Ben Simmons Overhyped?

1stBowman

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
COMC User
1stBowman
Just watched the Pacers/76ers. It looked like Philadelphia stepped up a gear and put the game to bed while Simmons was on the bench. He looks like a bit of a one-trick pony to me. Fultz looks to have more upside imo and after an average start looked impressive in the 3rd Q.

Simmons was ok and put on a very nice move in the 1st Q but he looks like a run-to-the-basket type, and that's it. I don't think he put up one jump shot.

Is Simmons overhyped?

And how good was Oladipo in the 1st half! If he had some more quality with him they'd be a serious contender in the East.

Philly looked much stronger overall. Embiid is a gun. Might have to jump on at the $7.00 for Conference champs.

Ramble over.

I'd take Simmons still over Fultz any day of the week. His size and court vision is incredible and he has plenty of time to work on the shot.
Some of the plays he made last season in the playoffs, wow. Gonna be a dominator.

Love watching Embiid play too. See his instagram trash talking going on with Drummond at the moment then goes and put 41pts 18reb or something on him. Epic.

I'll defer to you on Simmons/Fultz. I didn't see many Philly games last year. He just seems a bit predictable. He's a supreme looking athlete, however. Just wish he hadn't signed an exclusive auto deal with UD. Damn shame that. Those sort of arrangements hurt the hobby.

And yeah, Embiid sure does walk the talk.

I'll defer to you on Simmons/Fultz. I didn't see many Philly games last year. He just seems a bit predictable. He's a supreme looking athlete, however. Just wish he hadn't signed an exclusive auto deal with UD. Damn shame that. Those sort of arrangements hurt the hobby.

And yeah, Embiid sure does walk the talk.

Don't get me wrong, despite all the negative talk over the offseason I think people who watch more Philly basketball could argue for hours on a Simmons v Fultz who's-better-in-5-years debate, it's not a crazy question at all. But for me, Simmons!

I think those wanting him scoring more points straight away is making people think he is overrated. If he can average over 20 ppg in a season or too in the future, combine that with buttloads of assists and rebounds, then you have maybe a top 10 player.

Also I think if Fultz was not a starter the 76ers would win more games.

I think we as spectators are quick to judge and create over hyping ourselves. Some do it to pump up cards some just like to create debate or ruffle feathers. Whatever the reasons they are opinions we are all entitled to. Personally, I'd like to see Simmons do well. He has serious potential and I think as long as he keeps working at being a better player and puts being a basketball player before any celebrity status he will be a supreme talent. He is a part of a very talented young team and if everything can click...they are a team to watch. He has flaws, and the expectations this season are very high from what we have seen of him thus far however as missing hinges mentioned good numbers in the next 2 seasons are what we should be going by to rate him as a player not as a cardboard commodity.
These days it's more of a who isn't overhyped more so than who is!!
If Oladipo falls off...he was overhyped at this moment. Don't forget people were digging Curry rookies out of their sh!t heap a couple of years ago. It takes time to make it in the NBA and I hope from an "Aussie Ben" perspective that he does well for himself.

It's like the whole Jordan v Kobe v LeBron thing,
People will back one guy til they are blue in the face. Having watched all 3 for years if I had a guy to lead and make the most impact...prime MJ without a doubt. Taking nothing away from Kobe or LeBron as they are very worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as MJ but neither of them in their prime would outplay prime MJ... that's something that realistically can't be disputed as MJ whilst not my favourite player, was the best player and that is evidenced by the ongoing comparisons more than 2 decades since he last touched a competitive basketball. He is STILL the man to knock off. Not many athletes in any sport are still put on such a high pedestal even 5 years after they give it away. That is the truest definition of greatness. There won't be another MJ, a next MJ nothing...there will be a LeBron, a Kobe and perhaps a Ben Simmons...time will tell.

"These days it's more of a who isn't overhyped more so than who is!!"

Well said. The commercial aspect of big league sports is nuts. That's where all the hype comes from. Player managers, sports promotors, etc.

MJ hands down. Only those who didn't see him play might argue differently. He made the NBA what it is today.

I also would like to see Simmons do well. Despite the humongous chip on his shoulder.

I just think people are tearing down Fultz who is almost 2 years younger than Simmons. That's a big age gap at that stage of a young player's development. Philly was probably the worst fit for Fultz given Simmons. He doesn't fit at Philly and the quicker he gets offloaded elsewhere the better off he'll be.

Very interesting posts mate.

1. MJ
2. LeBron
3.Kobe

One player who is 'under-hyped' , if such a thing is possible, is the so called Greek Freak, Antetokounmpo. I watched the game yesterday and he was phenomenal. I enjoy watching him more than anyone else ( even LeBron) at the moment. Barring injury he must be a shoe-in for MVP.

Jalen Rose stated that Fultz is tracking to be one of the all time busts, if not the all time bust, in the history of the NBA. Holy...

Best leave this kinda talk to the experts in future. Where's the delete button on this site?

Jalen Rose stated that Fultz is tracking to be one of the all time busts, if not the all time bust, in the history of the NBA. Holy...

Best leave this kinda talk to the experts in future. Where's the delete button on this site?

I think anybody will be hard pressed to beat Anthony Bennett as the "all-time bust".

He put in the offseason work, his preseason shot and bounce looked pretty good, everything was going in the right direction, then a massive back step. I wouldn't say bust yet, give him another offseason and then decide I think. Confidence and self-belief is such a crucial thing huh!

he has a lot of ability but until he can shoot and space the floor then teams like boston in last years finals will lay off him.
I would like to see improvement at least in the mid range jump shot percentages.
Hopefully over the next couple of years he will be able to shoot the three ball and then we will see how good he can be.

Fultz is looking real bad at the moment.

It beggars belief for me that NBA stars can be hopeless at shooting FT's.
I have never had a shooting coach yet I average about 75%.

Fultz is 57%, Simmons at 62%.. bloody disgraceful.

Fultz was only shooting 62% FT and 42% FG in college. I'm not sure what the 76ers thought they could do with his shot, but its surely not working. I agree, he needs to be traded for the betterment of himself and the team. To where, who knows. Somewhere he'll get a better opportunity.

76ers threw away a no1 pick taking Fultz, when they didn't even need a PG at the time with Ben and TJ there.

When they could of had any number of good to great picks that went after him. Such idiocy by the 76ers.
*imagine either.. Tatum, Fox, Markannen, Smith Jnr.. Mitchell... you'd have to pencil them in for a Finals berth in the next 2 years if they had of drafted right.

I also think Ben has taken a step maybe sideways... It appears he did not practice a jump shot or any solid reliable inside moves in the off season and instead wasted it chasing that Kardashian slag.
Get your head in the game Ben. You can't make a hoe a housewife.

Back
Top Bottom