How much is the sports trading cards industry worth in Australia

evolution

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Heath
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and doing research into how much the sports trading cards industry is worth in Australia.

I was wonderiing if anyone knew where i could find this information or had a guide for me.

It would be greatly appreciated, i have always been extremely passionate about sports cards and have truckloads at home so am glad i have found this site.

heath

Welcome to the site heath.
Your question is hard to answer but you have found the largest and greatest card forum/site in australia:D:thumbsup:
Goodluck on your search mate.

Im not sure if there could be even a rough estimate...if you included on line sales/ebay and that would have to include all sports like nba/football/baseball as well as the aussie rules etc.

Hi Heath,

It sounds interesting....what is the research for in particular?

I think you will need to define more specifically what / why you are researching to capture the many variables that such a broad opening statement would encompass.

For example..there are very limited manufacturers of sports cards in Australia....so annual value from the manufacturer perspective would be the easiest data obtained........but they are a limited part of the Australian card industry.....consider that there is a large import segment in the market regarding Basketball so where would this segment fit in the study.

If you look on Ebay there's about 35,000 active auction for sports cards, how do you factor this in.....then there is the $$ passing hands thru other online sites / trading communities / card shows etc

Are you including other collectibles such as Figurines / tazo's etc.

How do you factor in the card value when pricing is subjective due to supply and demand, good marketing v bad marketing (same card may sell for 20 times the price of an exact card) how do you factor in cards that are bought and sold multiple times in the one year....

That is interesting (well maybe)

I buy a pack of cards $5.00
Sell an insert TO X for $5.00
That person then sells the same card to Y for $5.00
I then buy back the card from Y for $5.00

Is that $20 of value to the Sports trading industry or $5....

Good luck...I do a lot of analysis in my line of work so am always interested in a "study" sorry to waffle on and on......but the sound from the keyboard makes me sound busy and replying to your post has filled in enough time to take me to lunch.....;)

Cheers
Ross

Wow...that was very impressive how quickly replies flooded in and also the quality of response.

I was more looking for the revenue that wholesalers the equivalent of UpperDeck or in Australia, Select, would generate.

I am aware that there is a significant amount of swapping and selling between consumers once these have been distributed however I was more looking at the actual manufacturers of the cards.

It is for a project whereby we are looking into the comparitive profitablility of cards in Australia to those produced in various other countries...US, Japan, Etc

Obviously there is a large amount of importing as well which makes it very difficult but it is only in the early stage but i will be sure to keep in touch as you appear to be a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks again,

I will go back to the drawing board and refine my questions.

select Australia would know the answer to that i would assume

Yes they would know.......but as a private limited company they will not tell you........

You could start to work it out easily enough though:

NRL SERIES 2 LIMITED TO 300 CASES X $ PER CASE =
ETC
ETC
ETC

There is some stats company on the net i cant remember what the name is but its for business research and they can pretty much tell you what ever you want to know for a fee. I will see if i can find the paper work at home for what the name was

Back
Top Bottom