I've finally learnt to have patience

shawnkemp40

🔴⚪⚫
Real Name
Dylan
So with the soaring cost of boxes this year, I've noticed that people are asking crazy prices even for "scrub vets" as a pretty serious player collector, I have previously tried to get every Ennis card asap.
Not this year, I have collected long enough to know fair prices and some of the asking prices on my PC stuff has been absurd. I saw one of the Ennis 1/1 from court king's pop up with bid or BO. I sent an offer of $55 US which is pretty high but figured it's high enough to get it. Got countered at $150 US...wtf??
Needless to say when I won the auction for $28 or something US I was feeling pretty amused.
Any other low end collectors feeling that their prices are being jacked up by people busting overpriced boxes and sellers trying to recover stupid prices for essentially worthless cards? It will be a slow rainbow chase but one I am happy to wait on as I have the hardest one to get and everything else should be no more than 2-10 a piece as long as I keep the handbrake up.
I am not angry at people feeling burnt by what they got in a box and trying to get something back but let's be honest, just because you paid too much chasing Zion... that's not my issue.

I must admit I have always wanted to PC a "scrub vet" as you say. Not that my main PC of Olajuwon cards are too expensive. Have always cringed a bot when I see what guys have to pay for MJ/Kobe/Durant/Curry etc PCs! (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

Hopefully you can continue to pick cards up in auctions at close to "normal" prices.

I don't like the term scrub vet... But that is what the hobby refers guys such as my PC guy. Any player who competes at the highest level deserves respect in my book.
If it was easy to be mediocre and play in the top leagues we'd all be in them 😂

Amen to that.

Played a bit against a guy who played semi-pro German div 3 (or something) but he was 6'9 and hitting threes and dunking on everyone. Makes you just think "Wow, how good are the guys who are playing at the levels above him!".

Amen to that.

Played a bit against a guy who played semi-pro German div 3 (or something) but he was 6'9 and hitting threes and dunking on everyone. Makes you just think "Wow, how good are the guys who are playing at the levels above him!".
Spot on, the highest level I played ball at was a handful of SBL games here in Perth a horribly long time ago. I had good hops for a guy barely 6ft but man there were some beasts even at that level that didn't get into NBL. I've played cricket with some former fringe Western Warriors players and even they are so superior in skill. Yet the avg punter would say they suck. Gotta know your stuff before you start throwing dirt at people.

I played quite a bit of cricket against Ben Wheeler and Brendon Diamanti who both had (relatively short) Black Caps careers as well as a bunch of good provincial guys for CD and Canterbury.

I was a pretty dour opening batsmen and I could survive for a while against them but there was little chance of me playing any successful attacking shots. Were just on another level to me. (I did hit Wheels for 6 back over his head once — nobody needs to know he was about 15 at the time though! :whistle:)

I played quite a bit of cricket against Ben Wheeler and Brendon Diamanti who both had (relatively short) Black Caps careers as well as a bunch of good provincial guys for CD and Canterbury.

I was a pretty dour opening batsmen and I could survive for a while against them but there was little chance of me playing any successful attacking shots. Were just on another level to me. (I did hit Wheels for 6 back over his head once — nobody needs to know he was about 15 at the time though! :whistle:)

I've played cricket and also practiced against some really really good players and their skills are next level.

One of my good mates who was a great cricket player (played 1st/2nd grade for Parramatta in the Sydney Grade Comp) had the fun task of facing an 18 year old Brett Lee on a drop in pitch at North Sydney Oval. Said he was almost unplayable!

There are so many amazing athletes out there who are excellent at what they do, yet the pinnacle of their sport is still even out of reach for them.

Back
Top Bottom