graham

Site Admin
Real Name
Graham
eBay User
ozcardtrader
COMC User
ozcardtrader
For a long time we have said no to all group breaks on OZCT.

We are now looking at allowing them. But would like input from you guys.

What do you say? Yes or no?

As long as the group break are run by a trusted member it would be fine, I think the ban on group breaks has been a shame as they do add to the site (understand why they were banned)

I voted No

Not because I don't think that there shouldn't be group breaks allowed on here, quite the opposite.

Should definitely be a vetting process though and a cap on the number of people, if everyone can do it then nobodies breaks will fill as they will all be spending $$$ on setting up their own breaks.

Also the NBA part of the forum (I cant say about the other ones) seems to have a lot of people just up and leaving the hobby out of the blue, which could lead to issues.

I'm sure the admin team have a reasonable idea on members capable of preforming such things.

Yes, regulated.

You say no to all group breaks but they advertise in the box break section??

Will I use them, no.

It's been to long not having them so people will go and find there fix, I have great relationships built up over the years with US breakers so I use them, plus they are cheaper and provide a better service.

Yes, also regulated.

I'm liking the way it brings people together by watching breaks live and interacting with others members, getting them more active on the site and hobby in general. Its good for local product, but busting US based product and bought here could be more costly i presume, therefore they will continue to bust in the US?

If we are going to add more breakers, maybe a trial / probationary period for them also, then get the community to give feedback or setup another poll to become full time breaker. Gives community confidence in their delivery, service, price etc. Im sure the sections on here have a fair idea on whos who. Also a cap on the amount of breakers per section, dont want to dilute the pool of customers too much so to speak over too many breaks.

Yes for other than basketball. Basketball breaks here cannot compete with the US do it's a waste of time, player collectors aren't going to pay dumb money for a team based break as it just isn't worth it. So like @Slimzy69 I don't use the one (formerly 2) breakers on here and stick to US based breakers.
But for football, cricket, rugby and AFL would be great as those collectors don't have any real alternatives in comparison. Just my 2 cents
Also i think there should be some application process including documenting feedback from ebay and other forums etc and allowance at the discretion of the mods

In addition how about another poll for a site rule:
Prices must be listed on cards for sale.
Asking for offers or PM for pricing is BS.
If you are selling you know what you want for it so be upfront and ask a price. One of my (and many others) pet hates.

Last edited:
Yes, if a trusted member ran them.

I would like to see someone run them that isn't in it to make a buck (even though I understand the outlays at times).

It is a Hobby after all.

I obviously missed this thread at the time but am bumping it back up with my 'yes but heavily regulated vote'.

If looking at feedback I'd say 409 minimum - hah hah But even then we all remember 'Good Ol Bball' so I guess there is no such thing as a completely 100% safe system....

Maybe a syndicate of approved group breakers? Some sort of escrow or deposit to be held by OZCT? A refundable deposit perhaps? Thoroughly vetted members - address, phone and email addresses etc Plenty of possibilities to make it a reality and make it as safe as possible for all concerned.

I'm happy to be involved at break even so long as there's no risk of the cards being lost in the post. I just enjoy being able to look at some new cardboard and bust some wax from time to time.

Yes
Regulated, members should have to make a request to the admin to have the privilege of breaking to this community. They then should pay a small contribution to ozcard, just like a premium member, then get a banner on their profile like the oct supporters.
Something like that.
I know I'd be keen, to join and mabey even host breaks on occasions.

Curious to understand what constitutes a Group break as don't we already have these in the NRL so how would this differ?

Cheers
Ross

Curious to understand what constitutes a Group break as don't we already have these in the NRL so how would this differ?

Cheers
Ross
I'm not across the rugby breaks mate. Hopefully there's a crossover member basketball/rugby on here can compare how they work.
In basketball Cherry run the case/box breaks. They are team based and only hits (autos,jerseys and #'d) are distibuted. So if rubgy worked this way and you bought Dragons you get no base cards to complete/build a Dragons team set. Additionally if you collected other players you'd have to buy that whole team. In hope of getting a hit for that 1 player and possibly end up with stuff you don't want or nothing at all. So if you paid x $ for Dragons, 20 base cards but no "hits" you get nothing.

Last edited:
Thanks Dylan,

Pretty much the same, although not a lot of individual player collectors in NRL, some though but not many. Often a break will include one set of base cards as well so as a team collector that works reasonable well, although high end cards always seem to end up a separate chase.

Cheers
Ross

Maybe a trial basis and see how it goes? The ease of access for the facebook/YouTube based breaks/auctions groups means traditional forums have seen a significant drop in activity (I know Hobbykings did, anyone frequent other sites like blowout and notice less activity in the past year or so?) so it may be a way to get new members/participants and get the place humming again?

Back
Top Bottom