Help with postage

jimboiitmac

miami pride
Real Name
King James
eBay User
jimboiitmac
I was looking for a Aus Post FAQ thread but couldn't find one...

I sent 3 packages today for a flat rate of $8.95 each not including tracking or the packaging.

The padded mailers themselves were only $1.05 or $1.25 but I'm confused about the cost of the shipping and am wondering if anyone could help clear this up for me? For context these are the first parcels I've sent since coming back into the hobby and I charged $4/6 for standard/registered mail based on other threads where I had seen people charging postage...

Looking on the Aus Post website I can see this is the flat rate under their new "If it packs, It posts" pricing and can't see any alternatives (https://auspost.com.au/flat-rate-sending)... I'm fine charging this rate but I'm wondering how other sellers are able to charge less for postage? Am I missing something here?

If you’re going to be doing a fair bit of sending get a bulk lot of mailers from eBay , some are like 50 for $20dlvd or around there, this saves you a little bit, base cost of mailer down to <50c rather than >$1 or more per sale.

also, try to keep them flat as possible once packed, some post office workers will check if it fits in the size guide for letterbox width and if it’s a little too fat it automatically goes as parcel rate, probably $8.95 or more.

i charge $4/$8 for regular/registered which I think is fair given supplies cost increase and some shortages these days it may even have to be $4.50/$8.50. Then I give a $15 express postage option using a small satchel which has been great to avoid delays on higher value sales where people don’t want to wait.

If you’re going to be doing a fair bit of sending get a bulk lot of mailers from eBay , some are like 50 for $20dlvd or around there, this saves you a little bit, base cost of mailer down to <50c rather than >$1 or more per sale.

also, try to keep them flat as possible once packed, some post office workers will check if it fits in the size guide for letterbox width and if it’s a little too fat it automatically goes as parcel rate, probably $8.95 or more.

i charge $4/$8 for regular/registered which I think is fair given supplies cost increase and some shortages these days it may even have to be $4.50/$8.50. Then I give a $15 express postage option using a small satchel which has been great to avoid delays on higher value sales where people don’t want to wait.

Thanks bro, what I mean though, is that it doesn't seem like there was an option to be charged less than $8.95. I used the padded mailers like these ones. They only cost me $1 each basically, it was the flat rate that cost the bulk of it.

From what I can tell I sent them as parcels. What would the alternative be? Letters? But then there's no padding in the packaging?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 5.42.26 pm.png

Thanks bro, what I mean though, is that it doesn't seem like there was an option to be charged less than $8.95. I used the padded mailers like these ones. They only cost me $1 each basically, it was the flat rate that cost the bulk of it.

From what I can tell I sent them as parcels. What would the alternative be? Letters? But then there's no padding in the packaging?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 5.42.26 pm.png

i got what you meant, it sounds like you were charged at parcel rate, how thick was it? I believe it’s 20mm or under for letter rate.

basic bubble mailer rate should be $2.20. I buy $2.20 stamps and just put them on most of mine cause they are thin and light weights. I only go in for registered and express stuff and large boxes.

And Yep always use bubble mailers I just meant they charge you at their letter rate for the bubble mailer.

you could get them bulk from post office or OfficeWorks but I believe they are like half the price of that in bulk through eBay sellers.

i got what you meant, it sounds like you were charged at parcel rate, how thick was it? I believe it’s 20mm or under for letter rate.

basic bubble mailer rate should be $2.20. I buy $2.20 stamps and just put them on most of mine cause they are thin and light weights. I only go in for registered and express stuff and large boxes.

Ah okay that's annoying. In terms of thickness the cards were all in 130pt one touch... Two of the parcels were the thickness of two 130pt one touch back to back not including the added width of the actual mailers...

I also wrapped them in bubble wrap and taped them up though... So I guess I probably made them thicker then they needed to be?

Ah okay that's annoying. In terms of thickness the cards were all in 130pt one touch... Two of the parcels were the thickness of two 130pt one touch back to back not including the added width of the actual mailers...

I also wrapped them in bubble wrap and taped them up though... So I guess I probably made them thicker then they needed to be?

yeah if sending one touches I’d just save all that hassle and put in a small box with bubble wrap and just send as a package anyway, those bubble mailers have been known to get one touches cracked when posted like that for some reason, it’s odd, so if their in a box it’s better and you’re paying the same rate anyway for the weight.

I just do toploaders in the bubble mailers, protected by a couple of old throw away cards or thin cardboard on either side and it’s good to go at the $2.20 rate.

yeah if sending one touches I’d just save all that hassle and put in a small box with bubble wrap and just send as a package anyway, those bubble mailers have been known to get one touches cracked when posted like that for some reason, it’s odd, so if their in a box it’s better and you’re paying the same rate anyway for the weight.

I just do toploaders in the bubble mailers, protected by a couple of old throw away cards or thin cardboard on either side and it’s good to go at the $2.20 rate.

Okay that's really helpful. So basically it's the thickness that I got wrong... I didn't realise I thought it was all just based on weight. Bit annoyed because I had to pay $20 for postage that I didn't charge people for! But hopefully next time can get it right.

For future sales I'll just have to have more options based on what I'm selling.

Yeah I’ve had a couple expensive lessons too lol
live and learn.
and it helps to get to know your post office workers, they’ll help you figure best options and do you a favour now and then with sending stuff.

Here's what I do in general to cut down on postage:
- re-use everything if you can (padded envelopes, toploaders, even stamps that are not marked), it saves the environment
- keep your package under 20mm thickness, if you got more cards, use a bigger envelope, but always keep things flat
- invest in a digital scale so you know how much everything weighs before you even package, keep the weight down so don't use one-touches because they are so thick and heavy
- take the postal worker out of the equation by not giving him the task of costing your packages, they ask way too many questions and just imagine if your package is 1g over the limit and he charges you extra $5
- try to understand the rules (on AusPost website) and work out how much you need to pay, the only thing you need from the post office are stamps

Anyone know if I send a bubble mailer using the regular $2.20 option...how much is tracking extra?

I can't find that on the AusPost website and want to offer at least tracking on one particular sale (still low value but still..)

Anyone know if I send a bubble mailer using the regular $2.20 option...how much is tracking extra?

I can't find that on the AusPost website and want to offer at least tracking on one particular sale (still low value but still..)
Send it Express or as a Parcel, then you will get tracking.

Back
Top Bottom