Joel Selwood - A real star or not?

Wheeldude

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ping
eBay User
wheeldude_888
Now don't get me wrong guys Joel Selwood is my favourite non-Saints player at the moment so this thread is by no means disrespecting his talents but I've been thinking lately...would he be a superstar if drafted for another club...say if he joined Troy at Brisbane (not anymore) or Adam and Scott at West Coast...

He's a real tough player and has been a gun since he debuted in 2007. I really think he is a potential Brownlow medallist and could play 300+ games, once Ablett retires or goes to Gold Coast he could be the best player on Geelong's list or even the AFL (big call coming from a Saints supporter). But he did debut in a year where Geelong were supreme...

Here are his stats...

Team

AFL Premiership (Geelong): 2007, 2009
AFL McClelland Trophy (Geelong): 2007, 2008
AFL NAB Cup (Geelong): 2009

Individual

All–Australian: 2009
AFLPA Robert Rose Most Courageous Player Award: 2009
Michael Tuck Medal: 2009
AFLCA Best Young Player Award: 2008
AFL Rising Star Award: 2007
AFLPA Best First Year Player Award: 2007
Geelong F.C. Best First Year Player Award: 2007
Fox Sports Best First Year AFL Player Award: 2007
Bendigo Sports Star of the Year Award: 2009
Victorian Team representative honours in AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match: 2008

Other achievements

Member of Geelong F.C. leadership group: 2009—present
Only player in VFL/AFL history to win the AFL Rising Star Award and play in an AFL premiership within the same year: 2007
Only Geelong player to win the AFL Rising Star Award: 2007
Only footballer to win the Bendigo Sports Star of the Year Award: 2009
Highest winning percentage record of any player in VFL/AFL history (90 percent): 2009
Highest career average for frees received per game in AFL history (2.28 per game): 2009
Most free kicks ever received in a single season by a player (63 free kicks): 2008
Most tackles ever in a season by a first year player (92 tackles): 2007
Third-longest all-time streak for most consecutive victories by an AFL player (25 wins): 2008

So far 91 games and 2302 disposals @ 25.3 per game, plus 37 Bronlow votes.

I think it's a team thing but still an overall superstar...now he's developed the skills he'll be a gun no matter where he goes.

Tell me what you think guys...

Love it when I create a thread which everyone gets involved in.

whoa those stats make him even betta in my books:shock:

he'll always be a superstar:)

So basically saying that maybe he is only as good as his team i.e. if he played for West Coast then he'd just be another player??? What about Jack Riewoldt based on that theory?

I reckon that fact that he more than holds his own with the likes of Ablett, Corey, Bartel, Kelly, Chapman and Ling in the same midfield makes him an out-and-out star.

You see plenty of defenders or forwards who benefit from a great midfield group either delivering perfectly by foot, or pressuring the opposition midfielders into disposal errors, but in the midfield you have to win your own ball, then use it effectively.

Love watching him.

Highest career average for frees received per game in AFL history (2.28 per game): 2009
Most free kicks ever received in a single season by a player (63 free kicks): 2008

wouldnt be bragging about these 'achievements'.
im not denying he has skill, but he has to use it instead of playing for the free kicks.
IMO he would be better at another team that DOES NOT play or approve of that style of football.
i am also lead to believe he finished with the most free kicks for in both of the last 2 seasons and leads this years competition too.
he needs to HTFU i rekon.

im assuming that as a geelong supporter you cant see it.
but anywho, as i said he does have the talent but he needs to use it.

come on Liam.
thats 41 seconds ourt of his careerit would be a stretch but i could probably find 41 useful seconds of Des Headlands career.
anyway i dont really care about Selwood enough to get into a debate over him.

Back
Top Bottom