Is it worth buying boxes???

mischap123

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Mischa
eBay User
mischap123
I've often thought about this having not really bought a whole box before.

TO BUY(box) OR NOT TO BUY(box), THAT IS THE QUESTION

I'd like the opinions from all the mathematicians, hardcore collectors, and conspiracy theorists.

With manufacturers giving rough probabilities, but not guaranteeing particular cards in a box(amongst other indiscrepancies), one could argue that you should let someone else take all the risks and just buy the cards you want directly from dealers or ebay.

i can see where you're coming from as i have had numerous boxes where i thought whats the point? as the case the box has come from has either been gone through or the box is just left over from a proper case break wher the high end card/s have been found.

Having said that though the last 6 boxes i have opened i have received a thurston Sig redemption and a gidley sig redemption so based on that i would have beat the odds for sure, i think once you have established a supplier of boxes that you can trust you should stick with them, as there are some sellers, whether we like it or not will rip you off once they have the card they want.

i dont usually buy boxes if i have that set nearly complete for example the 09 classics, apart from some of the sig redemptions i only need 3 cards and those cards are all set up in trades on this sight. as not all people can buy the $500 -$600 and up card so they settle to trying their luck in a box or 2 and if they dont obtain the card they were after then trade bait and or sales is what they can do to try for the next box or card...

in summary...conspiracy? no i dont think so, carefull shopping and then some luck is my opinion

Yeah if you find a trustworthy seller, nothing beats busting a box. Look for case share on this site, they are always good as your guaranteed an unsearched case.

Unfortunatly Im a bit of conspiracy theory person and I believe about 99.37%of nrl box sellers on EBAY (and probably most other box sellers) have picked the eyes out of the case before selling the left over boxes which are 100% guaranteed to not have any of the big hits in them.

But if you can find a trustworthy seller they are worth it for sure.

It is the fun factor of opening a box Mischap.

I wouldnt reccomend spending all your cash on boxes of cards, but for the odd occassion, reward yourself with a box or 2.

And definitely from a Trusted seller, my main problem with buying boxes of cards off ebay would be the "searched case" Factor.

Odds of DT are 1:2 boxes

If seller buys a case , opens 9 Boxes and gets 8 Double Troubles and a Cap Sig by some miraculous chance.
Well the seller would be mad not to sell the remaining boxes, and i'm sure it happens frequently on ebay.

There are just some Collectors who are luckier then others and are willing to spend more on taking risks to get there sets complete.

Thanks Dave, good insight

bdean, can you provide more of an explanation on boxes/cases being picked at? Do ppl reseal packets or something? Or are they strategically packed???

No im not alleging resealing of packets. More what Payney said.

For example: Seller buys a case, opens say 8 boxes, hits a captain signature, a few of the better top prospects, then he/she sells the rest of the boxes, knowing they've got the case hit, and they can be fairly comfortable that they arent giving away anything good in the boxes they're selling. Occasionaly though there will still be another big hit left, thats just the luck of the draw.

I think It is a very common problem. Some Sellers get lucky and open only a few boxes, get a big hit or 2 straight away, then they have pretty much a full sealed case to sell, knowing they have already picked off the good stuff.

You wanna be buying from people who sell from unsearched cases, or get involved in the case shares that are run by people on here, that way your guarenteed boxes from an unsearched case.

Nothing beats busting a box in my opinion, but sometimes i do question it ;

For example when i was collecting 2005 power, i bought 3 boxes totalling just over $600.

For the money i spent i hit nothing overly good, i could of bought a full common set, toy set and club player set, honour roll set a few of the future forces, an inspiration or 2 and probably still had money left over to nearly cover one of the sig redemptions. But in saying that it was damn fun busting the boxes, so its just a matter of personal preferance.

And definitely from a Trusted seller, my main problem with buying boxes of cards off ebay would be the "searched case" Factor.

Odds of DT are 1:2 boxes

If seller buys a case , opens 9 Boxes and gets 8 Double Troubles and a Cap Sig by some miraculous chance.
Well the seller would be mad not to sell the remaining boxes, and i'm sure it happens frequently on ebay.

I wish I realised this before finding this site. I have never got any of the highly sort after cards like Captain sigs or other cards that are odds greater than 1:36 packs in ebay boxes. There may be some good sellers but I won't risk it now and doubt I will never buy boxes from there again. The case shares on here seem the way to go if getting a box.

As others have said though, busting a box is fun.

Thanks for that guys.

It would be great to name and shame but not at all appropriate.

However, a pm with sellers to be wary of would be great.

Also those that ARE trusted sellers feel free to post or is it a heavily guarded secret???

Can't go past GoMoto on this site, all his case shares have been well run with all the case hits being accounted for in the box breaks

Agree on that.

His last case share for NRL went down flawlessly with Z240 picking up the captains signature Kurt Gidley i Think it was or Cameron Smith Maybe :D:D

Other sellers i couldnt really say, I usually try to buy a box or 2 when there is a case share going down on this or another website.

I know there is no way that this ebay seller could have known but:
Mark_nsw purchased 2 x 2009 Champions boxes off a seller on Ebay a few months back, and every hit was the same in Both 2 boxes -Willie Mason Gem, Isaac Luke Gem, the same 4 foil sigs and sketches as well.
Jersey cards were different though.

I think you'd be better waiting for Tak35bne or David Swadling to tell ya where they get there boxes from, although i understand Tak35bne buys a few boxes off OCT member Redtorana, So you might wanna PM Warren and ask him about it for a bit more info

:v:

Todays Collectables on the Sunshine Coast is a very honest, trustworthy seller. I realise he is nowhere near you but he does mail orders too. Cheaper than ebay to boot!

Whatever u do, don't let me pick your boxes, I have bought and opened at least 15 boxes in the last 12 weeks from 2006 accolade to 2009 classic and got no big hits whatsoever.

The only big hit I have had was from 10 packs of classic from a Newsagents (Ryan Captain Signature).

I have been to a dealers house, watched them open the case and I have had my pick of the boxes and pulled jack..................stop laughing, its not funny.............lol

Back
Top Bottom