UFC MMA Discussion (spoilers)

Lazlow

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Mat
eBay User
blackmetalfan666
Thought I'd start as general MMA discussion thread, seeing as it didn't look like we had one.

Firstly, holy hell Cung Le's KO of Franklin!

Haven't see a faceplant that hard since Fedor punched Arlovski out of the sky. Considered putting some money on Cung given what he was paying, but I honestly thought Rich would just take him down and wear him out.

Luckily I did put a small wager on Gomi and he came through, just. :D

Perosh is off the Gold Coast card with a disgusting toe injury (not for the squeemish). He got it caught between mats attempting a takedown during training.

This weekend is UFC 154, with GSP's return in a title unification bout against Condit. GSP is an obvious heavy favourite but there's some value in Condit so I put a small wager on him. I kinda feel bad for Condit because half the talk in the lead up to this event has been of a proposed super fight between GSP and Anderson Silva; feels like everyone is already looking passed condit. I think if Condit pressures GSP and cuts off his movement, he stands a good chance on his feet. Unlike Silva, GSP looks fallible.

Also; Ronda Rousey was announced last week as the first female fighter signed to the UFC. Miesha Tate also tweeted about being signed, however nothing official has been announced, so its hard to tell if she let slip something they were going to announce later, or if it was just a bit of a Sonnenism to talk her way into a deal.

There's a lot of talk of trying to book a super fight between Rousey and Cyborg, but I hope to god it never happens. Much rather fighters like Cyborg and Coenen are used to build the women's 145lb division, and Rousey, Tate, Kaufman, McMann are kept for 135lbs.

In an ideal world, they'd book Rousey v McMann right now. Both undefeated, both Olympic medalists, both grapplers, both 135lbs. It makes too much sense, but then again, the UFC hasn't been making a lot of sense lately.

Call me crazy, but I think condit wins Tommorrow easily. I've always thought he would be the man to de throne gsp. Should be a super fight either way, I can't wait for it. And hopefully with a condit win we can stop this gsp v Anderson silva talk. I would much rather see silva v jones.

hahah, ah well. St Pierre proves yet again he is just too good. Thought Condit gave it a red hot crack though. Great fight!

Call me crazy, but I think condit wins Tommorrow easily. I've always thought he would be the man to de throne gsp. Should be a super fight either way, I can't wait for it. And hopefully with a condit win we can stop this gsp v Anderson silva talk. I would much rather see silva v jones.

Silva/GSP has never made sense to me. Silva/Jones is something I hope goes ahead.

Was a great PPV today, glad to see Condit make a contest out of it. Was hoping for him to get the W somehow, however GSP had all the answers.

Hendricks getting the KO so easily over Kampmann was a huge surprise to me. Dos Anjos looked phenomenal in his fight also.

Also;

diazisaretard.png

:lol:

I too lost money on Kampmann. Thought he was good value as the underdog, as he has an ability to hang through adversity and find a way to win, but thats pretty hard to do when your lights are out. Man Hendricks has some power. Awesome pic of GSP, he was certainly in a fight. I knew Condit wouldnt be a deer in the headlights and be unable to pull the trigger like most of GSPs past opponents, which is why I was confident he could pull it off. Not quite, but a thoroughly entertaining fight.

Next card is the Fox card. My heart says Diaz, BJ and obviously Shogun, But my head says the total opposite, Benson, Rory and Gus. Im really looking forward to Swick v Brown too. That should be an absolute barn burner. Love both of those guys. Someone could loose an eye in that fight.

Earlier this month Bec Hyatt became the first Australian to sign with Invicta, a big deal in itself, but to get picked up by mainstream media is great as well.

So it appears Rousey is signed to an 8 fight deal :eek:, hell of a gamble.

White sang his usual song, claiming a laundry list of fighters - including McMann and Tate - turned down a match with Rousey until they struck a deal with Carmouche. Came as news to both McMann and Tate who both stated they were never offered the fight.

Tate said they while in Brazil she was offered a fight in February, however she declined stating she wished to continue her sabbatical. This was before Rousey was signed to the UFC, and no opponent was mentioned when the offer was made.

When someone quizzed Dana on twitter about Miesha saying her refusal to fight Rousey is a "straight up lie" he replied:

he just got smashed by Ronda we didn't ask her to fight

there are at least 3 tough fights for Ronda before Tate would fight her again

to which Tate replied

Cool, next time don't specifically call me out along w Mcmann saying I didn't want 2 take the fight

Never would turn down a chance to be in the UFC, I would fight Brock Lesnar if they said it would be in the UFC

:D

Would be interested to know if Carmouche is on a multi-fight deal.

Can't say I was too fussed about Rousey being gifted the UFC title rather than having the fight against Carmouche for a vacant title. But I guess in essence that's what they did with the WEC guys.

Also can't say I'm too fussed with Diaz v GSP, it's promotional gold, but I just can't see it being a great fight, GSP will smother him. And you have to feel for Hendricks, the guy has done all the right things competitively to earn his shot, and he gets passed over. Giving guys like Diaz and Sonnen undeserving title fights set a dangerous precedent; who cares what you can do in the octagon if you can pick a fight on twitter.

Busy weekend coming up with 2 TUF finales back-to-back.

Then onwards to UFC 155

And also the GLORY/DREAM/One FC NYE Show with an excellent Kickboxing tournament including Anderson Silva!

And Vale Tudo Japan 2012 is the same day!

Man I love this time of year.

Was going to bet on George for the sub, but I my work Christmas party and forgot. Glad I did :D

He needs to drill nothing but boxing for the next 6-8 months. Pearson is poor striker but he still schooled George. George is too tough for his own good, but if he can't get the fight to the ground his goose is inevitably cooked.

