Jason Kidd Triple Double Watch

Funkadelic

On Again, Off Again..
Real Name
Travis
eBay User
the_funkadelic
JK recorded another triple double today, the second straight and third in four games and bringing his career total to 80. He had 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists (3 steals and a block). At this rate he has a good chance to get close to Magic.

The top 5 all-time looks like this:
1. Oscar Robertson -- 181
2. Magic Johnson -- 138
3. Jason Kidd -- 84
4. Wilt Chamberlain -- 78
5. Larry Bird -- 59

no way hes catching magic, and theres no way anyone will EVER catch the big O, what a freak of nature!

well, it's a great achievement....for Jason Kidd.. I do not think he will reach Magic.. but nobody really thought he would achieve what he did today 10 years ago.....

i hope he reaches triple digits for triple double..

Yeah, hitting 100 2/3s would be a fitting tribute to the kind of player Kidd is. I hope he gets there.

I reckon Kidd will reach 90 this season, if there's no "THAT WORD". - Don't jinx him now.

I still think Kidd's no rebounder, he just happens to be in the right spot at the right time. He's got one knack for knowing where the balls' going to fall that's for sure!

Didnt the Big O average a 3D for the year?? That's VERY CLOSE to having 80 in a season. No wonder no one will ever catch him.

Great post too, but I think you should edit your first post, and keep us updated when he records the 3D's, and what they were, and against who.

no way hes catching magic, and theres no way anyone will EVER catch the big O, what a freak of nature!

I agree with you mate. I always want records be beaten by great players but this one is mathematically impossible.

Lets do the math, shall we?

Kidd is in his 13th season. Say he got 80 in 12 seasons. That will make it 6.66/yr rate. He needs 58 to match Magic's so that will be like 9+ years which is we all know he's getting older :)

PS: Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double in a single season so I would say he will be the king of 3D's. His record will remain untouch.;)

I guess his divorce isn't distracting him too much..

Jason Kidd recorded his 82nd career triple-double, and the New Jersey Nets erased an 18-point deficit against Chicago for the second time in a week, beating the Bulls 86-83 on Thursday night.

Kidd had 23 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists for his seventh triple-double of the season.

What i wanna know is has anyone been closer to averaging a TD since OScar than Kidd this yr - 13 pts, 8 rebs and 9 assists. I never thought it could be done but if he keeps hitting the boards who knows?? He's an amazing player and headed to the HOF

What the Kidd Did
by John Schuhmann

East Rutherford, NJ, Dec. 12, 2006 -- On Monday, Jason Kidd recorded his 79th career triple-double. That's one more than Wilt Chamberlain, moving Kidd into third place all-time on the career triple-doubles list. The next day, we spoke with Jason about the accomplishment, as well as the state of the Nets.

NBA.com: Obviously, it has been a bit of a disappointing start to the season for the Nets. Where are you now as a team. Can you build on this win on Memphis?

Jason Kidd: I think for us, as a team, we've come out of the gate slow. But there's a lot of basketball still to be played and we've stopped the bleeding in one sense. But I think, for us, it's just to build on what we've done positive and learn from the negative stuff. We're a veteran ballclub. We understand what it takes to win in this league and hopefully, we can continue to do that.

NBA.com: I know you've seen the breakdown of your 79 triple-doubles. Is there anything that stands out when you look at this list?

Jason Kidd: I thought the breakdown was great. To be able to see one, the different months. I think it's February and April where I tend to get my most triple-doubles. And then Friday nights... because I haven't played too many Friday afternoon games... but Friday I've done quite well with triple-doubles too.

NBA.com: One thing that stood out to me was that the Suns won each of the first 15 triple-double games you had with Phoenix. Obviously, there's a correlation between you getting a triple-double and your team winning the game.

Jason Kidd: I've always felt that if I had a triple-double that the chances of my team winning were pretty high. I still believe in that, because it feels that I have an impact on the game and somehow, I'll always feel that I'm controlling the game if I do have a triple-double.

NBA.com: You went 68 games in your rookie year without one. What took so long?

Jason Kidd: Scoring. I think not being able to score hurt me those first 68. Scoring and maybe rebounding. But come April of my rookie season, they started to come in a bunch. After that first one, I broke the seal and just continued to keep going.

