Metal, Hardcore, Punk .. if it rocks drop it here !!!

Wow!!! I’m not sure how I’ve never seen this thread, and I don’t care! Love metal alright. Hopefully I’m not breaking any rules, but I’m putting this up. Moving to the UK has few benefits, but seeing them play this live is definitely one of them!
3rd time seeing Metallica....no where near enough.

View: https://youtu.be/JXTzr358o_0

Wow!!! I’m not sure how I’ve never seen this thread, and I don’t care! Love metal alright. Hopefully I’m not breaking any rules, but I’m putting this up. Moving to the UK has few benefits, but seeing them play this live is definitely one of them!
3rd time seeing Metallica....no where near enough.

View: https://youtu.be/JXTzr358o_0
Love it !!! and post away mate.

Bunch of stuff that I've been listening to for the last year or so, that I will tell anybody and everybody about.

White Ward are a post-black metal band from Ukraine, and False Light is their 3rd full length. Take the caustic hailstorm of black metal, mix with elements of shoegaze and sprinkle in a healthy amount of dark jazz and you have White Ward. One of those engaging albums that I will consistently listen from start to finish, and was my album of the year last year.

Gaerea another modern take on black metal this time from Portugal, Mirage is also their 3rd full length album, and was my runner up last year. The absolute epitome of catharsis, a maelstrom of tension and aggression, one you have to turn up to 11.

Australia's angriest vegans, I'd link to the official video but needless to say, its as grisly and grotesque as their sound. Might not share their views, but I do enjoy the absolutely mental vocals, anthemic sound and delightfully dark wordplay.

Never been the biggest fan of deathcore, what I heard often felt like worst of death and metalcore, overproduced and immature. But To The Grave opened my eyes, and Mental Cruelty has been a new addition to my playlist of late. Still not sold on the slam elements mid-song, I don't feel like it adds anything, but I'm a sucker for a melodic hook, and the one that runs down the spine of this song is a good one.

Ok last one and bit of a palette cleanser. Been listening to these guys for a few years now, and they were set to make their big break releasing their fifth album (third for Napalm Records) Abyss, before setting off on a big European tour including Wacken. And then COVID put and end to all that. The obvious hook here is Brittney Slayes big belter vocals, which absolutely hold up live. One of those bands that as a fan I feel like they should be bigger, this is my favourite of their fourth album Apex.

EDIT

Ok one more

Russian Lovecraftian black metallers Ultar.

Last edited:
After a year wall to wall with great albums, 2023 felt like a barren wasteland, but there were two that I've bounced between that I feel worth mentioning.

Sacred Outcry are a Greek power metal band now featuring the best singer in metal, Daniel Heiman. While not quite at the level of those two Lost Horizon albums (Heiman's previous claim to fame) Towers of Gold is still very very good.

Panopticon are at the forefront of "Cascadian" black metal (a scene kicked off by Wolves in the Throne Room), The Rime of Memory is likely my album of the year, though not with as much conviction as I had last year. Basically take progressive black metal and filter it through the folk music of the American north west. Lengthy and often dense, as cliched as it is, this is the kind of music that takes you on a journey.

Back
Top Bottom