My ESP 2013 NRL Traders Review.

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
I thought I would post a review on the new 2013 NRL Traders release from ESP which was released to the market today. This is ESP’s first mainstream release after the introductory Limited Edition set released late last year.

I purchased a box of 2013 NRL Traders through a local newsagency who said that they had sold all of their allocated sealed boxes, aside from 4 boxes used for loose packs. I also purchased another 9 packs from the local BP Service Station (from 2 open boxes) on the way home from work.

My first impressions were that the base cards look good with a nice design based on the team colours. For my team the Panthers, there were a couple of players included who hadn't been part of previous releases over the past few years which was good to see.

For the one per pack parallels I have to say really like them. I think this may be the set I chase after. They are a base card with a refractor/atomic refractor type finish.

Out of my box I pulled 4 Retirements Cards (Lowe, Hornby, Burt & Civoniceva), 2 Chart Toppers (Benji Marshall, Anthony Minichiello) and the 1999 Melbourne Premiers card which ironically was the first ever Grand Final I attended.

The Retirements cards look amazing! Very well designed and the gold foil really stands out. The Chart Toppers and the Premiership cards have a nice shiny chrome look to them.

Out of the additional packs (from different boxes) I did very well, I pulled 2 x Scott Geddes and 1 Aaron Payne Retirements card along with a Feleti Mateo Chart Toppers.

Overall it was a fun break, I pulled some nice cards for my personal collection and some cards I can trade for other cards I need.

What I think works:
  • First and foremost – Availability! It is great for us collectors to be able to go into almost any newsagent, service station, retail outlet and find boxes, starter packs, albums etc. Previously you may have come across some random places that sell loose packs, but to have them available in lots of different places is great (possibly not for my wallet). It’s clear that ESP knows how to get its products into the market.
  • The Design. A majority of these cards are visually appealing and although I didn't pull one, the Young Guns cards are well designed with enough space to highlight the signatures on the card.
  • Having just seen a Legends Auto posted here on Ozcardtrader...WOW!
  • The Parallels. I kind of like them.
What I think could be improved:
  • Numbering. This was probably the biggest let down for me that the Young Guns aren't numbered. While its been confirmed that the print run on these cards is 260 cards per player, its the little things like this that can potentially make or break a release.
  • Ratios/Value. Overall the only change I would have like to have seen was the Young Guns be reduced to 1:72 and the premiership cards increased to 1:72 packs. This gives you either a box with a signature or a box with a Premiership card. Both of these would be serially numbered. I don't mind that the legends cards are extremely hard to pull that's what gives them their value, but to get people to keep coming back and buying packs for those harder to find cards I believe there is too much of a gap between a 1:36 and a 1:210 insert.
  • Insert set sizes. The one thing that may stop me buying more packs is the size of the insert sets. The Retirements cards look great but after busting a box and 9 extra packs, I am 75% of the way to a full set. For the Chart Toppers I'm a third of the way there. If the insert sets have 20-30 cards in them, there is a greater likelihood of me pulling something I don't have from any new packs I am buying, The premiership cards tend to appeal more to the collectors of the specific winning teams, so for me I would rather buy the one card I am after (Panthers) than try busting more packs for the cards I need.
  • Protection of the Case cards. Reports are that people are finding these damaged when they open their cases. A simple top loader would fix this.
  • Release information. The thing that a lot of people seem to be upset by is the lack of key information which was only released in the last day or so before the cards hit the market. A lot of people went into this release blind about what was going to be included and there have been some people second guessing their choice to buy cases. What would be great to see is the checklist/release info/ratios put out at least a few weeks prior to the release. This would help all collectors.
Overall I enjoyed busting the box and packs I purchased, I am happy with the cards I pulled (a Young Gun signature would have been nice) but the only thing stopping me from going back and buying another box is that I am already well on the way to completing most of the insert sets. Sure I'll buy some more packs here and there for the fun of it and to fill some of the gaps in my parallel set, but will I buy more boxes in the chase for an elusive signature card? As good as they look, I probably wouldn't.

Happy to hear your thoughts on this (and be kind)!

Cheers
Matt

The main thing that gets my hackles up with this release is that the Dealers and big case buyers are now going to be out of pocket. i personally chose not to by a case or even a box of this release until i knew what we were going to get because of how the Limited edition release all went to Shit, i for one do not have the $ to waste on a product from a company who cant be honest with its customer base....keeping everyone in the dark with this release was a bad move in my opinion, they led everyone to believe that the young guns were numbered for starters and i truly believe they didn't tell anyone because they knew that the big case buyers would not have wasted their money on a single case where they had no chance of redeeming the $$.
the sad thing about that is the dealers will now have too charge us collectors some ridiculous amount for a un-numbered sig card ................ and we cant blame them for it....

However i do agree that the Parallels are awesome, i really do love them and the Retirees cards are brilliant :) the Chart toppers for some reason remind me of the Telegraph foil cards though?????? i dont know why they just do.

I thought I would post a review on the new 2013 NRL Traders release from ESP which was released to the market today. This is ESP’s first mainstream release after the introductory Limited Edition set released late last year.

I purchased a box of 2013 NRL Traders through a local newsagency who said that they had sold all of their allocated sealed boxes, aside from 4 boxes used for loose packs. I also purchased another 9 packs from the local BP Service Station (from 2 open boxes) on the way home from work.

My first impressions were that the base cards look good with a nice design based on the team colours. For my team the Panthers, there were a couple of players included who hadn't been part of previous releases over the past few years which was good to see.

For the one per pack parallels I have to say really like them. I think this may be the set I chase after. They are a base card with a refractor/atomic refractor type finish.

