Such is life!
Real Name
Darren
eBay User
dazza_1563
TONIGHT
Friday, October 28 2011, 7.45pm from Etihad Stadium
Australia Vs Ireland International Rules

Who's interested in this game? Just after your thoughts. I like the game and the idea of this series but think the selection panel are doing the wrong thing. Sure qwe want to win, but at what expense, the crowd, sponsors, general interest in the game??? My thoughts are i love watching it, love the concept but its lacking the big name players. I know it was proven that playing the named all aust team probably wasnt the best option to win, but who cares. I loved watching crawford, carey, harvey, hirdy and mcleod all playing together, it was the whole point i thought, it was a different way to watch our favourite stars combine to defeat the Irish. They have clearly tried to clean the game up by playing the faster, younger more honest guys, probably play the game better but its just not the same.

Thoughts???

Australian Team
Richard Douglas (Adelaide Crows), James Frawley (Melbourne), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide), Brad Green (Melbourne), Shaun Grigg (Richmond), James Kelly (Geelong Cats), Jake King (Richmond), Ben McGlynn (Sydney Swans), Trent McKenzie (Gold Coast Suns), Stephen Milne (St Kilda), Angus Monfries (Essendon), Robin Nahas (Richmond), Mark Nicoski (West Coast), Mitch Robinson (Carlton), Liam Shiels (Hawthorn), Zac Smith (Gold Coast Suns), Matthew Suckling (Hawthorn), Andrew Swallow (North Melbourne), Jack Trengove (Melbourne), Bernie Vince (Adelaide Crows), Callan Ward (GWS Giants), David Wojcinski (Geelong Cats), Easton Wood (Western Bulldogs)

Re: International Rules tonight. Thoughts???

i enjoy watching it, its abit different however, my choice would be to pick two AFL Coaches, and let them pick there own teams, any player, any team, any state, have them play a game or a best of 3 series, from those 44 players, 22 are selected as the All Aussie team, then again nobody wants to see there stars injured, but at least its the best players as opposed to a team selected to play a different game ( Hybrid ) has some pros and cons, just my thoughts

Re: International Rules tonight. Thoughts???

I like the concept but there aren't many if any that I would pay to watch live, prefer to sit in front of the box and watch it.

ive added spoilers to the thread title so feel free to talk about about the game. i understand it would be very annoying if one of your teams stars got injured. but maybe its the risk you take. or maybe drop this series and bring back state of origin instead. i loved state of origin footy. even that tribute match from 07 or 08 was good.

they got pushed around by a bigger side. the goal kicking was the big difference i think, as soon as the aussies got in front of goal they just couldnt get that hook working. ireland were very impressive shooting at goal. aussies would drop short or come off the side of the boot. had a bit of fire, gotta love that. but for the ireland coach to come out earlier in the week and say if the aussies start fighting the series will end, then his guys were the ones walking over to our huddle to give gobb, not a good look. if a fight had broken out then it was the irish's fault. bernie vince best aussie for me.

I love these games when they come around. I'm from Ireland and played Aussie Rules most of my life, so I think it is a great concept. Traditionally these games are a bit closer, but the Irish seemed to be outmarking the Australians all night, and were much more potent in front of goal. Although I support the Irish in the series, I'd prefer to see something closer to the All-Australian team running out, creates much more hype and more of a spectacle. And since they started picking teams that were more suited to the game, I'm pretty sure there has been a similar trend of results.
Has been a good year in Australia for the Irish, with both the mens and womens team winning the International Australian Rules Cups earlier in the year :D

the skills with the round ball was a big difference. Aussie kept turning it over and the irish made us pay. Y didnt the aussies throw their weight around a bit more????

the skills with the round ball was a big difference. Aussie kept turning it over and the irish made us pay. Y didnt the aussies throw their weight around a bit more????

because they got told not too. but rocket said after the game that maybe they took the soft approach a bit too much. maybe in the next game the aussies might have a bit more pride on the line and come out fired up. the 2 injuries for the aussies were liam shiels quad and jake king knee/ankle. jack trengove cope a knock too but should be fine.

i just hope they show a bit of ticka and not get pushed around, we are ment to be the professionals and it was just embarresing letting those Irish do whatever they wanted. i know the players would be sat down at the start of every International series and told to behave themselves, and not to look like thugs. well that all changed when we were made to look stupid, i say use our size, use our strenght and start doing some pushing around of our own. this series lost interest when the players stopped showing heart, now stand up for yourselves, dont listen to andrew Demetriou and the other smurfs, and have a bloody go!!!

Up the Irish. Finish them off ;)

---------- Post added 05-11-2011 at 08:28 AM ----------

pffff
If the AFL has learnt anything from this series, hopefully it is that they need to pick their best players to be competitive, instead of resorting to dirty play. Brad Green should of seen yellow a few times, and how Hanley got sent off after Green had him in a headlock, who knows. Worst card was for McKeever, who kept his feet after someone tried to take him out. Mitch Robinson was dirty for the most part as well.
Apart from very early, Ireland stayed in control for most of the game. Highlight being the goal kicked by Leighton Glynn in the 2nd quarter. I enjoyed both games, long may it continue, and the actions of a handful of idiots don't ruin it for the future.

i viewed the game the same as rocket eade, some of the players afl traits came out and it upset the Irish because their not used to being physical, they reacted everytime they got a little bump or shove. but a better team will have a much better chance of winning then the team they picked this year. goal kicking with the round ball and their delivery into the forward line are 2 things they will need to look at for next series. what about the irish coach lol, what a sook. i really enjoyed this series even though we got flogged. few 6 pointers would have been nice by the aussies.

Back
Top Bottom