NBA draft lottery chances for 2006

Oh cmon Chad, Gerald Green was a great pick for the Celts ... where is he again ?? :crybaby: :crybaby:

Seriously though, all of those have a chance to get #1 pick. Remember the Magic did it a few years back when they got Shaq at #1 with the 2nd most number of balls in the barrel, then the following year they had 1 chance out of 60 odd balls (the least in the barrel) and got #1 again, and picked up Chris Webber.

So, it does happen. Though, after the Magic got lucky, they changed the rules. They don't have 1400 balls in a barrel. Heres how they do it :

The Board of Governors approved a modification of the Lottery system in November of 1993 that, effective with the 1994 NBA Draft Lottery, increased the chances of the teams with the worst records in the league winning one of the top three picks in the draft while decreasing the lottery chances of the teams with the best records. The new system increased the chances of the team with the worst record drawing the first pick in the draft from 16.7 percent to 25 percent, while decreasing the chances of the team with the best record among lottery teams from 1.5 percent to 0.5 percent.

Under the system, 14 ping-pong balls numbered 1 through 14 are placed in a drum. There are 1,001 possible combinations when four balls are drawn out of 14, without regard to their order of selection. Prior to the Lottery, 1,000 combinations are assigned to the Lottery teams based on their order of finish during the regular season. Four balls are drawn to the top to determine a four-digit combination. The team that has been assigned that combination will receive the number one pick. The four balls are placed back in the drum and the process is repeated to determine the number two and three picks. (Note: If the one unassigned combination is drawn, the balls are drawn to the top again.)

Magicman said:
oh pick 1 for the Magic, wheres that lucky guy at the Magic lol.

Refer to Post #7

Pat Williams is our lucky rabbit's foot. He was 3/3 until last year, being the only time he hasn't come away with the #1 pick.

hill33 said:
Seriously though, all of those have a chance to get #1 pick. Remember the Magic did it a few years back when they got Shaq at #1 with the 2nd most number of balls in the barrel, then the following year they had 1 chance out of 60 odd balls (the least in the barrel) and got #1 again, and picked up Chris Webber.

So, it does happen. Though, after the Magic got lucky, they changed the rules.

And now they only draw the top 3 picks, not all lottery picks. They also used to pick all lottery positions, but now if you have the worst record, the lowest pick you're guaranteed is the 4th pick.

Didn't you read my post Mr Hill? I said apart from the last three years our drafts have been terrible. Down right terrible and some trade decisions have been down right awfull. Thank god Ainge and the new owners came in when they did. I've been waiting 20 years for another title. There is now way you can say we look after our picks unless you are talking about the last two years. Kedrick Brown???

LOL Locky. But I follow a team that expects sucess ;-)

Golden States glory time is Hanging with Mr Cooper! LMAO

sorry dude :-P

I think me and Vlad are the only Celts fans here that have seen a championship or two as well.

i think the Celts are only a good draft pick this year away from being a powerhouse again....Al Jefferson is gunna be a star, Paul Pierce already is, and with Wally aswell...

Where you been Apart from the last few years our drafts have been shocking and our trading of young talent famous around the league. We have been a draft laughing stock for a long time and got lucky with Pierce etc.

Also Pierce has had plenty of playoff experiance with some clutch performances and a trip to the Conference finals etc. KG hasn't got past the second round to point out lack of experiance.
That's what I was talking about Chad, lol, from what I have seen. I have only been back into basketball for the last few years.
They still lack experience. Remember Chad, stats don't tell the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom