NBA at 75 - The 75 Greatest Players

Essellohbeebeewhy

OzCardTrader
Real Name
John
So in 2021-22 The NBA will announce its 75 Greatest Players. Apparently its an all new list that doesn't necessarily mean the original 50 will be part of it (we know Pipppen is a lock given he's the real Bulls GOAT, not that other bum).

I've been trying to think of 25 players who could be added to that list in the last 25 years so thought i'd see what everyone else had. This is all i can come up with. I'm no NBA historian but given analytics play a huge part in the NBA today i'm guessing they'll go down that path but i'm not really much for that either!! I'm not numbering either..just throwing names out there. Feel free to add to the list cos i can't get 25!! Asterix are the one i think are certain locks. I've made the assumption the OG 50 stay in there.

Kobe*
Lebron*
Tim Duncan*
Dirk*
Steph Curry*
Durant*
Giannis*
Garnett *
Iverson*
Dennis Rodman
Dwayne Wade
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Steve Nash
Grant Hill
Jason Kidd
Westbrook
Harden
Dominique Wilkins (i think they'll add him given i think he was hard done by)
Artis Gilmore
Vince Carter
Melo
Ray Allen
Kawhi
i didnt think i could get to 25 but i got 3 i could add.
Reggie Miller
Dwight Howard
Gary Payton

the last 3 are probably a reach. Interested in what people think.

Too early have Steph, kawhi, harden, Westbrook and giannis in the list. I'd definitely have Ray Allen on that list along with mutombo. Outside of them... The van arsdale brothers (Tom and dick were both dominant scorers), Alex English, David Thompson, Rolando Blackman.... So that puts Dwight and durant out also.

Too early have Steph, kawhi, harden, Westbrook and giannis in the list. I'd definitely have Ray Allen on that list along with mutombo. Outside of them... The van arsdale brothers (Tom and dick were both dominant scorers), Alex English, David Thompson, Rolando Blackman.... So that puts Dwight and durant out also.
In my opinion Steph, Giannis and Durant are 100% going to make that list. It'd be ridiculous if they didn't. Steph and KD are probably top 20-30 players of all-time already...

Steph (12 seasons, more than enough): Literally changed the game, greatest 3 point shooter of all-time, 3 x champion, 2 x MVP

KD (13 seasons): Top 5 scorer of all-time, probably the greatest scorer of this era, 2 x champion, 2 x Finals MVP, 1 x MVP

You could make an argument that Giannis hasn't been around long enough, but Shaq made the 1996 team and he had only been in the league for 4 seasons. The Greek Freak has done way more in his 8 seasons than Shaq had done in his 4 (NBA Champion, 2 x MVP, Finals MVP, DPOY)...

In addition to those 3 (the order of listing players is arbitrary)...

LOCKS TO MAKE IT
1. Steph
2. KD
3. Giannis
4. Kobe
5. LeBron
6. Timmy D
7. Dirk
8. KG
9. AI
10. D-Wade
11. CP3
12. Harden
13. Kawhi
14. J-Kidd
15. Nash

PROBABLY
16. Russ
17. McAdoo
18. 'Nique
19. Melo
20. The Truth
21. Jesus Shuttlesworth
22. Reggie
23. The Glove
24. T-Mac

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
25. The Worm
26. Artis Gilmore
27. Vinsanity
28. Bosh
29. Adrian Dantley
30. Dwight
31. Zo
32. Yao
33. C-Webb
34. Big Ben
35. Amar'e
36. Pau
37. AD
38. Dame

I reckon they will drop a handful of players off that original 50 though, so potentially it could be 30 people added, not 25... I also wonder if they'll give extra credit to international players who've had relatively good NBA success and also played a role in the global expansion of the game... I could see Pau getting in, and I wonder if Tony Parker and/or Manu get some consideration?

So in 2021-22 The NBA will announce its 75 Greatest Players. Apparently its an all new list that doesn't necessarily mean the original 50 will be part of it (we know Pipppen is a lock given he's the real Bulls GOAT, not that other bum).

I've been trying to think of 25 players who could be added to that list in the last 25 years so thought i'd see what everyone else had. This is all i can come up with. I'm no NBA historian but given analytics play a huge part in the NBA today i'm guessing they'll go down that path but i'm not really much for that either!! I'm not numbering either..just throwing names out there. Feel free to add to the list cos i can't get 25!! Asterix are the one i think are certain locks. I've made the assumption the OG 50 stay in there.

Kobe*
Lebron*
Tim Duncan*
Dirk*
Steph Curry*
Durant*
Giannis*
Garnett *
Iverson*
Dennis Rodman
Dwayne Wade
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Steve Nash
Grant Hill
Jason Kidd
Westbrook
Harden
Dominique Wilkins (i think they'll add him given i think he was hard done by)
Artis Gilmore
Vince Carter
Melo
Ray Allen
Kawhi
i didnt think i could get to 25 but i got 3 i could add.
Reggie Miller
Dwight Howard
Gary Payton

the last 3 are probably a reach. Interested in what people think.

🤗
B8F4A33C-C04C-4E77-82B6-73272C7A9E6B.jpeg

Last edited:
People were debating the list since the 50 came out, they'll have to definitely upset some fans with this 75 list and also maybe take a flyer on a couple players that will be great in 10 years so the list seems good until the 100 years comes out.

People were debating the list since the 50 came out, they'll have to definitely upset some fans with this 75 list and also maybe take a flyer on a couple players that will be great in 10 years so the list seems good until the 100 years comes out.
Tangent - where would you rank KG all-time?

I love to hear arguments from fans of specific players, because they typically have the best insights having followed those players so closely. I haven't done a deep dive into it but I think I've got him top 25 for sure...

Positionally I'd definitely have him after Tim Duncan, but maybe ahead of Malone? Duncan, KG, Malone, Dirk, Barkley probably my top 5 PF roughly in that order... What do you think?

Tangent - where would you rank KG all-time?

I love to hear arguments from fans of specific players, because they typically have the best insights having followed those players so closely. I haven't done a deep dive into it but I think I've got him top 25 for sure...

Positionally I'd definitely have him after Tim Duncan, but maybe ahead of Malone? Duncan, KG, Malone, Dirk, Barkley probably my top 5 PF roughly in that order... What do you think?

thinking about this - reply later

Looking at some stats for TMac after I heard him on a podcast - I think he has to be on the 75 list over Anthony Davis - he played 16 seasons and 8 of those seasons due to injuries he had 500 points or under - and still had almost 19,000 career points and back to back scoring titles.

I wouldn't say every player who won the scoring title should be on the list cause then you'd have to include George Yardley in 57-58 for example but everyone else is almost on the 75 list or will be on the 100 for sure.

Looking at some stats for TMac after I heard him on a podcast - I think he has to be on the 75 list over Anthony Davis - he played 16 seasons and 8 of those seasons due to injuries he had 500 points or under - and still had almost 19,000 career points and back to back scoring titles.

I wouldn't say every player who won the scoring title should be on the list cause then you'd have to include George Yardley in 57-58 for example but everyone else is almost on the 75 list or will be on the 100 for sure.

Shots fired at George Yardley!!! 🔫

Back
Top Bottom