Malvern Town Hall - March 21 -

Malvern Flyer 2021 final.png

Any update on this?? Talk it up!! Let every know what to expect. What stall holders are going to be there?? What sport do they cover?? There hasn’t been something like this for over a year in Melbourne. We’ve been starved. Get excited and enthusiastic who ever is arranging this. Sell your product on a free forum.

Last edited:
Very ordinary from a basketball perspective.

Almost nothing here... better off going down to EJ's

Not a great deal there, but it’s a start of a return to normality and great to see some of the old faces and friends from these great collector community

In majority AFL cards, my little guy was hoping for a heap of Star Wars so came out empty handed

Though as noted hoping this is the start of these fairs kicking back off

Was a decent show

Love that folks always host them in my area hahaha just a quick train trip away. But yeah some sweet AFL and NRL stuff

Below average show, I know it’s easy to criticise, but you know your struggling when people turn up, go home and return with a trestle table, pay and set to have at least 1 table with NBA stuff.

Given the criticism above, what was everyone expecting exactly for this to be a success or something you wanted?

Thanks for the feedback above. Couple of points, we had a lock down in February and as of early March we still weren't 100% sure we could go ahead. Given that I organised AFL people I knew first and didn't push the NBA stuff too hard, with the intention of trying to get a much bigger representation next time. As for Robert's comment, these people knew about the fair and none of them contacted me about getting a table. There was also one guy who just started trading off a table, no contact, no asking, no paying. I'm all for getting the NBA collectors on board but it needs to be done the right way. It was only $60 a table so not a big investment. If you know NBA traders give them my details and we'll book them in for the next one.

Hi Shane.

I can appreciate the difficulty in getting one of these up and running. The problem with your contacts is that they all sell exactly the same stuff.

Also, it probably would have been better if you let people know that the cost of a table was only $30 - $60. Being up front about this might have attracted a few more to take up a table or even start to think about and plan for what they might sell at a future show.

But yeah, far too much repetition between sellers.

In addition to my previous comments, ideally I think you need to have the main 3 collectors covered (AFL/NRL, Basketball and Pokemon).
For each of those three, there needs to be a stall selling sealed boxes/ packs and another stall featuring a wide collection of singles at a minimum (not just a handful).
Then you can have whatever else on top of that.
I would also suggest to up the entry fee to $10 or so and use that extra funds to go towards an hourly door prize with each door prize being different. The door prize can also be sponsored by one of your vendors. In this case, the event could do with an MC.
Also, maybe you could think about featuring podcasters since that is growing in popularity these days.
I would also suggest a dedicated room with adequate seating and tables where collectors can go and buy/ sell or trade together which is the absolute foundation of this hobby!
Like i said, i appreciate the difficulties with Covid and so forth. I just wanted to put forward some ideas. There would also be quite a bit more planning involved with what i suggested and some table holders would ideally need 6 months or so to adequately prepare as a guess.
But what you can't have or what you need to try to avoid as much as possible is people walking in and out after about 10-15mins which i saw happen quite a lot! These people may not bother attending future shows as a result.

Also, some "live on stage" group breaks would be cool! Another way to get people to hang around!

Back
Top Bottom