Pearson is now spinning some story about George punching his own boxing coach during the filming of TUF and the coach ended up KO'ing George. All off camera of course.

Good to see some classic Lombard :thumbsup:

Gotta love a Japanese NYE event

4 fights in;
- Kitaoka got ground out by Brooks while going for a leg lock
- Muxlow was gallant but a fighter out of Townsville just isn't on the same level as the former Strikeforce champ in Coenen
- Baroni and Sakurai slogged it out in a very tiresome and sweaty affair, with Sakurai getting the nod
- Manhoef hit Kang flush with a picture perfect knee to the liver that would've had Bas Rutten grinning from ear to ear, crumpling Kang and ending the fight quicker than it took them to walk out
- Bibiano is just too good on the ground for Maeda, putting him to sleep with a triangle after Maeda tried to scramble him off his back.

ib2Bq40JKHFMJt.gif

and after a brief intermission

SAKURABA!

EDIT:

Holy hell, Aoki landed an overhand right in the same spot twice, that made McKee tap out. :whistle:

iiMjgIGdaquDY.gif

Time for Alvarez v Aoki III :D

EDIT2 (now with gifs i pinched from bloody elbow):

Well that's a wrap, what an awesome, awesome event.

MMA card ended with Karakhanyan getting a silly split decision win over Takaya (should've been unanimous but hey, Japan!), and then I marked out for 3 rounds a Kawajiri dominated Omigawa on the ground, and nearly locked in an arm triangle twice.

iBotn4KMc17jE.gif

This was just a beautiful reversal

ib09Fe6x7nNgY8.gif

It closed with a feature kickboxing fight between Jerome Le Banner and Koichi, which ended abruptly in the 3rd after Le Banner landed a thunderous right that left Koichi on the deck. The old man still has it. :D

Had mixed feelings about the GLORY 4 Grand Slam Tournament. Much prefer K-1's 3 x 3 minute rounds, rather than GLORY's 2 minute rounds where they also stopped a fight if one fighter was leading on the scorecards after 2 rounds. 2 knockdowns in a round also ended the fight, whereas I think K-1 had 3.

But then again, it was a 16 man tournament which is 4 fights to win the whole thing, and in the end there was still plenty of action. My highlight would be Ghita's kick to Saddik's abdomen which ended the fight before it even got going.

Sadly, GLORY kicks off where K-1 started to lose audience interest; again Semmy Schilt won the whole damn thing, his 6th tournament win. He's such an awkward unglamorous fighter to watch, but he has tremendous effortless power. He KO'ed Ghita in the final with a left high roundhouse that Ghita had even partially blocked.

At least this Schilt came out more aggressive, rather than the previous jabbing/teep kicking point fighter he used to be.

I'm new to this UFC caper, been watching it for about a year and trying to learn about the fighters involved. Soft spot of course for Kiwi's James Te Huna and Mark Hunt, especially since I found out Te Huna went to my high school!
Obviously both guys have great stand up power and not as strong ont he ground, but where is the ceiling for these two? Te Huna is obviously on the up and has Ryan Jimmo coming up, Hunt a lot older but is ranked higher in a weaker division...

I'm presuming there's a lot of expertise here -would like your opinions!

Dunno about expertise where I'm concerned. Maybe obsessive fandom... :)
You said it yourself, Hunt is a bit older, but the Heavyweights are probably the shallowest division out of all of them. If he gets past Stefan Struve it should get interesting; I'd love to see a match between him and Bigfoot Silva, or a rematch with Overeem (they fought in Dream in 2008).
Te Huna's on a 3 fight win streak, and has won 4 out of 5 in the UFC. If he wins his match in February we'll hopefully get to see him up against some highly-rated opposition. I couldn't say where he might end up until then.

Love Mark Hunt, dude's been in some of the greatest fights, especially:

That said at 38 he's definitely on the back end of his career, the air of invincibility around him lost some of its shine when Manhoef (a middleweight) KO'ed him at Dynamite '08. That said Manhoef does throw hands like he's trying to destroy the world.

TBH Hunt has done better than I thought he would in the UFC. A lot of guys from Pride came over and didn't do so well with different rules, rounds, ring and stiffer competition. But after his initial stumble, Hunt did the hard work, he's got in better shape, and he's definitely improved his grappling. That said the match up with Struve is crazy - 5'10" v 7' - Struve not only has a tremendous reach advantage, but he's also well accomplished on the ground, going 2:1 for subs v ko wins. . If Hunt gets the win, it'll be his ticket to the top 5 for sure. Personally I'd love to see him take on JDS, stylistically and physically its a good match up.

Te-Huna is a promising talent, but I'm not sold yet that he can hang with the top guys. I love his aggression and he's done well to pick off gate keepers and journeymen. The Jimmo fight is crucial, he's on a 17 fight win streak since losing his debut, but his biggest recent win would be a slim decision win (due to MFC using a half point system) over Sokoudjou. Te-Huna needs to send Jimmo packing, and then I'd like to see them match him against Bader or Davis to see where he fits at LHW.

That said, Te-Huna looks like he could easily get down to Middleweight if things don't work out at Light Heavyweight.

Also; Invicta FC 4 is this weekend, Hyatt now elevated to the main event Strawweight title fight against Esparza, after Gadelha broke her nose in training and had to pull out. They apparently offered the fight to Calderwood, Hyatt's original opponent, but she turned it down. Then had a bit of a whinge online when Bec took the fight.

Main card is available on their website for $7.95, absolute bargain for a stacked card.

Back
Top Bottom