Footy Stars 2021

jimmy_

OzCardTrader
Real Name
James
Is it too early to talk about Select's first release of what will likely be the biggest year the AFL hobby has ever seen?

If we consider that the AFL hobby blew up around the release of Prestige I feel like we are now in unchartered territory when it comes to a series one release

What are people's early thoughts? I expect demand for cards early to be insane with first day/week prices pushing up to new highs on what I suspect will be standard series one fare like gold predictors and numbered Starbursts

Should we expect anything new or different from series one this year? And just how closely will Prestige (or the 2021 equivalent) follow on the heels of Footy Stars this time round?

Is it too early to talk about Select's first release of what will likely be the biggest year the AFL hobby has ever seen?

If we consider that the AFL hobby blew up around the release of Prestige I feel like we are now in unchartered territory when it comes to a series one release

What are people's early thoughts? I expect demand for cards early to be insane with first day/week prices pushing up to new highs on what I suspect will be standard series one fare like gold predictors and numbered Starbursts

Should we expect anything new or different from series one this year? And just how closely will Prestige (or the 2021 equivalent) follow on the heels of Footy Stars this time round?
I doubt there would be prestige again as I think they will do supremacy 2 this year so might alternate those releases, but right now any release will be hot so might do them all who knows, what I am expecting is for footy stars to sell out in record time for that release

I doubt there would be prestige again as I think they will do supremacy 2 this year so might alternate those releases, but right now any release will be hot so might do them all who knows, what I am expecting is for footy stars to sell out in record time for that release

Rumour has it we'll see at least five releases this year

You can bank on another "hobby" version of Footy Stars

Surely only one really high end release is enough!

Supremacy 2 OR Prestige (along with another small Brilliance type set) is manageable.

All 3, along with Footy Stars and another Dominance equivalent, is just overkill.

As mentioned above, surely they alternate years with Supremacy and Prestige.

Genuinely excited for another round of Supremacy. They are amazing cards. But give that quality of release some time to breathe and be appreciated!

Oh and whenever they do decide to redo Prestige, lets hope they come up with something better then the trashy green parallel set. Vote getters were nice. The silver, red, green sets is just lazy cardmaking to increase the overall number of cards.

5??

What are the rumours?

Obviously Footy Stars, series 2 (Dominance equivalent) and Supremacy are confirmed.

Even if they did Prestige again, what would the fifth release be? Another Brilliance?

Surely only one really high end release is enough!

Supremacy 2 OR Prestige (along with another small Brilliance type set) is manageable.

All 3, along with Footy Stars and another Dominance equivalent, is just overkill.

As mentioned above, surely they alternate years with Supremacy and Prestige.

Genuinely excited for another round of Supremacy. They are amazing cards. But give that quality of release some time to breathe and be appreciated!

Oh and whenever they do decide to redo Prestige, lets hope they come up with something better then the trashy green parallel set. Vote getters were nice. The silver, red, green sets is just lazy cardmaking to increase the overall number of cards.

Are you really calling a release that was available for preorder at $125 a box "high end"?

It would be Brilliance and Supremacy that would rotate, not Prestige and Supremacy, wouldn’t it? Don’t reckon Supremacy would have any influence on whether there’s a Prestige release (which I would have thought would be a near certainty after how it went last year).

Are you really calling a release that was available for preorder at $125 a box "high end"?
Completely subjective.

High end for some is low end for others. Not to mention the prices the Brilliance cards went for 100% fit into the high end category.

Not everyone makes bucket loads of cash.

Any other whispers

I know one 90's legendary player was approached to have a signature numbered to about 60 or there abouts.

I have also heard about another who has provided a match worn jersey for the release.

The Jersey player was a current day player.

The Legend was to be on an insert and a signature card.

Completely subjective.

High end for some is low end for others. Not to mention the prices the Brilliance cards went for 100% fit into the high end category.

Not everyone makes bucket loads of cash.

