Low Balling

aussie26

CBF
Real Name
Adam
eBay User
ads0456
I couldn't find any similar threads so if there is one please close this thread. Ive been on this site for 5 1/2 to 6 years and have enjoyed my time on this site the admins have made the site safe and enjoyable, but i've found lately that the amount of low balling has really put me off selling cards on this site. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but ive found personally that it has become common place to be low balled or offered peanuts MOST of the time. Now if your selling a card for above or even at the higher end of ebay i can understand asking for a card cheaper as you shouldn't expect to get ebay prices on any forum but when your selling most cards at the lower end of ebay prices or below that should be a fair price. Ive always tried to be fair when selling cards at a decent price and i always list a price and dont ask for offers, I guess i created the thread to get opinions on weather my experiences are the new norm or have i had a crappy run being low balled on what seem to be fairly priced cards.

the way of the forums..
> want eBay prices
> give them eBay prices
> claims that one eBay sale was $xxx amount
> give them cheaper than eBay
> buyer still wants free postage.
> you say no.. buyer pulls out of deal.

low balling is common practice.. that's just on the low end stuff.. I wouldn't even bother selling high end cards here.. more talking than actual dealings..

what annoys me more is people are asking for the best price and not even intending to buy.. like why?? lol

As I said somewhere else before, it is just call 'ballin these days! :lol:

I am guilty, I have done it a couple of times, but more so in the way of "I don't really want the card, but will buy for xxxx if you really need to sell". But most of the time I think I am fair!

I do agree that there are a lot of people that just float around here offering the equivalent value of a used toploader for a Larry Bird auto though! lol

In saying that, there are a lot of 'Highballers' around here too! People that put high prices on cards in the hope of luring a sucker. I don't see why it is acceptable for people to highball but not to lowball! lol

But clearly, like you said Ads, you are usually very well priced so that doesn't apply to you!

PS - $12dlvd for the Kidd LL in your sig??

As I said somewhere else before, it is just call 'ballin these days! :lol:

I am guilty, I have done it a couple of times, but more so in the way of "I don't really want the card, but will buy for xxxx if you really need to sell". But most of the time I think I am fair!

I do agree that there are a lot of people that just float around here offering the equivalent value of a used toploader for a Larry Bird auto though! lol

In saying that, there are a lot of 'Highballers' around here too! People that put high prices on cards in the hope of luring a sucker. I don't see why it is acceptable for people to highball but not to lowball! lol

But clearly, like you said Ads, you are usually very well priced so that doesn't apply to you!

PS - $12dlvd for the Kidd LL in your sig??
Lowball pm sent!

the way of the forums..
> want eBay prices
> give them eBay prices
> claims that one eBay sale was $xxx amount
> give them cheaper than eBay
> buyer still wants free postage.
> you say no.. buyer pulls out of deal.

low balling is common practice.. that's just on the low end stuff.. I wouldn't even bother selling high end cards here.. more talking than actual dealings..

what annoys me more is people are asking for the best price and not even intending to buy.. like why?? lol

In reality, people need to use a little more common sense when using eBay pricing too!

• Sellers on eBay have to pay 10% in fees, so a $100 card only nets them $90, so why shouldn't they sell for $90 when avoiding fees.
  • Most eBay sales are in USD. I know we were dollar for dollar for a fair while there, but keep in mind that if a card sold for $100 on eBay today, that is $115 AUD give or take
  • Not every eBay sale is equal. If you list an item with a poor description, bad image or ending at a bad time of day/week, it is probably going to sell for less than the others! That is why you need to use averages!
  • Arthy doesn't even own any high end cards, so don't know why he is pretending that he "won't even bother selling high ends cards here" lol

Haha $12dlvd for the LL, come on just a little low haha, i agree its not right to ask for crazy high prices in the hope of sucking in a newbie ect but i guess ive noticed the lowballing more so.

No doubt you would!

I used to lick my lips whenever I saw one of your sale threads Ads! Every time there was one of your bust-a-palooza weekends, it would be followed by a massive sale thread with all VERY fairly priced cards inside!

I would just make a list and total it up! Was always a great deal! So if you are still getting 'balled, then there is no saving those guys! haha

PS - $15, but that is my final offer! I once saw one on eBay sell for $1.87 so you are getting a great deal!

No doubt you would!

I used to lick my lips whenever I saw one of your sale threads Ads! Every time there was one of your bust-a-palooza weekends, it would be followed by a massive sale thread with all VERY fairly priced cards inside!

I would just make a list and total it up! Was always a great deal! So if you are still getting 'balled, then there is no saving those guys! haha

PS - $15, but that is my final offer! I once saw one on eBay sell for $1.87 so you are getting a great deal!

maybe $16 with free postage haha, i remember when i first bought the card years ago it was only around 50 bucks, those were the days when exquisite was a little cheaper

In reality, people need to use a little more common sense when using eBay pricing too!

