How do you collect?

Hornso

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Sam
eBay User
hornso43
Pretty simple question really? How do you participate in the hobby?

Do you PC a player? A team? Bulk sets? Sub sets? Buy what you like? Rip and keep what you get? An speculator/investor?

The product base is so vast right now I'm struggling to figure out where I want to go (I might get into that later, but for now I'm interested in what you do!).

Last edited:
Combo sets and player. With sets, it's only what I can afford (I'm on a disability pension, so limited funds). Ditto with my pc's. With my pc's though, I am realistic - if I can't get certain cards, then I can't get them.

I generally focus on a few key sets and a couple of players, and rotate these if I get bored of them.

Never open anything, just buy singles.

Out of my 250ish total cards, there's maybe 75 that I don't plan on selling at some point, so I tend to always look to shift things to get new things, rather than just expanding my PC forever :lol:

PC player only- although if I see a card I like regardless of player, and if it's within budget I will buy it. :lol:

The past few years, I'd say 80% of my purchases have been within Australia, much rather help out local collectors/ businesses, than for the money to go overseas! Frees up a lot of funds as well.

Noob question, what is "PC"? Player collection? I personally started collecting when I was younger and it was just all Jordans, mostly basics as it was coming off student allowance. I've recently gone back but still prioritise players over whole sets. I find that trading is hard given that I just re-started the hobby and don't know anyone personally to trade with.

I put together a few base sets, sometimes through boxes and sometimes just buy the complete set. For 21-22 im doing Hoops, Court Kings and another i havent decided on which yet. I will also complete an insert set or two from each base set and chase aussie player sigs and sp's that i can afford.

Last edited:
Noob question, what is "PC"? Player collection? I personally started collecting when I was younger and it was just all Jordans, mostly basics as it was coming off student allowance. I've recently gone back but still prioritise players over whole sets. I find that trading is hard given that I just re-started the hobby and don't know anyone personally to trade with.

Hey mate. PC = Personal Collection.

You've come to the right place! There's plenty of good people on here who you can trade with confidence.

If you do start getting into trading be sure you read up on the packaging requirements/ expectations first.

I have spent the past 10+ years collecting anything and everything Paul George. With the increase in popularity my collection value has gone through the roof which is great but it also means I can't buy the mid-high end cards I really want. It has put a dampener on my collecting experience but only recently I'm starting to get the bug again!

Hey mate. PC = Personal Collection.

You've come to the right place! There's plenty of good people on here who you can trade with confidence.

If you do start getting into trading be sure you read up on the packaging requirements/ expectations first.
Do we have a post somewhere on packaging requirements? Would love to trade one day. But apart from old Jordan cards that aren’t mint, I’ve only restarted. Interested in how everyone shows their collection i don’t think I’m ready for ebay yet. Instagram perhaps?

Do we have a post somewhere on packaging requirements? Would love to trade one day. But apart from old Jordan cards that aren’t mint, I’ve only restarted. Interested in how everyone shows their collection i don’t think I’m ready for ebay yet. Instagram perhaps?
I own and have been working with a web development company to build a website to track trading card collections. It's called MERQARY and the below is a screenshot of my Trophy Room (place where you can track your collection digitally).

We are also adding many more features with a trading card specific marketplace coming in the next few weeks!

The site is free whilst we're in a Beta phase! After that there will be a small monthly fee should you want to sell on the marketplace or have more than 150 cards in your Trophy Room.

I also have an Instagram account but find the search functions on MERQARY so much easier to see if I have a card or not. It's also easy to show other collectors what you have for sale or trade.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 9.40.33 pm.png

Can't find it! Haha

@graham Do you know where the thread went that specifies postage requirements?

Can you link it here please?

I buy who I like. I don't collect players or teams. I like nice cards, but don't have many.

I don't have the patience or desire to really collect. I like opening boxes but can't afford it and probably really enjoy just buying sealed stuff because I know I can just sell it off and get my money back. I am risk averse so don't open much but that risk aversion doesn't apply to breaks, of which I need to stop.

After getting caught up in the fun of sending a handful of old cards off for grading early 2021, I've engaged in a ~1 year burst of collecting, and I'm probably a few cards away from completing my meagre PC. I recognise the stupidity of isolating my collecting to this brief moment in time when card values are at absurd heights rather than just waiting a few years for it to cool right off, but I wants what I wants when I wants it.

In that time I've specifically set out to collect;
  • At least 1 rookie, auto or memorabilia card of my favourite 90s players (Jordan, Barkley, Olajuwon, Kobe, Shaq, AI, Penny, Magic), as well as LeBron & Curry. Had to sneak in Giddey too.
  • Mid 90s Jordan cards I wanted as a kid but never had (Scoring King will have to remain a dream only)
  • 93/94 rookie redemption sets

Grabbed a few junkwax boxes to open for fun too.

Most of my purchases last year were graded cards. Switched to raw only this year.

Mainly collect Hall of Fame Players Top 75 All Stars etc . Do prefer mid- to higher end product. Buy some up and coming rookies now and again . Was very heavily involved in Group Breaks but have stopped for a couple months to focus on Grading Submissions , don't intend on going back to group breaks , just too expensive now and value is not there with the limited "hits' in products now.

I'd love to collect a set however my goals can get a bit too ambitious and expensive. For example, I currently have my eye on one particular set at the moment and I'm just not sure if I want to drop the $5000+ over time required to chase it :ermm:

I'd love to collect a set however my goals can get a bit too ambitious and expensive. For example, I currently have my eye on one particular set at the moment and I'm just not sure if I want to drop the $5000+ over time required to chase it :ermm:

I am thinking about just selling all my sealed stuff and singles etc and target all timers, like Sigs of Jordan, Brady etc

Back
Top Bottom