NBA.com: Is there one that is more memorable than the others? Are playoff triple-doubles stand out more?

Jason Kidd: Playoffs stick out, but I think one that I really enjoyed playing in the game... there's two now. The one in Houston... it was an overtime game where I shot a lot of three-pointers at the end to get into overtime. And then, the recent one is against Phoenix, the double-overtime. Just because that was a great basketball game to be involved in as a player and as a fan. It was unfortunate our team had to lose. But those two stand out.

NBA.com: Was that double-OT game the ultimate point guard matchup?

Jason Kidd: It was the ultimate. When you have two point guards that weren't going to let their teams lose... We were going to do anything in our power to one, exchange punches in the sense that he was giving me his best and I was giving him my best, and he was the one standing up at the end.

NBA.com: How aware are you of your numbers during the course of a game?

Jason Kidd: I'm more aware maybe late in the game, because somebody will come up and say that you might need an assist or you might need a rebound or you might need two rebounds... or you might need two points. So, that's when I'm more aware of what I'm doing because somebody will bring it up.

NBA.com: The scoreboard at Continental Airlines Arena isn't too good for keeping track, isn't it?

Jason Kidd: Yeah, you'll get a headache trying to see what your numbers are here, which is probably a good thing, because we're not playing for numbers. But it's very difficult to know who has what. The only good part about our scoreboard is just the points and fouls. You can't tell who has any assists or rebounds, but they're working on it.

NBA.com: We've seen you dunking in the highlights from college and your early years in the league, and we saw you (unsuccessfully) attempt an alley-oop dunk last night. How has your game changed in the course of 13 seasons?

Jason Kidd: I think the game has changed in a lot of different ways. It has slowed down. I might still be fast with the ball, but the game is a lot slower. I see things a lot clearer. I understand how important the fourth quarter is. I understand how important the ball is and getting a good shot. And then physically, maybe not being able to dunk on a regular basis... but I felt good last night. Vince didn't believe me, but I wanted him to throw the alley-oop to see if I could get it. It didn't happen, but it was a good attempt.

NBA.com: Still, the standard line for people is to say that Jason Kidd "has lost a step." What does that mean and what kind of motivation do you get from people saying that?

Jason Kidd: I don't feel that I've lost a step. I feel that I'm more assertive or that I don't have to waste a step. I look at it that way. I use my mental aspect more than my physical skills. So I think I've lost a step. I just feel that I'm stronger and I don't need to go as fast as I did when I was a little bit younger.

NBA.com: You've got (regular season) triple-doubles against 28 of the 30 teams, with the Nets and Celtics being the only teams you haven't recorded one against. Would you like to get one against Boston?

Jason Kidd: In the regular season, yes. Fortunately, in the playoffs, I've averaged a triple-double against Boston. I'd rather average a triple-double in the playoffs than go out during a regular season game and get one against them.

NBA.com: This season, you're averaging a career-high at 8.7 rebounds per game. In October, you mentioned averaging a triple-double. Is that something you've got your mind on?

Jason Kidd: I just said mentally and physically, I felt great. My goal wasn't to go out and average a triple-double. It's just that's how I felt physically and mentally. You know, I still feel that Oscar Robertson... that will be the last time that will ever be accomplished. Because the game is so hard. Maybe if I was 6-8, rebounding would be a little bit easier for me, but this is probably as close as I will ever get to averaging a triple-double.

NBA.com: Is there a young player in the league now that could approach your numbers?

Jason Kidd: I think LeBron has built his game to come close to averaging a triple-double. Because he's unselfish, he can rebound and he can score at any time. So, he's one of the guys that I think stands out. If [anyone] ever came close, he would be one.

NBA.com: Would you trade them all for a ring?

Jason Kidd: Yeah. That's what we play this game for... to be able to win a championship. So if I had to trade 79 in for one ring, I would do it.

How could you trade this guy?

faaaaark, he had a cracked rib?

If Jason Kidd isn't in the Hall of Fame after his career I'll be devastated.. I've got to rank the guy as one of the best 5 point guards of all-time, taking into consideration his passing ability, elite defensive abilities, offensive abilities and flatout leadership abilities.

hope he gets a ring!

Back
Top Bottom