Lara, Kohli + Murali First Cards

jamesgwilson91

OzCardTrader
Real Name
James Wilson
Hi all,

New to the forum!

I'm just wondering what the first cards are of the players above? I have a couple of 1928 Ogden's Bradman cards that I would like to add to. Lara in particular is of interest as he is my favourite player by far! The earliest card I have seen is the 1995 Buttercup.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

I get a bit skeptical about people asking about earliest player cards as there is now a trend (especially from the U.S.) where "speculators" are looking for so called "rookie" cards, getting them graded and expecting big dollars for base cards. Kinda amusing but also damaging to the hobby. I see Sportsdeck Tendulkar base cards worth $1 have been selling for around $100 on ebay recently due to this trend. To be the poor mug who paid that type of money for a base card - smh.

Anyhow, to my knowledge, earliest cards that I know of may be :

Murali - 1994 Sportsdeck
Lara - 1995 Buttercup or Futera
Kohli - 2011 Topps Cricket Attax

I derived this from cards I have personally catalogued and you can search for any player through this link ...

http://www.nazimcricket.com/visual_chklist.php

I get a bit skeptical about people asking about earliest player cards as there is now a trend (especially from the U.S.) where "speculators" are looking for so called "rookie" cards, getting them graded and expecting big dollars for base cards. Kinda amusing but also damaging to the hobby. I see Sportsdeck Tendulkar base cards worth $1 have been selling for around $100 on ebay recently due to this trend. To be the poor mug who paid that type of money for a base card - smh.

Murali - 1994 Sportsdeck

I derived this from cards I have personally catalogued and you can search for any player through this link ...

Hi Nazim, thanks for the reply. I have been on your site a few times recently, you have an amazing collection!

Thanks for the information, I will have a look into those cards that you mentioned. It seems those 96 Tendulkar cards are worth so much as no-one can get hold of any of his earlier stuff!

Murali - 1994 Sportsdeck

That link is brilliant by the way; thank you!

Murali - 1994 Sportsdeck

My word, I am starting to see these sales dominating a lot of groups now. Tendulkar ungraded 96 base cards selling for $100+ as his "Futera Rookie" card. I am going to say my piece on any post I find because it is a disgusting practice from those who know they are ripping naive collectors off. Buyer beware is a weak excuse when justifying this practice.

My word, I am starting to see these sales dominating a lot of groups now. Tendulkar ungraded 96 base cards selling for $100+ as his "Futera Rookie" card. I am going to say my piece on any post I find because it is a disgusting practice from those who know they are ripping naive collectors off. Buyer beware is a weak excuse when justifying this practice.
I saw two Tendulkar 1996 cards go for £120 last night I believe. Crazy prices! They seem to have been rising over the last few months. They must be quite plentiful as well?!

I saw two Tendulkar 1996 cards go for £120 last night I believe. Crazy prices! They seem to have been rising over the last few months. They must be quite plentiful as well?!
At a guess I'd say 10,000+. I'd have at least 50.

I'll lock them away forever rather than risk people getting burned on them.

not entirely sure what you mean by people being burned on them

they are selling for that price because people are willing to buy them for that price

yes these cards are plentiful but so are things in the soccer field like beckham premier gold and various messi and ronaldo cards, which are going for huge money.

This is seemingly where the hobby heading, bulk collecting the absolute superstars

Don’t blame the seller, they’re not making anyone pay those prices. Blame the buyer for either not doing their homework or for hoping to one day cash in.

And no one is forcing the buyers to buy at that price

Everyone has their own idea of what a value it is.

There is a thread on here somewhere discussing the eaglemoss Indian produced and many people couldn’t comprehend base cards being so expensive, even though they were very short print base, people got stuck on base.

Then you have other peculiarities such as basic Futera inserts numbered into the 5-7,000 that are worth more than newer cards with limits in the hundreds

Bottom line is there is no set value like the gold price, everything is variable between every collector

I get all of that. I just don't agree.

