How the quality of a signature affects value

meeda13

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Lucas
eBay User
meeda13
Hi, I’m interested to know peoples thoughts on this.

I have an Ollie wines card where the signature has a few gaps because of the pen briefly lifting off while signing. I’ve also had a case where the signature has been smudged by a finger print. Also some instances where the pen appears to be fading.

How would this affect the value of a card? And would a ‘rushed’ looking signature fetch less because it doesn’t look as good?

I personally would pay more for a better looking/ full sig but that’s me, perhaps I’m a little too pedantic. I’m sure this has been spoken about in the past but I’m interested in peoples view on this.

8732E3D4-F226-4C33-8737-ECDDB301083D.jpeg

870BF0B8-ADA8-4A63-871B-09B9650DAEB0.jpeg
D40850B6-491D-4EBB-8F95-1FA4A3ACDE3F.png

Last edited:
Depends on the buyer in my experience. I'm the same as you in that I'd pay more for a pristine sig.

I've sold sigs on ebay where flecks of ink have come away or there is some fading/smudge. Some people don't mind.

All I'd say is always disclose.

The signature is important to me . Every case is different .I won’t buy card with smudges or scratches though . I think I may of only purchased 1 of 2 pinnacle from 2009 online due to this . There were some though which were not damaged but hard to find .

Last edited:
The signature is important to me . Every case is different .I won’t buy card with smudges or scratches though . I think I may of only purchased 1 of 2?pinnacle from 2009 online due to this . There were some though which were not damaged but hard to find .
I did notice a lot of riewoldt/ Lloyd captain sigs were scuffed. Even a few of the others. Puts me right off

I always check and ask if I notice something on the signature in the photo , it certainly does affect resale value imo

Personally, I am just happy the player signed it. I don't care what their auto looks like, I don't care if it's a "lazy" signature, I don't care if there are gaps, I'm just happy I own a piece of memorabilia that is signed. Having said that, if the signature is incredibly smudged or damaged, if you will, then I won't get it or potentially sell it off if I pulled it from a pack.
It really depends on the buyer at the end of the day and there are people on both ends of the spectrum. Some want the utmost perfect signature with no faults at all and some are just happy they have a signed item.

Back
Top Bottom