Most Talented, Underachieving Player in NBA History?

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
Guys, let's spark a discussion.

From your personal following of the NBA, who do you believe to be the most talented but underachieving player you've seen?

I'm asking for personal opinions too, with explanations. Please don't say like Reggie Lewis or Len Bias, or someone like that (that you didn't actually see play, but just read about). And please say people who were actually incredibly talented, I mean talent that puts them as the best players in the game.

So I'll get the ball rolling. Mine is Tracy McGrady.

I was born in the 1990's, so by the time I was in my teens it was the early 2000's and guys like Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Kidd, Duncan and T-Mac were the best in the league.

In my opinion, Tracy McGrady was the most naturally talented basketball player I have ever seen in my life.

In his prime he could do it all. Offensively he's the most talented player I've ever seen. He could finish with authority like LeBron, weave his way to the basket and finish creatively like Wade, shoot fadeaways like Kobe and hit treys like Ray Ray. Anyway you want it, he could do it. In terms of play-making, ball-handling and passing, he was as good as LeBron is now (except a slightly worse passer).

Honestly, this guy was unbelievable. I think he was better than Kobe in his best years. My comparison is a silky smooth LeBron who is less powerful, but hands down a much more dominant shooter and scorer with better footwork.

Where did he get the talent? I think it was his combination of size, fluidity and athleticism. Unlike Kobe and MJ, he was 6'8" and had great length and size.

It's not like he didn't achieve anything. He won consecutive Scoring Titles and was a 7-Time All-Star and All-NBA Selection. Statistically he was a freak. In 02-03 he averaged 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG and 1.6 SPG. In 00-01 (when he won the Most Improved Player Award) he averaged 26.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.5 SPG and 1.5 BPG.

He filled the stat-sheet. Points, boards, assists, steals and blocks with his length too. Not to mention three pointers and decent shooting %'s.

Why underachieving though? I think he had more talent than Kobe, but far less drive, determination and mental strength. He didn't work as hard as Kobe and didn't therefore reap the results. He probably didn't take care of his body in the off-season well enough, which is why injuries have killed him.

In addition he never made it past the first round of the playoffs. That's not to say he didn't play well in the playoffs because his career playoff averages are 28.5 PPG, 6.9 RPG and 6.5 APG in 41.2 MPG. But regardless, he never made it past the first round.

There you have it, Tracy McGrady is MY most talented, underachieving player that I've ever seen.

Whose yours??

derrick coleman. enough said.

---------- Post added 08-04-2011 at 08:12 AM ----------

tmac also played with **** teammates throughout his career. that first round thing is tough as he wasn't a great defensive player. you can only score so many points in a game.

Guys, let's spark a discussion.

From your personal following of the NBA, who do you believe to be the most talented but underachieving player you've seen?

I'm asking for personal opinions too, with explanations. Please don't say like Reggie Lewis or Len Bias, or someone like that (that you didn't actually see play, but just read about). And please say people who were actually incredibly talented, I mean talent that puts them as the best players in the game.

So I'll get the ball rolling. Mine is Tracy McGrady.

I was born in the 1990's, so by the time I was in my teens it was the early 2000's and guys like Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Kidd, Duncan and T-Mac were the best in the league.

In my opinion, Tracy McGrady was the most naturally talented basketball player I have ever seen in my life.

In his prime he could do it all. Offensively he's the most talented player I've ever seen. He could finish with authority like LeBron, weave his way to the basket and finish creatively like Wade, shoot fadeaways like Kobe and hit treys like Ray Ray. Anyway you want it, he could do it. In terms of play-making, ball-handling and passing, he was as good as LeBron is now (except a slightly worse passer).

Honestly, this guy was unbelievable. I think he was better than Kobe in his best years. My comparison is a silky smooth LeBron who is less powerful, but hands down a much more dominant shooter and scorer with better footwork.

Where did he get the talent? I think it was his combination of size, fluidity and athleticism. Unlike Kobe and MJ, he was 6'8" and had great length and size.

It's not like he didn't achieve anything. He won consecutive Scoring Titles and was a 7-Time All-Star and All-NBA Selection. Statistically he was a freak. In 02-03 he averaged 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG and 1.6 SPG. In 00-01 (when he won the Most Improved Player Award) he averaged 26.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.5 SPG and 1.5 BPG.

He filled the stat-sheet. Points, boards, assists, steals and blocks with his length too. Not to mention three pointers and decent shooting %'s.

Why underachieving though? I think he had more talent than Kobe, but far less drive, determination and mental strength. He didn't work as hard as Kobe and didn't therefore reap the results. He probably didn't take care of his body in the off-season well enough, which is why injuries have killed him.

In addition he never made it past the first round of the playoffs. That's not to say he didn't play well in the playoffs because his career playoff averages are 28.5 PPG, 6.9 RPG and 6.5 APG in 41.2 MPG. But regardless, he never made it past the first round.

There you have it, Tracy McGrady is MY most talented, underachieving player that I've ever seen.

Whose yours??