It's not subjective at all, it's actually all relative

~$100/box is low end in this hobby in anybody's language. It's as cheap as a box gets

It's not subjective at all, it's actually all relative

~$100/box is low end in this hobby in anybody's language. It's as cheap as a box gets

Not really.
As I said, high end to some is low end to others.
It's all relative to how much money someone has and is able to spend. Not everyone lives a lavish lifestyle.

Not really.
As I said, high end to some is low end to others.
It's all relative to how much money someone has and is able to spend. Not everyone lives a lavish lifestyle.

In the case above Supremacy and Prestige were both mentioned literally in the same sentence

One is a high end release relative to the other one. The matter of an individuals expendable income really couldn't be less relevant

In the case above Supremacy and Prestige were both mentioned literally in the same sentence

One is a high end release relative to the other one. The matter of an individuals expendable income really couldn't be less relevant
The box price is a good metric for people who buy boxes and resell (either the entire box at an inflated price or the cards as singles).That is fine. However, it is only one perspective. As a team collector, Prestige was not a cheap release at all. As someone who purchases singles, Prestige cost me more then double (closer to triple) what Footy Stars did, and certainly alot more then what Dominance or Brilliance did.

Supremacy is in a league of its own. I get that because the release is incredible. However, to collect a team set, Prestige was much more 'higher end' price then any of the other releases because of the sheer number of low numbered cards. It might not be 'higher end' quality (the cards were horrible when compared to a Brilliance or Supremacy), but the quantity of cards with low numbers made it very much higher end price to collect.

Yes I get that pricing is not Select fault - it is resellers - but it is certainly something Select needs to consider. Especially if they want to undertake a third large release (with 1 card /40, 13 cards /60 and 3 /80) ALSO in the same year as Supremacy . If they go too hard, someone suggested 5 releases above, that will cook some people (like me) who collect team sets and need to purchase singles from a shop or Ebay. Yes there is always the option to just collect one or two releases. But equally, I also have the option to completely walk away because that number of cards (and the prices) just has gotten out of hand.

Again I know Select just determine the price of boxes, but that is one metric. They cannot simply look through that lens when considering their customer base. To ensure demand remains, they have to consider how cards are collected, and that the overwhelming majority of their product is resold. What cards become 'higher end' is not determined simply by the box price. It is determined by scarcity, signatures, popularity etc etc

For me, Prestige was absolutely at the higher end of pricing to collect (which Select knew it would be when the numbered so many cards so low). Lower numbers = greater scarcity = higher prices. I really feel for Richmond or Collingwood collectors who have simply been priced out of some cards. Prestige alone had a Dusty Showstopper /40, a Dusty Brownlow platinum predictor /60 and a Dusty Green parallel /60. Pretty sure that is 'higher end' $$ for a Richmond team collector then anything Footy Stars or Dominance put out

So yes, I stand by Prestige being higher end of the pricing range (even if it was nowhere near the higher end quality of Supremacy or Brilliance). Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
It would be Brilliance and Supremacy that would rotate, not Prestige and Supremacy, wouldn’t it? Don’t reckon Supremacy would have any influence on whether there’s a Prestige release (which I would have thought would be a near certainty after how it went last year).
That's what I've been thinking the whole time, heard lots of people saying they think prestige wont return which has confused me... was such a successful release and really started this massive boom that happened the back half of 2020. I really like having a 'series 1.5' which was a great mix between low and high end cards. Hoping to see it again this year.

As mentioned above, I think the logical way to structure releases for the future would be

1. Series 1 (Footy Stars)
2. Footy Stars Prestige
3. Series 2
4. Supremacy OR Brilliance

Leaves it at 4 releases a year, which is manageable yet also incorporates great variety of cards. Series 1, aimed more at younger collectors, a Series 1.5 as a hobby version, Series 2 moving into the more quality cards before Series 3 being your ultra high-end cards. 4+ releases would honestly start to be overkill IMO

Back
Top Bottom