Introduction

Jay Blank

One Man Army
Real Name
Jason
G'day everyone,

I'm Jay, 29 from Bundaberg QLD. Just registered for these forums as I have decided to start my third attempt at creating a nice card collection. I began collecting cards in 1988 and and had a substantial collection of rugby league, basketball and a few other assorted types from scanlens, upper deck, sky box etc before my entire card collection was destroyed in a house fire in 1995.

After the fire I stopped collecting for several years but decided to start fresh in 1999. It was hard rebuilding from scratch after losing so many good cards but slowly my collection became something i was proud of, again consisting mainly of rugby league and basketball cards. By 2005 I estimated my collection to be worth somewhere in the range of $8,000 - $10,000, when tragedy struck again. My house was broken into in late 2005 and amongst everything that was stolen was my entire card collection.

So... after losing my entire collections twice I gave up on collecting cards, for several reasons. The time, money and energy I had put in over the years seemed to much to start again, so I stopped until this week when I decided it was time to have another go. I bought myself a safe (seems over the top, but after losing a combined 20 years worth of cards I don't want it to happen again) and decided to, for the third time start a collection from scratch.

Its daunting, but also exciting due to the fact that any half decent card is a nice sight when i crack a packet. I am going to start with the 2010 select NRL champions series and bought myself 30 Packets to begin with. In my very first pack I got a Darren Lockyer Diamond Phenomenon (1 in 72 packs) which is the card I most wanted from this series, so feeling pretty good about restarting my collection. Also got a bunch of Impact Sigs and a few Sensation Gold Gems.

My focus is on Brisbane Bronco's Cards - Hoping to get a nice collection of Lockyer. But will be expanding after I finish my 2010 champions set to include a few other genres. Not sure what yet, got some research to do, but the important thing is I'm collecting and trading again.

So, sorry about the super long introduction post but I'll probably never write a post longer than 5 lines after this one. Looking forward to getting to know the community here and reading some interesting posts, seeing some nice collections and expanding my own.

Peace,
Jay

Hey Jay

Welcome!
May your 3rd attempt at collecting be the best and last! Brutal story mate, you are owed some big time mojo in your box busting!

Get back into some NBA, see what you think of the Panini stuff, lots of nice patches and auto's coming out of that stuff.

Hope you can not only build a collection here, (there's plenty of great members), but share some of your box breaks and maildays as you progress!!!!

All the best

Welcome back to the hobby again mate ! good to see the bad luck you had is not holding you back :)
PS, if you are ever thinking of getting back into NBA collecting again, there are a ton of numbered cards to collect so the old card thief would be stupid to steal cards when a majority can be traced back to the original owner !

Back
Top Bottom