Idea for a Card Community Charity Project

Wheeldude

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ping
eBay User
wheeldude_888
So I just busted 22 packs of 2012 AFL Champions and got heaps of doubles, triples and even quads which got me thinking...what can I do with all my spares? I know I'm never going to sell or trade them all so what could I do with the excess?

Now I know some kind traders are donating their spares to children's hospitals but I'm an adult now so don't get the opportunity to head down to the Royal Children's Hospital so I thought of something a little different...

It's a bit similar to what Channel 7's AFL Gameday show are doing with their signed and framed Champions cards but a little bigger and a little better, plus my idea will involve anyone who wants to help from this site...a real community innitiative...

So my idea is since there are people from every corner of Australia on this site we can collectively make a set of fully signed 2012 Champions and put it in an album and auction it off on eBay or even have some kind of auction here and donate all proceeds to charity. We could even get the coaches and Andrew Demetriou to sign the team logo cards and the album respectively.

I know we're probably going to have to get the AFL and Select's permission to do this but perhaps this can be the start of an annual tradition started by real collectors on this very site.

Now as you all know I'm in a wheelchair so I can't head down to the club training sessions, never even been to a St. Kilda one but I'd love to run the project though. I can be the central point where everyone sends their signed cards to and I can keep track on who's contributed what, which signatures we're missing etc. I'm guessing training sessions are the best places to get signatures from.

I hope I've explained my crazy idea well enough, perhaps if it's a success we can do one for the NRL too.

So yeah what you all think?

Don't worry I won't pull dodgies, I hate unofficial signed cards, not even if they are Saints players...

what a great idea, I reckon I have a full Port teamset of the 2012 champions signed, I would be happy to send them your way. If you get enough interest let me know.

I would doubt afl and select would let it happen on any official terms, but great idea.

especially if it is made more official ( ie site admin approval) then direct club contact could be made to each, and a signing session arranged and maybe some sort of certification given for each tea set, (surely that would make them worth more too)

surely a member or two in each state could organise there respective teams...

Good thinking, Wheeldude. I hope you can get it to work. Unfortunately I can't help with any signed cards as I don't collect ones that don't have a Certificate of Authenticity. Otherwise, to me they are just cards with scribble on them - how do you prove they are real?

Why in the world would you want a card signed by Demetriou to be included. I despise him. In my opinion, for what it's worth, he thinks he is GOD. To me he has brought the game into more disrepute than Ben Cousins or any other player ever has with the meddling that has gone on with the games rules under his dictatorship. They talk about him getting the largest ever TV deal in history for the AFL. Who says that it wouldn't have happened whoever was CEO at the time. All he is interested in is the survival of the Victorian based teams. I feel like throwing my custard pie at the TV screen every time he appears. I had better stop now before I type something I'll regret!!!

Back
Top Bottom