Low numbered limited release cards

Jiska125

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Thomas
eBay User
Jiska125
Why do low numbered cards attract such high resale value?

In my mind, you either have the card or you don't. For example in a limited release of 200, if I have card 001 or card 200 the number is irrelevant - I have the card and there are many people that want one and don't. Why doesn't card rarity alone dictate value?

I see some posts from time to time highlighting the point that the limited release number of a specific card matches the players guernsey number. An inevitability of one card in that lot, but that too doesn't make in my mind the value of that one card to be instantly high.

Be happy to hear some views.

Cheers

Demand. Some collectors chase low numbers and team collector like the idea of jumper numbers. Just makes sense these sell for more. Then there's some that don't care as long as they have that card in their collection, and that's fine too. Numbers under 10 and jumper numbers will always pull more money, that's just collecting.

Why do low numbered cards attract such high resale value?

In my mind, you either have the card or you don't. For example in a limited release of 200, if I have card 001 or card 200 the number is irrelevant - I have the card and there are many people that want one and don't. Why doesn't card rarity alone dictate value?

I see some posts from time to time highlighting the point that the limited release number of a specific card matches the players guernsey number. An inevitability of one card in that lot, but that too doesn't make in my mind the value of that one card to be instantly high.

Be happy to hear some views.

Cheers

See what you're saying but here's the deal -- online shopping (ie eBay and website like this one) has clearly changed the dynamics of card collecting. For instance, back in the 70s, 80s and even later 90s and earlier 2ks, the name of the game was to try to acquire the entire base set of the latest release and be the king-of-the-kids -- back in those days face ii face swap buddies were essential to stand any realistic chance of completing your desired set - that unless you earned enough money to continue to bust open pack after pack but then you'd be stuck with so many duplicates that procedure would be pointless. Then by the later 1990s that is when insets came into necessity meaning even if you'd pull open a pack full of unwanted duplicated cards, at least you'd have a chance of pulling an inset which is what tempted collectors to keep buying new card packets.

But when insets first came into place, collectors would not even think about acquiring a master-set as it would simply be too hard. But, when CArdzone opened up in 1994 yet alone also when eBay came into use in 1999 or better use by the later 2000s, that's when the reality came into possibility of acquiring an entire master set rather than just the common base as the trend from the pre-21St century. Now this is when the trend would have been most predominant for you to try to acquire the entire master set of the latest card release of its kind, and in this case, a copy of a numbered card was a copy of that numbered card without making a fuss whether it be 001 or 199/200 and so on. This is also when just acquiring a common base was totally meaningless as it is today.

Bottom line is, due to modern technology and tools like this website, acquiring every numbered and rare card (often irrespectivce of the rarity) there is has simply become too easy and under-challenging so that is why the trend of the following numbered card collectors have come into place to maintain the 'challenging-effect' of card collecting:
-Low numbered card collectors
-Guernsey numbered card collectors
-Matching numbered card collectors

sort of see your point but don't really agree. If there is 200 cards and you don't care about numbers then yes that card is /200 so you have 200 options. If you do care about numbers then there is what maybe Guernsey, <10 and possibly 200. So technically the card us worth 1/12 to you and all other cards are 1/188. So clearly considering supply and demand your going to pay more as much harder to find.

Obviously depends on wether you care about number!!

Real life example can be seen in fashion. two of the exact same t.shirts but in different sizes or colours can often vary in price. There may be a less popular colour and it is cleared out as wont sell and there may be a popular colour that everyone wants and the price increases. All about supply and demand and lets be honest if you had the choice would you want number 115/200 for ablett or 009/200?

BUUUUUUUT, I have been thinking to myself In regards to card values why are the values of Guernsey numbers dependant on numbering. Shouldn't matter if its numbered to 10 or 1000 as technically there is only one Guernsey number of both hahah so technically both 1/1. I know its not that simple but one of the reasons I love picking up Guernsey 460s and team leaders!!

I find if i collect all the subsets including signatures and redemption's without be worried about the serial numbers i would finish the set quite easily and perhaps loose a bit of passion as i'd have to wait for the next series release. Chasing low numbers for me keeps me hunting and extends my series chase.

Opening a pack with a low numbered insert keeps me busting.

Well feel feel free to disagree with my thoughts upon this regard however that is simply how I see it anyway. All comes down to what you really want to collect at the end of the day!

Back
Top Bottom