell, and others.

THIS is where Steve Nash was "born".

Is Steve a great passer? Is Steve a great Scorer? Or does he just have great fundementals?

I say it's a bit of both. He does have some really flashy passes, as we've seen from time to time fill up the Top 10 Plays, but without the Yang, there's no Ying.

Without Matrix, and Amare, and Bell, and Barbosa, and Co. there's no Alley-Oops, there's no Running Guns, there's no Open Jumpers.

Is Steve this great, 2 MVPS, Career Highs in Points (20.2), Assists (11.7) 3PT % (48.9) & Minutes (36.6) all because he's with Phoenixand becaues Coach D'Antonio has the Suns playing the Running Games that make Steve better?

I think I'll leave it there for the moment, I have a few more players I want to pick on, but will see how this first lot go.

Good topic Mavs...but i think all of these players have excelled because they are good and have been needed in there positions in their respective teams....

Like Dwight Howard, he is a monster but he was also needed in a team full of rising guards.....had he been picked on a team that had players similar to him, he would have appeared no where near as dominant.....Just look at Darko!!

interesting read exp the bron but u can do this to every player and be4 u say it, without stockton theres no malone blah blah blah NOT lol, anyway i guess do it with the best nba player probably being kobe, think that would be a good read

Just one little point, put LeBron in Denver's situation now and it wouldn't change much at all, check Melo's stats this year, he's shooting as much as AI! lol. They are looking very much like a 1 man team, similar to LeBron's situation in Cleveland.

Do Pierce! and Devin

I only agree with the steve nash thing lol I think kidd is five times better than nash and he has great court awarness thats why he gets board because he can read the play. Kg needs to bust out of that hole!

Interesting stuff! I think KG relocating to a team where he isn't the main attraction would be a good move. He's got pressure on him every game to go out and be the man, he play his heart out and gets nowhere for 10 years. The Bulls or Lakers would be fitting.

u imply nash wouldnt be the same player if on another team. but the question should be will the other phx players be this good if they didnt have steve nash? i mean diaw, bell and barbosa were all unheard of before joining phx.

what happened to joe johnson when he went to atlanta?? he struggled at first and the team is still struggling atm. why??? no nash to give him open looks

remember last season when amare was out??? no one predicted phx to make conference finals, or even imagined nash winning b2b mvps. sure the other players stepped it up, but why??? they had nash.

if nash was out for a season, the suns will struggle to make playoffs imo.

hes a superstar and no doubt deserves the rewards he has achieved.

u imply nash wouldnt be the same player if on another team. but the question should be will the other phx players be this good if they didnt have steve nash? i mean diaw, bell and barbosa were all unheard of before joining phx.

what happened to joe johnson when he went to atlanta?? he struggled at first and the team is still struggling atm. why??? no nash to give him open looks

remember last season when amare was out??? no one predicted phx to make conference finals, or even imagined nash winning b2b mvps. sure the other players stepped it up, but why??? they had nash.

if nash was out for a season, the suns will struggle to make playoffs imo.

hes a superstar and no doubt deserves the rewards he has achieved.

right on brother, agree with all those points. :D

Kinda agree with the above on Nash too. I saw a few features and highlights on a the 12/13 straight wins on Fox tonight and have to say, the offense is for Nash to run, find and dish to his teammates for an easy score. Very, very fast paced.
I think about Magic Johnson talking about a PG 'choosing' the MVP, really, Nash gets the credit for the work he does by winning it himself. I think Nash is great, but even then, someone like the Matrix gets great position to help make it easier for the assist. So it could go a little either way.

All I asked was
Is Steve this great, 2 MVPS, Career Highs in Points (20.2), Assists (11.7) 3PT % (48.9) & Minutes (36.6) all because he's with Phoenixand becaues Coach D'Antonio has the Suns playing the Running Games that make Steve better?

Not would Phoenix struggle without him.

All I'm saying is that he was good with Dallas, but he's Great now with Phoenix, and WHY is it that he's great now??????????????

1 - Coach (Running Style)
2 - Team Chemistry (they all know their plays)
3 - Players (getting open jumpers, connecting on Alley-Oops)

So I guess Nash wouldnt be the same with another team.

Period.

Back
Top Bottom