• Sellers on eBay have to pay 10% in fees, so a $100 card only nets them $90, so why shouldn't they sell for $90 when avoiding fees.
  • Most eBay sales are in USD. I know we were dollar for dollar for a fair while there, but keep in mind that if a card sold for $100 on eBay today, that is $115 AUD give or take
  • Not every eBay sale is equal. If you list an item with a poor description, bad image or ending at a bad time of day/week, it is probably going to sell for less than the others! That is why you need to use averages!
  • Arthy doesn't even own any high end cards, so don't know why he is pretending that he "won't even bother selling high ends cards here" lol

lol still have a few high end cards left by high end I mean mid end.. because high end now days are $1000+ cards lol..
mine are more in the $300-$500 range..

but kinda getting over the hobby and cards quick.. more due to bad experiences.. about 2 years ago I could drop $500 on a single card.. but now thinking about it.. makes me sick to my stomach.. haha

lol still have a few high end cards left by high end I mean mid end.. because high end now days are $1000+ cards lol..

but kinda getting over the hobby and cards quick.. more due to bad experiences.. about 2 years ago I could drop $500 on a single card.. but now thinking about it.. makes me sick to my stomach.. haha

That's because these days, $500 means you can fill up the Monaro twice! :lol:

This does get to me sometimes, i mean i only really sell low end cards
apart from all my Crazy High End Andy Rautins cards (future MVP) but like
if i have a card for sale lets just say $17, last one sold $16 plus postage
Is my $17 fair????

I think it is, so why does someone then offer $14?
Are they trying to flip?
Do they actually want the card???
I counter, saying $17 is fair for the card.
They say they are on a budget and can only afford $14
But yet spend over ~$50 on another deal?
Do they actually think that i dont see this??????

Another thing,

let me paint the picture

Mailday thread: my first (insert basketballers name) auto
very happy i finally got one.

IS AVAILABLE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE..........WTF!

For Sale thread: (insert basketballers name) auto available
at 100% mark up (lets say initial cost $30, current sale price in thread $60)

WTF

Put simply, you cannot get bargains on Ebay and then expect to sell them here for more.

Maybe in the case of redemption's yes, but seriously most people check ebay anyway to see what a card is worth.

It might be just me, but it seems a lot of new (to the forum) members are guilty of both the above.

Maybe they dont know any better?

Maybe they are young, what ever it is it needs to stop.

I got done over hard paying over $100 for a lebron timeless patch a year ago because the bloke screamed that
This price was correct as thats what they were selling for on ebay.

I couldnt find it but, yeah you can guess how the story ends.

2 things.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH IF YOU ARE BUYING OR SELLING

PLEASE DONT ASSUME WE ARE ALL DUMB AS $hit.

:goat: :offtopic: :whistle: :cool: :hearts: :hearts: =D> :thumbsup: :cry: :D :red: :crazy:

That's because these days, $500 means you can fill up the Monaro twice! :lol:

exactly.. but just saying that.. I just spend over $3k on brakes/rotors. plugs, leads, cat back exhaust and front and rear sway bars lol..

or for the same money i could bought a kyrie Rpa... :/ lol

card prices are just crazy!!

thats me down to the ground. i really havent been on here at all in the last 6 months. i tried to sell off some cards a while back and its didnt get anywhere as my $0.50 per GU/auto wasnt cheap enough.
i got disheartened and they went back in the cupboard. i still have the walls but im only holding them till be has a few good games next season and they're gone.

even though i havent been posting, ive been watching sales/wants/etc and some of the card prices are extreme. im not 100% up with it as i was but a quick search on ebay usually confirms my suspicions.
im not sure if its got anything to do with some/most US sellers not wanting to post overseas so aussie collectors, using the term pretty loosely are taking advantage of that with increased prices..

but arthy hit the nail on the head in saying that about spending $500 on a card. i was spending insane amounts on cards, nowadays im buying other things (houses, car parts, holidays) and it really makes me wonder how much i did spend.

i should really do a post on my car now that im thinking about it.. as i look at my new headlights that i need to find time to put in. anyone free on sat morning? lol

i think in some way everyone here lowballs. most of the time no 2 people view a card quite the same so their ideas on price will differ. i find there is nothing wrong with asking for a better price if its multiple cards. if they say no, you either buy still or move on. simple.

i know that in my sale thread i may have cards priced higher but thats cos im lazy and havent changed the prices or researched their “market value” again haha. doesnt matter as noone wants what i have so noone really offers anything haha

This place is a hive for the 'ballers.
I won't name names but I was in shock the other day when I received a pm saying they would pay me half the value of my cards because I was trying to make some quick cash for a certain purchase. I honestly didn't know how to reply.

exactly.. but just saying that.. I just spend over $3k on brakes/rotors. plugs, leads, cat back exhaust and front and rear sway bars lol..

or for the same money i could bought a kyrie Rpa... :/ lol

card prices are just crazy!!

And it's still a slug.... Hahahah $3k for me cam, install and tune.....

I'm the same as others, over the hobby as a whole but my lag 2 sales threads I was trying to I've stuff cheap as chips and got no where so went fk it!!!

This place is a hive for the 'ballers.
I won't name names but I was in shock the other day when I received a pm saying they would pay me half the value of my cards because I was trying to make some quick cash for a certain purchase. I honestly didn't know how to reply.

wow, thats brazen!! *checks PMs to make sure it wasnt me*

Back
Top Bottom