Horrible new 19-20 Panini autos - a note from actual collectors to Panini

GarnettFan4Life

Administrator
Real Name
Matt
COMC User
GarnettFan4Life
1) This is a sign of Panini's respect for collectors as a whole. Does it mean that the main concern is the higher end (Lebron, Doncic, Embiid etc) and blow the rest? Maybe. Does it mean the athletes are TIRED of signing sticker autos? Maybe.

Rookie year 12-13
22.JPG

19-20
koqHorribleHoopsAuto.JPG

2) my modest side collection of Kyle O'Quinn signed with the 76ers on 11 July - and here is the Hoops release 4 months later with Pacers uniform? Minimal in the eyes of most collectors - disgraceful and disrespectful in the eyes of long term and analytical collectors like myself who see past the money making liberties this company is taking. Here is a July 12 pic of the new signings introductions. Or ever heard of photoshop? Surely the production run of Hoops was not 1 July 2019?????

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/12/76ers-unveil-al-horford-co-as-upgrades-in-champion/
76ers_New_Look_Basketball.JPG_t1170.jpg

If any more case needs to be made for the need for some new blood in the card industry, please add to the thread below!

Notes: I love many Panini products! The redemption process annoys the shite out of me but I can see the need for it. The 30 releases per season annoys the shite out of me. I can still see the benefit of a bit of healthy competition in this market space - tell me I'm wrong!

I don't ask for much - just a few nice cards of my fav player/s in their newest possible uni's - is that so much to expect? I think I went almost 2 years without any/a decent O'Quinn release, while retired and random players that noone would ever want to collect, especially in $500 boxes of cards, were attempted to be inserted in every single release that year! Not cool man!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
My issue is it feels like their low end selection of players gets lower and bigger every year.

As a new Broekhoff collector (which I only chose as i suspected he wouldn’t be worthy of any cards after his rookie year) I’m actually disappointed he’s now looking to have sticker autos inmost products this year. I love Rowdy. My fav Aussie player. But CMon, he’s not worthy of auto’s now their not rookie cards...

Anyone come across any 19-20 issues add it here.

Seen a post about a game used card that had supposedly been drawn on the back with a black texta to cross out some words instead of reprint but not sure if legit.

1) This is a sign of Panini's respect for collectors as a whole. Does it mean that the main concern is the higher end (Lebron, Doncic, Embiid etc) and blow the rest? Maybe. Does it mean the athletes are TIRED of signing sticker autos? Maybe.

Rookie year 12-13
22.JPG

19-20
koqHorribleHoopsAuto.JPG

2) my modest side collection of Kyle O'Quinn signed with the 76ers on 11 July - and here is the Hoops release 4 months later with Pacers uniform? Minimal in the eyes of most collectors - disgraceful and disrespectful in the eyes of long term and analytical collectors like myself who see past the money making liberties this company is taking. Here is a July 12 pic of the new signings introductions. Or ever heard of photoshop? Surely the production run of Hoops was not 1 July 2019?????

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jul/12/76ers-unveil-al-horford-co-as-upgrades-in-champion/
76ers_New_Look_Basketball.JPG_t1170.jpg

If any more case needs to be made for the need for some new blood in the card industry, please add to the thread below!

Notes: I love many Panini products! The redemption process annoys the s***e out of me but I can see the need for it. The 30 releases per season annoys the s***e out of me. I can still see the benefit of a bit of healthy competition in this market space - tell me I'm wrong!

I don't ask for much - just a few nice cards of my fav player/s in their newest possible uni's - is that so much to expect? I think I went almost 2 years without any/a decent O'Quinn release, while retired and random players that noone would ever want to collect, especially in $500 boxes of cards, were attempted to be inserted in every single release that year! Not cool man!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Was listening to a podcast today that had a pretty in depth interview with a Product Manager for Panini. In most cases releases can sometimes be designed and locked away 3-6 months before printing and because they share the printing facility with UD and Topps, if they are late on products they may have to wait and that can throw out schedules badly.

In the case of his area he looks after, I'm sure he said they already had made this years Baseball Immaculate/Flawess/National Treasures cards for next years releases so they can be signed over the coming year.

While O'Quinn was signed in July, i reckon the presses for Hoops would have almost been running as soon as they had the first images of the Rookie players probably just after the draft, especially with the Zion craze.........get the cards out there as quickly as they could......which is also why we are seeing errors pop up as when you rush things, you miss things.

I also know of someone who does some baseball works for Topps and he said he is creating sets 12 months out and they will only make a necessary change if a star player is traded but in most cases they go out as is. That's why you see players sometimes in old jerseys for 3-6 months after they have been traded or signed elsewhere.

It's not ideal but its one of the challenges they have to face.

Cheers
Matt

I've only seen a few box breaks of 19-20 Prizm (not buying any at 4x SRP!) and even with all the hype the number of way off centred cards seem to be waaaay up in terms of what I've seen in the past.

Back
Top Bottom