"Blame the buyer, not the seller." I'd just like to think that if I went into a new hobby that I could do so without the fear of being completely fleeced. I'd sure appreciate collectors that gave me advice about what was fair and reasonable and what wasn't.

As for the seller, if you are going to label something as a rookie card when it was released after the player has played 7 years at the pinnacle of the game, become captain of his country and already started to break run scoring records at a 1000%+ markup on the value that you know it is actually worth (here come the something is worth what people will pay argument) then I personally find that morally questionable. We don't have to agree.

I have 50+ of that Tendulkar base. If I turned those into $5k it would feel like dirty money to me.

Last edited:
If new to a hobby surely it’s up to that person to do their research before buying anything. That’s how I see it anyway. I’d never hand over cash without doing research, most of all if I entered into something I knew nothing about. Just my 10 cents worth.

There were only 5,000 boxes produced of 96 Futera World Cup which means about 15k- 20k of the Tendulkar base cards were ever produced. Not incredibly rare but also not overly produced either for such a global superstar.

Cricket is going crazy at the moment - I've noticed different American people who have podcasts etc point out cricket cards a lot recently.

Personally, I think it's all a bit 'google the list of the biggest sports in the world, and see Cricket at #2 so it must get big one day'.

It’s crazy it’s such a big world sport yet Cricket cards have never matched that hype. Cricket cards need to include all international teams in one release and be nice and limited and I’m sure it would be hugely sort after.

It’s crazy it’s such a big world sport yet Cricket cards have never matched that hype. Cricket cards need to include all international teams in one release and be nice and limited and I’m sure it would be hugely sort after.

The only reason I am not destitute is that the various licences have prevented this from ever happening.

Just imagine a fully licensed release with player signatures from all around the world past and present. It would be one sport where I wouldn't care who I got Kiwi or Zimbabwean, I'd just feel so stoked to get their card.

Unfortunately, the closest we'd probably ever get would be T20 and that doesn't interest me at all.

So what you are describing would be the 1996 Futera Workd Cup. Limited to 5,000 boxes and only 17,500 of each Base Card. Very limited considering the 2.5 Billion Fans out there.

I think there also needs to be growth in the collector base too for cricket to really take off. Yes, it's a wildly popular sport around the world, but when you consider where it's popular, they aren't really places that are known to be card collectors.

That Futera set does have 17,500 print runs of each base card, which is nothing compared to the 2.5b fans.... but I wouldn't be shocked if there were less than 17,500 cricket card collectors around the world right now.

Having said that though, I've seen a lot of Bradman stuff getting shared recently - mostly by US collectors, so who knows.

So what you are describing would be the 1996 Futera Workd Cup. Limited to 5,000 boxes and only 17,500 of each Base Card. Very limited considering the 2.5 Billion Fans out there.

Sort of but not really, more limited and include international signatures. The hobby has come a long way since 96.

Hello here from one of those damn yanks who is interested in buying your old base cards 😂 I just joined the site after finding this thread. Seems like an awesome community!

Just wanted to provide some context on why folks like me are interested in the early cards of star players. In America sports cards have been huge since the 1980s when the market really took off. Many of our most valuable cards are base cards. 1952 Topps Mickey mantle being a prime example of a card that goes for $20k or more even if it's ripped in half and duck taped back together. Other cards from the set could be bought for a few dollars.

A more modern example is Michael Jordan 1986 fleer. Those boxes were junk when they came out. They sat on the shelf collecting dust. Now those Jordan cards are gold. Mint copies sell for $300,000+ even though more than 20,000 have been submitted to PSA. As such unopened boxes that used to sell for $20 now costs $100,000 (not a typo).

So all that's to say.... I am more than happy to take a risk and pay an inflated price for 1996 Tendulkar cards because I think like an American card collector. Maybe not $50 but $25 or so seems reasonable. I know there is risk in these cards going back down to $1 BUT there is also potential reward down the line.

Just wanted to share another view. Hope this helps.

Sal

Back
Top Bottom