UFC MMA Discussion (spoilers)

Thanks guys, two great reads. I know Jimmo put away Perosh in 7 seconds the other day and a 17 fight win streak is impressive but what quality were those fights? Mostly in Canada?
Can't wait to see these guys fight again. Hunt vs Struve, just hoping Hunt avoids those knees which will be up to his nipples before he starts!

Watched most of the Invicta FC 4 card today (missed the first two fights, slept in!)

Hyatt put up a hell of a fight and took Esparza into deep water, with the fight going the full distance. Unfortunately the judges, in the usual wrestling-centric nature, gave the fight to Esparza 50-45 across the board. This really doesn't do the fight justice, as Hyatt was beating her up in the stand up exchanges, which lead to Esparza quickly going for the takedown, and this set the foundation for the fight. But apart from a couple of RNC attempts from Esparza early in the fight, I don't feel she did much at all when they were on the ground except smother and control Hyatt. Despite this Hyatt still hooked up some great sub attempts, coming close with an armbar, and many times she managed to scramble back to her feet.

Do you reward the fighter with superior control or do you reward the fighter trying to end the fight?

I tend to prefer the latter, but unfortunately the wrestling-centric nature of American MMA prefers the former, hence the clean sweep.

Hyatt with better TD defence would win a rematch.

One thing they may revise in future shows is more stringent regulations regarding fighter attire. Leslie Smith came in wearing gym leggings (something Aoki wasn't allowed when he fought in the US) and a sports bra that looked too small both in design and size. Ultimately it resulted in one of her boobs popping out during a clinch towards the end of the first round in her fight against Raquel Pennington. :whistle:

I just remember the massive overreaction when Hallman's balls were exposed during his fight at UFC 133.

Sadly uStream screwed up tremendously, as many people trying to buy the iPPV today weren't having their payments processed. After about 4 fights they took down the paywall and made the event free, with refunds being issued to all who payed. Despite this the stream still dropped out several times, and at one point, the site logged me out completely.

Despite all this it was a great event, Bas Rutten on commentary is always great, complimented well by Julie Kedzie and King Mo. Frankly, I'm not too bothered if I don't get my $8 back.

Final Strikeforce event

:(:(:(

I liked Strikeforce, and its an org that never got a lot of credit. Just look at how Zuffa gutted its heavyweight division after buying it. For fight fans they did a lot right, I just hope history doesn't get rewritten and Coker/Strikeforce is given its due.

As for the event, I'm real happy Jacare steam rolled Herman, MMA "fans" like to put a lot of stock into guys who are in the UFC and severely discredit those that are out. Jacare showed he definitely belongs. I'd say the same for Mousasi, but he is simply on another level to Staring. I was also really happy to see Tarec get the win over Marquardt. I like Marquardt but Tarec's a highly underrated fighter entering his prime, and I was worried a loss would result in him being overlooked.

The day after the event they released a list of fighters who will be transferring to the UFC and honestly it was longer than I anticipated, including Ryan Couture, KJ Noons and Josh Thomson.

Bellator 85

Was going to put a bet on Rick Hawn, always have a soft spot for a Judoka, but I got the dates mixed up and missed out. Glad I did! :D Shame he got dominated though. Also a shame to see Babalu getting knocked out of the LHW tournament in the opening round.

UFC on FX 7

Apart from CB Dollaway and Rothwell, there's not much on this card for the gambling man. Honestly surprised, though happy all the same, that Belfort is even with Bisping. REALLY hope Belfort wins that one.

Also hope Khabib Nurmagomedov keeps his unbeaten streak going:

e5MwdNu.jpg

Well that was Rutten-esque :D

Good thing they're bringing Jacare, Kennedy and Rockhold over from Strikeforce. After this Weidman's surely has to be in line for a shot.

Can't stand Belfort! wanted Bisping to destroy him. Wonder how Belforts pee test will come up.

Goddamn what an event :thumbsup::thumbsdown::cry::eek::D:confused::mad::woot:

Despite being an Overeem fan I couldn't resist putting a fiver on Bigfoot with him paying $4. He did beat Fedor afterall.

So whoever won, I didn't lose. But it still sucked to see Overeem's hubris be his downfall; I don't care who you are fighting, never drop your hands. Bigfoot may not be as technically gifted but he can put a lot of heft behind those mitts.

Oh well, might not get Cain v Reem, but we may still end up with JDS v Reem.

I also put a fiver on Lil Nog, who was also paying $4, pinning my hopes to his boxing and reach.

A real snoozer but he pulled it off.

The topper was tying those two to a multi for another $1.

So my heart is broken, but my wallet is happy.

And finally the Main Event; what next for Edgar? Go back to LW? Stay at FW? Or continuing cutting to BW?

Jimmy Te Huna vs Ryan Jimmo this weekend..... fingers crossed he does the business. Jimmo has a great record, but not fought many big names....

Great comeback win by James Te Huna - was smashed by a great head kick - dunno how he survived that - he can't remember it! Credit to ref Leon Roberts who allowed the fight to carry on. Plenty would've stopped it. Then he went to town in the 2nd round and also won the 3rd. Really hope this gets him a top 10 fighter now, not another fringe guy....

Awesome ring entrance too!!!

Awesome display of heart by Te Huna. My favourite type of fight to watch, watching a guy fight through severe adversity and comeback and win. Im sure he was unconcious at one stage and got woken up by another hit lol. Craziness. He will definately get a top 10 fighter after that.

UFC is 16 fighters lighter now in a big day of cuts:

Wagner Prado
Mike Russow
Jacob Volkmann
Vladimir Matyushenko
Che Mills
Jay Hieron
Terry Etim
Paul Sass
Jorge Santiago (3rd time now?)
Mike Stumpf
Simeon Thoresen
C.J. Keith
Motonobu Tezuka
Josh Grispi
Ulysses Gomez

but the biggest cut of all... Jon Fitch.

WAAAAND!

Won $20 for the day.

Had Gomi not have been robbed would've got the Gomi/Hunt/Silva treble and be $50 up for the day :mad:

Struve tweeted that his jaw was broken in the fight (as well has having a tooth lodged in his cheek)

Back
Top Bottom