Out of my box I pulled 4 Retirements Cards (Lowe, Hornby, Burt & Civoniceva), 2 Chart Toppers (Benji Marshall, Anthony Minichiello) and the 1999 Melbourne Premiers card which ironically was the first ever Grand Final I attended.

The Retirements cards look amazing! Very well designed and the gold foil really stands out. The Chart Toppers and the Premiership cards have a nice shiny chrome look to them.

Out of the additional packs (from different boxes) I did very well, I pulled 2 x Scott Geddes and 1 Aaron Payne Retirements card along with a Feleti Mateo Chart Toppers.

Overall it was a fun break, I pulled some nice cards for my personal collection and some cards I can trade for other cards I need.

What I think works:
  • First and foremost – Availability! It is great for us collectors to be able to go into almost any newsagent, service station, retail outlet and find boxes, starter packs, albums etc. Previously you may have come across some random places that sell loose packs, but to have them available in lots of different places is great (possibly not for my wallet). It’s clear that ESP knows how to get its products into the market.
  • The Design. A majority of these cards are visually appealing and although I didn't pull one, the Young Guns cards are well designed with enough space to highlight the signatures on the card.
  • Having just seen a Legends Auto posted here on Ozcardtrader...WOW!
  • The Parallels. I kind of like them.
What I think could be improved:

• Numbering. This was probably the biggest let down for me that the Young Guns aren't numbered. While its been confirmed that the print run on these cards is 260 cards per player, its the little things like this that can potentially make or break a release.
  • Ratios/Value. Overall the only change I would have like to have seen was the Young Guns be reduced to 1:72 and the premiership cards increased to 1:72 packs. This gives you either a box with a signature or a box with a Premiership card. Both of these would be serially numbered. I don't mind that the legends cards are extremely hard to pull that's what gives them their value, but to get people to keep coming back and buying packs for those harder to find cards I believe there is too much of a gap between a 1:36 and a 1:210 insert.
  • Insert set sizes. The one thing that may stop me buying more packs is the size of the insert sets. The Retirements cards look great but after busting a box and 9 extra packs, I am 75% of the way to a full set. For the Chart Toppers I'm a third of the way there. If the insert sets have 20-30 cards in them, there is a greater likelihood of me pulling something I don't have from any new packs I am buying, The premiership cards tend to appeal more to the collectors of the specific winning teams, so for me I would rather buy the one card I am after (Panthers) than try busting more packs for the cards I need.
  • Protection of the Case cards. Reports are that people are finding these damaged when they open their cases. A simple top loader would fix this.
  • Release information. The thing that a lot of people seem to be upset by is the lack of key information which was only released in the last day or so before the cards hit the market. A lot of people went into this release blind about what was going to be included and there have been some people second guessing their choice to buy cases. What would be great to see is the checklist/release info/ratios put out at least a few weeks prior to the release. This would help all collectors.
Overall I enjoyed busting the box and packs I purchased, I am happy with the cards I pulled (a Young Gun signature would have been nice) but the only thing stopping me from going back and buying another box is that I am already well on the way to completing most of the insert sets. Sure I'll buy some more packs here and there for the fun of it and to fill some of the gaps in my parallel set, but will I buy more boxes in the chase for an elusive signature card? As good as they look, I probably wouldn't.

Happy to hear your thoughts on this (and be kind)!

Cheers
Matt

its good to see positives and negatives mate :thumbsup:
Now seriously, can ESP hurry up and employ you!!

Great review. I think you have perfectly summarised the pros and cons of the release in an easy to read manner. Lets hope that ESP read the forums and work toward keeping all collectors happy for the high end release.

I had the same thoughts about the size of the insert sets - having only 10 cards in the most common insert set is just not enough.

Also can't see the point of having 10 or 11 common cards per pack and a 192 card common set. They should have increased the common set to 288 (18 cards per team).

Look closely for damaged cards thers plenty of them there a load of shit

Nice summary.

The main point I take away is "release information" and their unwillingness to engage us colletors with the key information we need in a timely manner, it borders on deceitful. Communication is their key to success and we aren't getting it.

I think the release as a set (forgetting ratios) is fantastic for a Series I. I differ a little bit from Matt and don't necessarily think they needed larger insert set as I am definately not a fan of the 64 Rookie card idea. However as for the ratios I agree with what Matt said and think maybe the original info we had when there was also a Heritage Jersey sub set and the Premiership cards were closer to 1/36 is a much better offering. (would give you the extra cards to chase as well)

Get Series II right (this year not in the next two) by communicating and listening to us collectors and I think it could be a good 5 years with ESP, certainly no worse than before.

Ross

They should have increased the common set to 288 (18 cards per team).

I actually agree with this. Sure- I'm a little biased- but having a set with 18 cards per team would really float my boat.

I can't comment on the quality of the current set yet but I'm sure my box is on the way ;)

As an FYI I shared this with Terry at ESP and he was pretty receptive to my feedback which is great to see.

Cheers
Matt

Busted a box today, only 1 Chart Toppers in the box (there are "starter pack" selling in a bunch of 4 @12.99??)

Chart Toppers and Premierships - disappointed, plain foil not glossy chrome (2012 Champ Showtime)
Retirements - BRILLIANT, the usual licensed autographed plaque/print in collector card size
Parallels - nice (to BKB collector it is PMG-like lol)
Base - Have to say plain but it is Series 1... Not ideal for IP auto.

An extra insert set at 1:4 or 1:6 would help - now it is "hit or miss", for Series 1 it should be fun busting with inserts loaded for kids?

Back
Top Bottom