Low tier, no fear - my humble KG pickups

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
With the NBA's top 75 at 75 it dawned on me that I basically had no KG in my collection, so decided to grab some low end offerings just to see what some cards looked like in hand and to at least be able to say I had something of each of the top 75.

I can't believe you took time to put these cards in a mailday section....

00-01 Topps No Limit -
The Wolves blue jersey against this backdrop made it look like KG was playing in the Mariana Trench with SpongeBob. Not sure why I picked it up, but why not I suppose...

SCN_2125.jpg

00-01 Fleer Tradition - Courting History - an insert for players looking to put themselves into the history books. Nice up close colour action shot against a faded sepia backdrop. Has a comparison to the Big O on the back as both being well rounded players, so had to pick it up.

SCN_2128.jpg

99-00 Skybox Premium Majestic - Was keen to have a look at the matte finish, and it;s just not my cup of tea , nice enough design and love the fonts used but nothing really pops - really flat and muted, but I shouldn’t be so surprised for a matte card.

SCN_2126.jpg

99-00 Topps Stadium Club Chrome True Colors - One word for these cards - vivid! In hand these colours are about as lucid as it gets - true colors indeed! the truest blue and green you'll ever see....

SCN_2130.jpg

00-01 Upper Deck Hardcourt Court Forces - Some real serious bling to these cards and nicely put together - kind of like Prizm before there was prizm but with the nicer holofoil finish. Surprised they’re so cheap tbh.

SCN_2122.jpg

00-01 Upper Deck Encore - Upper Realm - Nice glean and finish to these cards which changes from a yellowish green to a reddy brown, but really have to get it in the right light. but on the whole is a little dark. Great action shot though - throw it down big fella!

SCN_2124.jpg

99-00 Upper Deck Retro NBA Fast Forward - Love this all chrome / foil type finish and the intricacies with the card design really stand out under lights.

SCN_0412.jpg

00-01 Upper Deck Game Jersey Edition - Touch the Sky - Nice subtle shimmer through the middle and the pic matches the name of the insert with LG literally doing his bst to touch the sky - great pic! Some really nice unique celtic / rune type font at the top of the card.

SCN_2131.jpg

96-97 Fleer Franchise Future - Second year KG with the embossed player image and confetti foil background make for the birthday cake of all basketball cards. Conceptually great, execution lacked a bit..

SCN_2129.jpg

99-00 Upper Deck Gold Reserve Gold Strike - A nice bit of kit, the gold foil really is a nice touch - looks like a much more higher end product.

SCN_0411.jpg

98-99 Upper Deck Encore - Driving Forces - Not sure why, but really drawn to the bluish purpley shimmer on this card and ballzy Upper Deck logo prominently featured on the front of it seems to work well too. Has that nice futuristic matrix hexagonal hologram thing going for it. In a bunch of cards my eye tends to be drawn to this for some reason.....

SCN_2121.jpg

00-01 Upper Deck Encore Vertical Forces - Subtle shimmer, great colour scheme and design which works really well with the T-Wolves jersey.

SCN_2127.jpg

02-03 Topps Verticality - Love everything about this insert, the finish, the font, the awesome pics. Set chase mode - enabled!

SCN_0413.jpg

00-01 Upper Deck Hardcourt Thriller Instinct - This card did a lot of things right - the debossed hardcourt parquetry background, holofoi court markings and nice full action shot front and centre, Quite underappreciated imo.

SCN_2120.jpg

99-00 Fleer Tradition - Masters of the Hardwood - Nice player embossed action shot with the player silhouette in the background which adds yet another level of depth. A lot of effort went into these so always surprised they don't get more hobby love.

1650104199716.png

00-01 Fleer Showcase HIStory - really well executed concept with the biography / history angle and the small die cutting of the three book spines to emphasise that bookshelf or library feel. really hard to find many of these in good nick.

1650104168295.png

00-01 Upper Deck Slam - Air Supremacy - Sick, sick, sick acetate inserts which again, might be up for set chase consideration.

SCN_2134.jpg

97-98 Skybox Z-Force - Super Boss - Not just a boss, but a super boss, which tends to sum up KG's attitude both on and off the court. Nice embossed player image and finish. Golden parquetry ftw!

1650104134927.png

97-98 Topps Stadium Club Triumverate Luminous - Die cutting insanity - and yes, those lightning bolts are die cut out of the card too. Highlighting on the card for the electric blue lightning and orange on the logo really, stand out in a good way and it makes it a top shelf and highly desired card. Obviously extremely condition sensitive but definitely one worth getting hold of in hand if you can. The attention to detail on these cards is some next level cardistry...

SCN_2135.jpg

The Jersey Cards

09-10 SP Game Used Combo Materials /499 with DIrk Nowitzki
- Great card with two of all time great PFs who came to define an era. Both champions in their own right but like chalk n cheese in many others.

