Billyhoyle

Im Not Juan Garcia
Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
billyhoyle9
sounds pretty serious

Karl to miss time with health issue | All Things Nuggets

The Nuggets called a news conference for 7 p.m., at which time coach George Karl is expected to announce he is leaving the team for a period of time because of a medical condition.

A source close to Karl said he will miss time because of an illness, which the source did not specify.

Karl in the summer of 2005 underwent surgery for prostate cancer, but didn’t miss any time on the bench. At the time, Karl told The Denver Post: “You get scared. There are a lot of days you wake up and, instead of being excited about the day — and I’m an up kind of guy — you wake up worried and fearful. It’s not a good feeling.

“But the more people you talk to, the more it helps you keep your head. That’s how you beat this thing — keep your head and stay smart.”

Karl’s son, Coby, was diagnosed with a thyroid cancer a year later, and it was successfully removed.
Over the weekend, the coach agreed to a one-year, $4.5 million contract extension with the Nuggets. Karl has coached the entire season, and was on the bench Sunday leading the Western Conference All-Stars.

In the past when Karl has missed games, assistant Adrian Dantley takes over.

The Nuggets begin the second half of the season on Thursday at Cleveland.

More updates coming at denverpost.com/sports

George Karl has cancer
February 16, 2010 · Filed Under Denver Nuggets, News

Denver Nuggets Head Coach George Karl announced today that he has been diagnosed with squamous cell head/neck cancer.

While receiving treatment, Karl expects to miss periodic practices and games. He is optimistic he will make a full recovery.

“The support I’ve received from my family, the Nuggets organization and my friends in the basketball community already has been incredible,” Karl said.

Karl, 58, is a cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2005.

“George has been in contact with the organization in recent weeks regarding his health condition,” Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke said. “We will continue to support our head coach in any way we can. Our thoughts are with him and his family as he focuses on getting healthy.”

Out of respect for Karl and his family, the Nuggets will have no further comment.

George Karl has cancer : InsideHoops

Back
Top Bottom