Motor Sport NASCAR - Trip to Darlington Raceway - "The Lady in Black"

AusRam

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Trevor
Hi Guys,

Just returned from a trip to the States where I was lucky enough to be able to get another thing marked off my "bucket list" and that is to see a real NASCAR round.
Was a great experience and of course I was barracking for our man Marcos Ambrose, who had a reasonable weekend. Darlington in South Carolina is known as one of the hardest tracks to race on and has a couple of nick names like "The Lady in Black" and "Too Tough to Tame". It's not the biggest, or the fastest, but requires a great amount of concentration on behalf of the drivers.
Anyway here's a few pics from the weekend....Saturday Night Nationwide race won by Kyle Busch.

Starting at dusk...

IMG_3315Medium.jpg

And we're racing

IMG_3347Medium.jpg

The ones with four wheels worked better!

IMG_3362Medium.jpg

Getting darker now..

IMG_3370Medium.jpg

Just re-arranged the aerodynamics a bit...

IMG_3420Medium.jpg

Big pile up on the back straight..

IMG_3434Medium.jpg

Had a good view of the pits, which would be especially handy the following night..

IMG_3446Medium.jpg

The Winner, Kyle Busch doing his Victory Burn Out!

IMG_3496Medium.jpg

---------- Post added 03-06-2011 at 04:37 PM ----------

Prior to the main Cup race the next day there was the chance to do a pit walk which was pretty cool...

View along the pit lane -

IMG_3527Medium.jpg

The Grandstand -

IMG_3518Medium.jpg

Getting Ambrose's tyres ready-

IMG_3517Medium.jpg

Ambrose's car waiting on pit lane..

IMG_3531Medium.jpg

Me, sitting on the #9 pit wall

IMG_3538Medium.jpg

Another favorite car - Clint Bowyer's number 33

IMG_3534Medium.jpg

Another nice evening as the cars get going..

IMG_3562Medium.jpg

Marcos qualified 7th , which isn't bad for him on an oval -

IMG_3582Medium.jpg

Marcos in the pits later in the race, I was lucky enough to be sitting just about opposite -

IMG_3605Medium.jpg

And not a bad shot of him taking off..

IMG_3771Medium.jpg

Mr Five-time, Jimmie Johnson

IMG_3730Medium.jpg

Some guys haven't got the whole pitting thing worked out yet ! ;-)

IMG_3691Medium.jpg

Damage to the right hand side like this is called a "Darlington Stripe". Not too many cars avoid getting one..

IMG_3778Medium.jpg

Mr Five-time loses it on the main straight

IMG_3790Medium.jpg

And Joey Logano stacks it along there too -

IMG_3927Medium.jpg

But no one does it better than Clint Bowyer !

IMG_4288Medium.jpg

You can hire these gadgets called fan view which are very handy. You can get all the scores etc, listen to any driver talking to their crew or switch between any of the in car cameras. All pretty neat actually and well worth the hire price.

IMG_3787Medium.jpg

The mad rush to get cars serviced during a yellow flag -

IMG_3802Medium.jpg

And then the race off pit road -

IMG_3822Medium.jpg

Although sometimes they never made it out again - Jeff Burtons car blew an engine -

IMG_4268Medium.jpg

And Brian Vickers had a coming together with someone that peeled open the whole side of his car -

IMG_3898Medium.jpg

And the winner on the night, due to a bit of luck and a good strategy call was Regan Smith, first career win and first win for this team. Not a bad one to get at the track "Too Tough to Tame" !

IMG_4310Medium.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics. I had a ball and I'm already of thinking of going back to do a couple more races some day...

AusRam

---------- Post added 03-06-2011 at 04:43 PM ----------

And as a bonus to those of you who read this far. I stayed in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. A nice place, but a bit touristy. I did however, find a good shop which I think a lot of you would like. The guys there were pretty cool and let me take some photo's to share. It was called Sports Fanatic.

IMG_4360Medium.jpg

IMG_4355Medium.jpg

IMG_4356Medium.jpg

IMG_4357Medium.jpg

IMG_4358Medium.jpg

IMG_4359Medium.jpg

Luckily they didn't have a whole lot of Rams stuff or I might have spent way more than the couple of hundred I did !!

Cheers...

Thats wicked

Great photos

That fanview ;ooks pretty handy to.

One of my goals is to go to a nascar race. It would be the best thing every. I wont to go to bristol. Thats my favourite track to watch.

Thanks guys, glad you liked it. Yeah Kangers, Bristol would be something else...looks like the Roman Colliseum of racing ! Wouldn't mind seeing Talladega or Daytona either...maybe someday...

Back
Top Bottom