WoobieZarz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scotty
eBay User
WoobieZarz
COMC User
WoobieZarz
Alright, so we've all heard the words "Game Used". And we all know what it USED to stand for, but does anyone actually CARE what it stands for?

I mean, If you have 100 GU cards, regardless of player, and "COAs" on the back, do you actually care if they were event worn?

And do you trust the words on the card, and stick with it?

I mean we've all seen the fine examples how these companies can't guarantee that the piece of jersey has actually been worn by THAT PLAYER, or even that team!!!

Sure, I love the idea that the player has worn the Jersey, or Shoes, or Shorts, or even a Tie, but I really think they're over-rated.

Now, brings me on to GU Floor cards....

Like what the heck!!! :blink:

Just how many basketball courts have they cut up just to produce these cards?

And I'm sure the actual stadium floors these guys have played on are a little thicker than a piece of 2-ply....

Quickly on the floor, yes of course they;re thicker, the bits on cards are simply chips from the top layer if actually floor.

With the Game Used factor, I like the idea that they've touched it but don;t care too much after that. But then I'm not a huge wrap for jersey's since I discovered patches! haha

I would love to see the GU cards have the actual date and stats on the back.

eg.

The jersey contained in this card was worn buy marcus camby on 21st November in game against Chicago Bulls @ Denver Stadium. Marcus was dominant in this game and his stats were 20 boards 12 points 5 blocks!

eg.

The jersey contained in this card was worn buy marcus camby on 21st November in game against Chicago Bulls @ Denver Stadium. Marcus was dominant in this game and his stats were 20 boards 12 points 5 blocks!

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

But as for what they are, don't really care.. and to be honest I don't like this new trend of non-GU lettermen ect, think it's a bit pointless.

Don't really mind if its not game-used, but the least they could do is match up the right relics with the right players...

eg.

What he said!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Exactly guys!

Sounds like no one really cares if they're actually event worn. Just that we'd prefer them to be actually matched up with the correct players (multi GUs), or introduce the game dated stuff.

Collector's dream I reckon, that game dated stuff.

Well..... I guess I am contrary to the general consensus, I would like to think that the GU in a card is actually GU or at least event worn or at least worn..... whatever they claim is on the back of the card. If it ever came out that the GU is not actually GU, I for one would start thinking the same thing about the Autos. And I know nobody wants to spend thousands of dollars for a logo unworn from a replica jersey and an auto from the players secretary. But that is what is going to happen if they start disregarding the COA's on the back.

Lets just look at the words for a second.

Game used......Used in a GAME.

HUGE oversized jersey worn on a photo shoot so they can cut it up to even more pieces than a usual sized jersery..........A total wank.

Balls cut up that they held at photo shoots.......A total wank.

Hats they cut up that they wore in a photo shoot......A total wank.

The term GU is used too lightly these days imo.

Unlike the previous decades I'm under the impression players bust out new jerseys for a lot of the games. Old school players did this a lot less or only as often as new seasons etc. Another reason the non game used lettermen exist for legend player sets like chrononolgy and rightly so.

I've got a rule these days with cards im buying.....I'm only buying cards that contain a GU piece/patch if they are autographed.

That way, if its game used or not....doesnt matter...it's still auto'd.

Cheers
Matt

Well, I hope card companies don't lie.

I really want to have something specific written on the back of the card..it can be easily done, but maybe they don't want to print because they don't really want us to know how many cards they made from a single jersey. one beckett article said 1000-1500 swatches from a jersey depending whether the player is Earl Boykins or Yao Ming.. 1500 swatches is huge amount, I think one player jersey, you can easily insert entire year for products..

For autos, as far as I have learned, Topps always have representatives from Topps to witness the signing for all players, UD, only exclusive players signings are witnessed, the rest, the players' agents or representatives will verify... so, I am not very confident in UD.. coz I have a theory Rodney Carney and Mo Ager's little brothers are signing for them LOL :p

Hopefully, card companies really care about authenticity except some silly mistakes like the days Kareem Abdul-Jabbar playing for New Orleans Hornets :lol:

eg.

That would be awesome!

Im not a huge fan of this 'event worn' jersey stuff, but I really dont care; as more and more memorabilia cards dont have actual game worn jersey pieces, the value of cards that do rise... The flooding of the market is simply UD/Topps responding to customer demands.

For me it must be actually game used.

I collect baseball and bats are cut up and can be chipped to make about 110,000 cards. Imagine how many cards can be made from an old floor ripped up from a stadium that has been replaced. Great recycling if you ask me.

As like many of you over here in Oz who may never get to step into your favourite teams park, stadium or whatever at least I have a piece of a seat used at Yankee Stadium and several pieces of uniform worn by my favourite athlete.

Firstly, I am not a real fan of balls and floors. It is not specific to any player at all.

Secondly, about being "Game-Used" and "Event worn". I do not mind either, as long as they say what event, and, like what has been mentioned earlier, it would be good if they said what game the jersey was worn in.

It would be a given that they do match the player with the right jersey to start off with.

But in all, with all the jerseys they wear these days, I am not a great fan of Jerseys in all, except for those vintage players when they wore only 2-3 jerseys for the entire season. And also love seeing nice patches (as long as they are matched with the right player).

There are too many "worn" stuff out there these days.......jerseys, warm-ups, shorts. The jerseys would be the only one I would be interested in, if I had to choose

Ersk.

Back
Top Bottom