Motor City Mailday! Pump up those Pistons!

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Just thought I'd scan in a small Pistons mailday while I have some time... I think they'll be the big improvers in the next couple of years with Stan Van in charge.

If anyone has any cheap Isiah Thomas let me know as I'll be helping out of my junior ballers with his PC.

Mark Aguirre GU

The man who replaced Adrian Dantley and gave the bad boys some additional bite at SF. After reading the Jordan Rules I remember one of my favourite anecdotes was Aguirre threatening to kill Pippen in the parking lot after the game and calling him all manner of names under the sun. A real interesting character....

Isiah Thomas / Bill Laimbeer GS Dual Auto

The real cheap shot artist who gave guys the second foul as they drove to the hoop against the Pistons (they only ever call the first foul, right) so Bill was probably the most hated player in the NBA. About as cheap and nasty as it got. Still, when you're drafted 69th overall you have to get by on a bit more than just talent alone...

Isiah Thomas Spectra auto and UB Black Scenes

The engine which drove the bad boy Pistons and one of the best PGs of all time. Kind of screwed over by Jordan and co when he was left off the original Dream Team but this former Finals MVP was capable of huge scoring outbursts - a real smiling assassin!

As for the cards I can't get enough of that Spectra Blue shimmer and the booklets are the absolute bomb!

Now for perhaps my favourite Piston of all time and about as far removed from the Bad Boy culture as one could possibly be...

Grant Hill Silhouette! My first and only Grant Hill auto, lovely looking card, nice big on card auto and showing off his skills with the ball and gazing down the court with that great court vision he had as a point forward. Classy act both on and off of the court...had to be in Pistons uni too, was never really the same player after injuries took their toll......

Well that's it for now folks, thanks for having a squiz and a bit of a read. Comments and likes always most appreciated!

Pump up the Pistons?
Go Hawks lol

Nice stuff! That Silo is sick!

And out of curiosity, since I forgot to ask; who's your 2nd round speculative pic this year?

Nice ones there Skip. The Silouhette auto is really nice

When is was looking for a Grant Hill auto it had to be on card and in Pistons uniform (and preferably not that awful horse's head design) so this ticked all the boxes.

Pump up the Pistons?
Go Hawks lol
Nice stuff! That Silo is sick!
And out of curiosity, since I forgot to ask; who's your 2nd round speculative pic this year?

Not a Pistons fan per se, but I do like some of their historic teams. Plus, you do know Grant Hill is part owner of the Hawks, right?

As for second round spec picks:

Deyonta Davis would be the obvious pick as he was expected to be a potential lottery pick and certain first rounder. He has a real rugged nose for the glass and picking up offensive rebounds. Behind Z-Bo and Gasol they don't have a lto other than Wright and Jarrell Martin (even Jamcyhal Green got minutes) so yeah, Davis has a real chance to not only stick on the roster but earn some decent minutes.

Diamond Stone is a real throwback low post scoring threat but an underwhelming rebounder and a bit of a defensive liability due to his er, 'rotundness'. Think of Eddy Curry and you'll know what sort of player he is. On a deep Clips roster though he faces an uphill battle.

Zhou Qi was once touted as a lottery pick too but his stock tumbled based on his slight frame, questions about his age and toughness. He does have a nice jump shot for a big guy (could be a stretch 4/5) and has elite shot blocking skills but mostly from weakside help situations. Expect him to stay in China for now. Think of a thinner Gorgui Dieng with less D and more range....

AJ Hammons is another big who can hit the glass and block shots as good as the guys taken in the first round. Scouts question his motivation, intensity and consistency but he does have all the requisite tools to deliver as a big in the NBA. The Mavs don't have much depth up front so he does have a chance to stick and be a part of the rotation....

The people's champions are no doubt Kay Felder and Tyler Ulis. The Cavs parted with a fair bit of cash to get Felder who they see as filling the backup PG slot. He's very undersized which makes him a liability on D but he's like a little bullet when the ball is in his hands. Sees the court well and no doubt a crowd favourite. Tyler Ulis killed the summer league competition and looked the goods but he is in Phoenix with the likes of Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe ina very guard heavy rotation....

That is some Motor City madness right there, sweet Hill!

The fall of an empire but let's hope both the city and the basketball franchise gets its act back together!

Epic stuff mate, I got a nice bad-boys PC going myself and I too am chasing a nice Isiah auto!

Gotta like the way the Bad Boys went about their basketball....they'll either beat you or they'll beat you! hah hah

Really nice cards man. Really like Isiah's auto, very neat.

It is pretty schmick, some nicer than others though!

Man, always love the way you go about your dedication to your collection.
That's one heck of a Grant Hill to be your first :hearts:

Alaways collecting, always moving stuff on......

I guess your first is always special - hah hah Which was your first Carrie Stroup?

Back
Top Bottom