SCN_1261.jpg

09-10 SP Game Used Combo Materials /499 with Ray Allen - My favourite KG card with Ray Ray as they captured that title for the Cs in 2008 and brought high level basketball back to Beantown and the start of the BIg 3 era. Let's not mention the whole Ray Ray Miami Heat drama....

SCN_1260.jpg

The Scribble - errr, no autos yet, a fella has to know when to stay in his lane.

...and that in its entirety is my very low tier KG collection, 95% of which has been picked up very, very recently.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look and a read, make sure to share your maildays folks!

Skip

SCN_2132.jpg

SCN_2133.jpg

SCN_2123.jpg

Now we’re talking!

The Courting History reminded me of the Court Kings Blank Slates. The Majestic looks better in that scan than it does in hand, you’re right, I was so disappointed when I got one of those!

The True Colors refractors are amazing - pretty cheap too if you’re looking to get one of those. I don’t remember the Triumvirate being diecut, maybe I’ve always passed on getting one because they didn’t look in great condition - so many corners that can be dinged up!

Some great looking cards there mate, nice additions!

Love those old school insert sets, That Super Boss is a ripper, they look great in hand.
Awesome design on the No Limit from Tops.

Yeah, hard ot beleive that No Limit has no speiclal effects going on, just some good old artistic talent going on with the background.. Super Bosses look great up close, the detailed background really makes things pop.

@GarnettFan4Life better watch out some one is coming for his title!!!

Some real classy pick ups there and as always some great commentary on all the cards

Seing all of KGF4L's pick ups made me realise how little i have of his so decided to pick up some early 00s cards, which ialso don't have a lot of - kill two biirds with one stone. It's also how I decide to add to my insane set of set chases....

Can't comment much yet, I'm still reading!
Now we’re talking!

The Courting History reminded me of the Court Kings Blank Slates. The Majestic looks better in that scan than it does in hand, you’re right, I was so disappointed when I got one of those!

The True Colors refractors are amazing - pretty cheap too if you’re looking to get one of those. I don’t remember the Triumvirate being diecut, maybe I’ve always passed on getting one because they didn’t look in great condition - so many corners that can be dinged up!

Some great looking cards there mate, nice additions!

Based on the time stamps I hope it didnt take you 3 hours to get through this mailday thread! I just like to write because some of these cards really need to be described as the scans themselves only do a so-so job.

Majestic was one of the biggest let-downs of all time (the BLOAT) and for those matte looking cards I have to say Court Kings does do it better.

I can only imagine what the True Colors refractors look like - my eyeballs have finally recovered from the base version! Triumverates look great - the Rolls Royce are the Triumverate Luminescent versions which are basically very hard to get refractors and one I've never seen in the wild.

Thanks for the inspiration for this mailday mate!

They dont design cards like they used to! Great pick ups!
I don't think Panini has come up with many original concepts at all during their exclusive licencsing period, and the ones they have, they've spammed the life out of them!

Can't be that hard surely, I see custom cards all over the place that look the business and Tyson Beck does a better job as a one man band!

Love the explanations bro 👏👏

Cheers Dave - a lot of my pick ups are to just see what cards are like in hand, some lower tier product and sets can really surprise you, espeically from back in the day....

nice kg's!!! masters of the hardwood looks much better than its given credit for. i put it in the cards that if they were numbered to 150 or less they'd be thousand dollar cards. im a big fan of them.

nice kg's!!! masters of the hardwood looks much better than its given credit for. i put it in the cards that if they were numbered to 150 or less they'd be thousand dollar cards. im a big fan of them.

There are plenty of ugly big $SS cards floating around imo, just collect what you like the look of, and for me the 90s and early 2000s win that aesthetics battle more often than not. Binder full of some of these completed insert sets woudl definitely look the business!

There are plenty of ugly big $SS cards floating around imo, just collect what you like the look of, and for me the 90s and early 2000s win that aesthetics battle more often than not. Binder full of some of these completed insert sets woudl definitely look the business!
the 90's Basketball Card Collectors fb group is full of that stuff. I get so envious of all the stuff in there. Not big stuff...just awesome sets from the 90's

the 90's Basketball Card Collectors fb group is full of that stuff. I get so envious of all the stuff in there. Not big stuff...just awesome sets from the 90's

Wasn't aware of that FB group - might have to check it out. Cheers for the heads up.

be careful though, there's some w@nker in there trying to take everyone's pippens! good looking fella though
Like these? hah hah hah, even I have some godo stuff to share from time to time! Although I'm sure you already have at least three of those... which you cracked out of pSA10 slabs.
SCN_0909.jpg

Back
Top Bottom