Tmac is a good one, but I'm going to say Grant Hill. Yes, he is still a good player today.... but when he was in Detroit he was simply an INCREDIBLE player. He was a bit like Lebron, in which he could do a bit of everything - check his numbers, very Lebronesce - albeit a little lower scoring wise apart from his last season in Detroit. Then he signed with Orlando & the injuries killed him until he went to the Suns & finally was able to shake the injuries for good.

Tmac is a good one, but I'm going to say Grant Hill. Yes, he is still a good player today.... but when he was in Detroit he was simply an INCREDIBLE player. He was a bit like Lebron, in which he could do a bit of everything - check his numbers, very Lebronesce - albeit a little lower scoring wise apart from his last season in Detroit. Then he signed with Orlando & the injuries killed him until he went to the Suns & finally was able to shake the injuries for good.

Great pick I thought someone would bring up Grant though. I feel more sorry for him than McGrady though because injuries killed him, not lack of work ethic.

Given Hill's injuries I'd say he is over-achieving!!!!

If TMac is just lazing around bumming off all the big contracts then yeah he could be it.

If Lebron doesn't win any championships or do much else, he could be it though. Given he is a massively physically gifted talent but seems to have a low IQ, he could be looked on in 20 years as fail imo.

Wonder if that will spark any debate! :lol:

I gotta say Harold Miner. He had the skills, but dude... he just couldn't translate to the NBA game. What a waste of Talent....

This couldn't be said better. I've got the utmost respect for Grant because he is playing at such a high level at 39 years of age. You can't understand how good he is still playing if you don't watch any Suns games. He can still defend Kobe as good as anyone else, really good clean defense. He isn't the main gun in Phoenix, and his stats don't tell the complete tale but he is so important to their team. And he looks young when he's moving out there. Go to NBA videos and search "Grant Hill 24". It will give you an insight on G Hill, his work ethics and his comeback from injuries. A must watch for Hill fans.

If TMac is just lazing around bumming off all the big contracts then yeah he could be it.

If Lebron doesn't win any championships or do much else, he could be it though. Given he is a massively physically gifted talent but seems to have a low IQ, he could be looked on in 20 years as fail imo.

This is probably a bit of a stupid question but what do they mean when they sau basketball IQ?

derrick coleman. enough said.

---------- Post added 08-04-2011 at 08:12 AM ----------

tmac also played with **** teammates throughout his career. that first round thing is tough as he wasn't a great defensive player. you can only score so many points in a game.

What made Derrick Coleman so good? I didn't really see him play much at all. I've seen his numbers though, and read a quote by I think Charles Barkley who said "he could be the best PF ever" or something like that.

What made Derrick Coleman so good? I didn't really see him play much at all. I've seen his numbers though, and read a quote by I think Charles Barkley who said "he could be the best PF ever" or something like that.

DC had all the talent and just let himself get fat and not care. He still had a very good career though, same with someone like Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker.

My definition of underachieving would be someone who never really had those big numbers. A Jalen Rose type.

are you serious?

first to come to mind was hill...but as its been pointed out, injuries are what ruined him. nothing else.
penny hardaway popped up, but same issues.
then bobby hurley. was causing quite a stir out of college, even over here. had massive hoop dreams...tragic.
but i dont count those three, because for me, under-achieveing has to be self inflicted.
so my award goes to stephon marbury. i dont know what happened to this guy?! i guess greed had something to do with it, but for me he had the skills and stats (at least for a few seasons) to be a hall of famer.

^^^^ Agree'd, i was going to mention Livingston as he was a super talented player but injury got in the way.

But along the lines of Marbury what about Sprewell? Such a talent then his stupidity got in the way

first to come to mind was hill...but as its been pointed out, injuries are what ruined him. nothing else.
then bobby hurley. was causing quite a stir out of college, even over here. had massive hoop dreams...tragic.
but i dont count those three, because for me, under-achieveing has to be self inflicted.
so my award goes to stephon marbury. i dont know what happened to this guy?! i guess greed had something to do with it, but for me he had the skills and stats (at least for a few seasons) to be a hall of famer.

Great all on Stephon Marbury. I have a jersey of him from when he first went to the Knicks. I remember when he used to average 20+ PPG and 8+ APG, only him and Oscar Robertson boasted career averages of 20/8 in the entire history of the NBA. He was one of my fave's before his already existing mental issues became worse. Spree is a great one as well.

So we have McGrady, Marbury, Sprewell and Coleman. Those guys all legitimately had talent to be Hall of Famers. Who else guys??

I'm gonna chuck an odd name into the mix, but someone I thought underacheived was Danny Fortson. He was a beast comming over of cinncinati, and he put up some monster numbers rebounds wise at times with the Nuggets. He turned out to be a head case on and off the course and I think that de-railed him, but the way he could produce even as an undersized C at times was pretty amazing.

Injuries derailed Tmac as well. ;)

^^^^ Agree'd, i was going to mention Livingston as he was a super talented player but injury got in the way.

But along the lines of Marbury what about Sprewell? Such a talent then his stupidity got in the way

I dunno man.... Sprewell had quite a few good years under his belt.

What about Steve Francis? He was tha **** for awhile there & then suddenly dropped off.

---------- Post added 08-04-2011 at 11:42 PM ----------

I think here is what happened..... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom