Investing in trading cards! How to Videos and Prospects!

Eardrum

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Joe
Hi Guys,

I have made some videos about investing in basketball trading cards that I would like to share with you.
They are about helping you make the right investment choices. Would be great if you could check it out.
Give me some likes and subs if you can.
Check out the titles and content below.

Cheers,
The Collector

Is it viable to invest in NBA cards in the year 2020?
View: https://youtu.be/vWVfuhuOFBI

Should you invest in Joel Embiid?
View: https://youtu.be/A2v6l3FJNwQ

How much are your basketball cards from the 1990s worth today?
View: https://youtu.be/hI0IuDix000

And for the beginners: What to expect in basketball packs?
View: https://youtu.be/x6YM1z6hlFg

Should you invest in Benny Simmons?
View: https://youtu.be/qqcK1FFsbC0

Jayson Tatum Class or Form?
https://youtu.be/D9bGirukf2w

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. I'm always interested to hear other people's perspective on the hobby. I have only just watched the 1st video. I'll probably skip the second video ( Embiid) because the answer to "should you invest in Joel Embiid" should be a resounding, NO - perhaps that was your conclusion. I'll watch the other videos when I can.

One point in your 1st video which deals with people driving around from one Walmart to another to buy up all the retail products they can get their hands on, may in fact not be a case of demand outstripping supply( in the traditional sense). I think a lot of people are starting to invest in sealed products and are grabbing as much as they can; then either storing it; or flipping it on Ebay. This is not a good thing.

I share your concerns about overproduction but I do not think there will be a repetition of the 90's. The big difference between then and now is the rise and rise of the internet. The hobby now reaches far more people than it ever could in the 90's and I can see more and more people getting into it because of the advent of online breaking, and social media sites that discuss the hobby. That was not there in the 90's. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will not be a repeat of the 90's. The landscape has altered dramatically since then.

Thanks again for making hobby content.

The only repeat of the 90's I can see is everyone hoarding these sealed products thinking they're a money maker long term but when they go to sell the market is flooded :lol:

The only time I'd hold a sealed product is if I wanted my future children to bust open a sealed box hoping to hit a Zion.
Now that's something we should all do, buy one sealed hobby box for our kids 21st :)
Those of you not wanting children bust it on your 90th :D

I hope it won't get to the card glut era of the 90s too.
And I am cautiously optimistic that it wont..... since Panini has verbally said that they are aware of it and are taking measures to stop it from re-occurring.
But it doesn't change the fact that they doubled the case productions for a few of their products in the space of a year.
I am also concerned with the number of card flippers in the market vs collectors. This one is anecdotal, but it seems as if they are on the rise.

I suspect a "possible" scenario could be an abundance of cards, but not at the card glut level. Which is why I cautioned for serial number cards and autograph cards. After all scarcity is the name of the game! :)

And cheers for watching guys!

Subscribed! Keen to check out some later when I have time - always a big deal putting yourself out there like that on YouTube so I hope you get out of it what you want and let all the hater stuff slide off your back (if there is any at any stage) - all the best!

Subscribed! Keen to check out some later when I have time - always a big deal putting yourself out there like that on YouTube so I hope you get out of it what you want and let all the hater stuff slide off your back (if there is any at any stage) - all the best!

Cheers for the support Matt!

Thanks Joe. I'm always interested to hear other people's perspective on the hobby. I have only just watched the 1st video. I'll probably skip the second video ( Embiid) because the answer to "should you invest in Joel Embiid" should be a resounding, NO - perhaps that was your conclusion. I'll watch the other videos when I can.

One point in your 1st video which deals with people driving around from one Walmart to another to buy up all the retail products they can get their hands on, may in fact not be a case of demand outstripping supply( in the traditional sense). I think a lot of people are starting to invest in sealed products and are grabbing as much as they can; then either storing it; or flipping it on Ebay. This is not a good thing.

I share your concerns about overproduction but I do not think there will be a repetition of the 90's. The big difference between then and now is the rise and rise of the internet. The hobby now reaches far more people than it ever could in the 90's and I can see more and more people getting into it because of the advent of online breaking, and social media sites that discuss the hobby. That was not there in the 90's. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will not be a repeat of the 90's. The landscape has altered dramatically since then.

Thanks again for making hobby content.

Actually with the Embiid one. The conclusion isn't obvious, its not what most people think. The potential is there, but he lacks the mental fortitude or maturity (or whatever word you like to use for it) to fully realise his potential.
If he happens to go to a team with a good development system that prioritises attitude and development, Embiid could really shine.

Also Simmons and Embiid do not bring the best out of each other. (It doesn't mean they can't play together, but its just not in an optimal sense.)

His prices are lowish now, so for a risk loving investor who likes to take chances.. he might be the guy.
But if you are risk averse, stay the hell away! :)

I like that you created a beginner video for people interested in the hobby and I think it's very important. People often won't jump in because they don't know where to start and what to look for etc. My friends and I have enjoyed the learning process after only just getting into the hobby again.

I think a good video would be educating people on breaks and the gambling aspect. Comparisons to only buying into break vs saving for the cards you actually want to PC. Let me know if you do something like this as I'd love to hear another perspective.

Actually with the Embiid one. The conclusion isn't obvious, its not what most people think. The potential is there, but he lacks the mental fortitude or maturity (or whatever word you like to use for it) to fully realise his potential.
If he happens to go to a team with a good development system that prioritises attitude and development, Embiid could really shine.

Also Simmons and Embiid do not bring the best out of each other. (It doesn't mean they can't play together, but its just not in an optimal sense.)

His prices are lowish now, so for a risk loving investor who likes to take chances.. he might be the guy.
But if you are risk averse, stay the hell away! :)

Sounds like I should watch that video too. However, I'm risk averse to all bigs, so it would take some convincing to spend money on a guy like Embiid. The game is changing ( so the experts seem to say) and it's all about agility and durability. Not sure Embiid is either.

Also, you have a tone of voice that is very easy on the ear.

Good luck with it all.

I like that you created a beginner video for people interested in the hobby and I think it's very important. People often won't jump in because they don't know where to start and what to look for etc. My friends and I have enjoyed the learning process after only just getting into the hobby again.

I think a good video would be educating people on breaks and the gambling aspect. Comparisons to only buying into break vs saving for the cards you actually want to PC. Let me know if you do something like this as I'd love to hear another perspective.

Thanks for the compliments L:uluNtread
I have always been interested in case breaks, but it really pushes into gambling aspect of the hobby. (Not that chasing for inserts aren't!)
I might look into it in the future. Need to get my maths and probability in order first :)

Nice video. I think his Goodwin's Champions stuff is junk. Auto, yes. But what horrible looking cards. I think his most valuable cards in the end will be his non-auto stuff like low numbered Prizm or NT. Got to have that uniform on imo.

Comparisons with Lebron 2.0 may have been valid when he entered the league but they are almost ludicrous now. It's like he will receive an electric shock if he dares to shoot from mid-range and beyond. If he does develop a shot and gets to run his own team (like the Greek Freak) then maybe he can still live up to the LBJ comparisons. The only thing stopping him is him.

Sage advice Joe. Stay well away...for now.

Great background music as well. Vivaldi?

You are a classical man I see.... :) for the last segment yes correct!
Yes, the uniform makes the difference! But there are so so many of those made by Panini.
Doesn't mean people can't collect them though, just don't expect any serious ROI (return on investment).

Not quite. I do enjoy a wide variety of classical music...mixed in with some AC/DC, Led Zep, Jimmy Hendrix, and some late 80's early 90's House music. In fact the only music I don't much like is Country...and of course, Western. :)

Back
Top Bottom